By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Where is your clothes washer? And other appliance talk.

Its in my bathroom in my apartment. I am used to having it near the kitchen. I am not at all opposed to it being in the bathroom.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

In the laundry room.

In the basement.

Kitchen? Ew.

Bathroom? Death?

Basement is the only option.

@TWRoO
Thank you very much for your well thought out response. :) It was very insightful.

We have clothes lines too, but obviously we can only use them in the summer.

And of course the kitchen is the most factually and micro-biologically dirty room, psychologically, I feel the bathroom would be.

We have our washer and dryer in the wash room inches from the kitchen. They are pretty sweet - front loaders that require this hella expensive HE detergent. It actually lasts a lot longer than the regular stuff - took us like 2-3 months to run through a bottle.

I think our next set of washer/dryer will definitely be frontloaders. They save money with less water/energy used. I love them.

The other stuff in our townhouse came with the place.

Around the Network
Dogs Rule said:
@TWRoO
Thank you very much for your well thought out response. :) It was very insightful.

We have clothes lines too, but obviously we can only use them in the summer.

And of course the kitchen is the most factually and micro-biologically dirty room, psychologically, I feel the bathroom would be.

Well quite, if it rains we have indoor clothes racks, which like the ironing board require space we only really have in our living room/dining room (they are the same room)

And psychologically I think my bathroom is pretty clean, my bedroom not so much at the moment.

Our washer/dryer combo is in the kitchen like most British houses. We have no basement. A point I should make is that a lot of US washing machines, from my Boston experience, are top loaders. Mostly in the UK we have front loaders that fit under the work surface and are disguised as cabinets.

Wash basket is upstairs in the bedroom. Most stuff is dried on an airer or the radiators. Saves a lot of money over putting it in the dryer.

We have the washing-machine in the basement. I live in a "canal-house" (see picture, the brown one) and these things have basements so we keep it there as it's also for general use for all inhabitants (I live with two mates, and their uncle here... the whole thing has 7 floors so it's spatious enough.)

Anyway, funny you should mention the dishwasher. We found out only a month ago we had one... and not only because we looked everywhere. Suddenly one of the mates' girlfriends said: "Hey, why don't you use the dishwasher"... we could only look at eachother dumbstruck... : "uhm..we didn't buy any tablets... and well.. water ain't cheap!"

We still haven't used the dishwasher :p.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

I can confirm this, as my bf lives in the UK. The washer/dryer is in the kitchen... There isn't room anywhere else and there isn't a basement. I did some washing and it never really bothered me. Don't need to get there naked if you still have one spare clean!

So it isn't a problem, really. Oh and that dishwasher idea, I LOVE IT! >XD

I have my laundry room right off my kitchen in another room as it's all on the main floor. Right now, my basement (which is actually for the most part ground level, or just barely below ground level on one side, it's a raised ranch) has nothing in it besides storage of my old HDTV, and a few other things that I'm trying to sell on craigslist.

And I'm very happy that my washer and dryer are on the main living area as it makes it easier to do the laundry since I don't have to go up or down stairs.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.