By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Too many HD consoles games these holydays.

When you look at what is being released every week it's crazy and it's only getting started.

You could say it's nice as a customers to have so much choice but I fear quite a few of these games will have lower sales than expected because of just too many games being released at the same time and even if you have the money, for people like me that only buy the next game once the current one is over this will make us skip games until much later....

I know the holydays is typically the period of high sales but it obviously looks like publishers haven't looked at each others release schedule when setting their release dates and some good games will hurt because of it...

Especially when you consider how bare were some earlier months this year. You could easilly have moved ahead to September or delayed to January/February some of these games and despite them being out of the big holyday selling season still probably have some of them do more sales than they would have done during the holydays...( especially for games that tend to sell high on first week and then  have little legs, this holyday season the only way they will get good sales is through legs and that might prove hard for some of them when they are fighting 10 other good games and are out of the release week hype...)

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

So many great games....Dead Space, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Gears 2, Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Banjo 3, Left4Dead, etc..

I already have my line-up planned, but Fallout 3 getting a 9.6 at IGN is really bugging me, I generally struggle not to get games with that good reviews. Also I am having to ignore TLR for now

My main issue is I am having to leave 4 games until Christmas, but a month probably wont be enough to finish all of them, as in Feburary I have Empire Total War and Killzone 2, there are just too many games!

It will be a real pickle if Mirror's Edge and Prince of Persia end up being reviewed really well....

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

The publishers should have decided to stagger the launches of these games. Too much of the holiday season bull.

Around the Network

Well, I don't know. Combined last year, the HD consoles moved 109M software in November + December.

When the holiday started, there were 18.2M HD consoles.

Today, there are 37.7M

So realistically, I think we could see up to 200M software. Probably at least 175M, and 150M is certain.

For a comparison, the HD consoles have moved 108M software up untill now, in 2008.

As we can say that old HD titles will account for a total of roughly 50M, or perhaps up to 75M, there are somewhere around 100M left to the new HD titles.

So, are there more titles coming out now, than there has been for the rest of the year? If so, it may be a bit stacked, leading to slightly lower sales than one could have hoped.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

There are definitely games that I will have to give a miss, and if they had released on a staggered schedule, I could have afforded them all.

Agree with your post. I guess it means plenty of top games left to pick up in January and February though.

I just dont have the time to play (and finish) 1 game a week let alone 3.

there are to many games period

I have no time to play all of them