By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Official sales figures?

I know at the end of march or something each company lists how many consoles they have made or sold to stores.  I was wondering when we will get the next official numbers of just those.  Last i heard Sony sold 5.5mil, 360 sold 11.9mil and the wii sold 5.84mil.  And i know this site uses sold to custumer not stores, i just want to know the store figures if anyone has them. 

Around the Network

First Quarter reports for all three companies should be out soon.  I believe MS released theirs last week, but I don't remember the number they reported.

Phalanx said:
First Quarter reports for all three companies should be out soon.  I believe MS released theirs last week, but I don't remember the number they reported.

Are the companies required to tell the truth?

llewdebkram said:
Phalanx said:
First Quarter reports for all three companies should be out soon. I believe MS released theirs last week, but I don't remember the number they reported.

Not sure about other countries but yes, public statements about sales and earnings must be accurate. Intentionally falsifying this type of information gets you busted Enron style.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
llewdebkram said:
Phalanx said:
First Quarter reports for all three companies should be out soon. I believe MS released theirs last week, but I don't remember the number they reported.

Not sure about other countries but yes, public statements about sales and earnings must be accurate. Intentionally falsifying this type of information gets you busted Enron style.

Yep, as you said.  However, their advertised figures throughout the rest of the year can be anything from creative wording to blatant lies.  For example, Microsoft said they sold 10 million 360s by the end of last year, but what they really meant was they had sold 10 million 360s to retailers by the end of last year, and it was misinterpreted by many gamers.  Sony and Nintendo both do the same.  Quarterly reports will probably however not show what the stores have sold as it's really not part of the company's earnings.

Around the Network

well for nintendo right now shipped wii = a sold wii since there are really none on shelves.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

naznatips said:
Sqrl said:
llewdebkram said:
Phalanx said:

Yep, as you said.  However, their advertised figures throughout the rest of the year can be anything from creative wording to blatant lies.  For example, Microsoft said they sold 10 million 360s by the end of last year, but what they really meant was they had sold 10 million 360s to retailers by the end of last year, and it was misinterpreted by many gamers.  Sony and Nintendo both do the same.  Quarterly reports will probably however not show what the stores have sold as it's really not part of the company's earnings.

Sony also claimed the 2 million mark back in 2006 to tout that they had beat the 360's launch numbers from 2005 (ignoring the Wii's numbers completely). Then their financial report revealed that only 1.8 million had been sold to retailers. Not to mention that while the 360 was soldout, the PS3 had only sold about half of those units to consumers.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Through June 30, 2007 official shipped figures stand at:

Xbox 360 - 11.6 million

Wii - 9.27 million

PS3 - ?

Since Sony is not even at 4 million sell through yet, I imagine they have only produced around 500,000 PS3s this quarter...since they had made 5.5 million last fiscal year, and shipped 3.8 million PS3s to stores.

My guess is Sony is at 4.5 to 5.25 million PS3s shipped to stores, and 6-6.5 million PS3s made.  I imagine they don't have a whole lot of excess stock since Sony wants to get rid of the 60 gig SKU to make more money on the 80 gig SKU.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

PS3owner said:
I know at the end of march or something each company lists how many consoles they have made or sold to stores. I was wondering when we will get the next official numbers of just those. Last i heard Sony sold 5.5mil, 360 sold 11.9mil and the wii sold 5.84mil. And i know this site uses sold to custumer not stores, i just want to know the store figures if anyone has them.

June Numbers so far are posted by TheSource above me.

Phrasing it as a question prevents people from flaming you, good move.

I really hope that it was an honest mistake on you part, and not an attempt at fanboyism but I think it is amusing that you pull numbers that were never announced, and that the PS3 and Xbox just so happen to be inflated and the Wii just so happens to be 3.5 million short. If this was on purpose, I am greatly disappointed.

I don't know what upsets me more people who talk out of their ass (me) or people who play ignorant.

(edit: I am just joking and not trying to flame you.  I just think the two types of fanboys (you and me) have some amusing traits.)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.