By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - will next gen games cost $70?

following the sick pattern we have seen of games jumping $10 each gen

Around the Network

I dunno... some Genesis games were $70, and N64 games were $70. It will be $50-$90. I think they will actually go down to $50; Sony+Microsoft saw that going to powerful doesn't pay off, so they will scale back on power next gen, lowering dev costs.

Games were $70-90 on the N64, and I don't remember PS1 games being $40 (never owned one, so I didn't look a lot), so I am really enjoying the $50 games on the GC/Wii.

Also, game prices may go up on the other two consoles, but I bet Nintendo will try to keep costs low and stay at the $50/game.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I hope the prices in Europe don't go up. Here in the UK a lot of 360/PS3 games released at £49.99 - almost $100 given the exchange rate.

A lot more retailers are selling below the SRP this generation though, and prices tend to be dropping faster (on non-Nintendo platforms).

If so then it will be back to the N64 days for me.

And I'm earning a lot more money now than I was back then.

Around the Network
skunkfish said:
I hope the prices in Europe don't go up. Here in the UK a lot of 360/PS3 games released at £49.99 - almost $100 given the exchange rate.

A lot more retailers are selling below the SRP this generation though, and prices tend to be dropping faster (on non-Nintendo platforms).

you are way off. After you include US taxes, it is closer to a US$74 game. It is still expensive, but only 3/4 what you stated.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Just pondering things, if a lot of people in Europe follow my way of thinking it may explain the lower first week sales but longer-legs of games.

I would never really buy a title at the full-price, I'd usually wait a few months until the price comes down (I'm considering picking up GTA4 now its £25 instead of £45).

Maybe.

@PandaexpressPanda - I'm not sure what you are talking about. There were a few SNES games that sold for $70 when they come out, for example thats how much I paid for FFVI. I think they just adjust the price based upon what they think people will pay for the game.

i feel like some people were getting ripped off during the n64 days. i remember a few games being $70 at the most(maybe one or two at 75), while most were 60. and like half way into the system's lifespan they brought all new games down to $50 to compete with psx cd prices. i probably got 2 or 3 games over 60 bucks, and probably like half my games were bought at $50 brand new.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy