By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will there be a system next-gen that could TOP PS3's graphics?

yellow15 said:
Game console real time rendering photo realistic?

Computer Graphics in latest big Hollywood movie (which took hours to render each frame on "super computers") are still not 100% photo realistic yet and still improving every year.

Word.

There has not been, to this day, a Hollywood production which utilizes CGI that doesn't look outdated 10 years on - which is the average lifetime of a console. 

Around the Network

This seems like a pointless question.

atleast one maker will go for the super duper system again and yes have the ability to do better graphics.

rickthestick2 said:
Diomedes1976 said:
IF the Wii wipes out the floor with the competition then we wont see anything more powerful .All the companies will try to bring the least powerful an cheaper console and flood it with remakes of old games and casual games to "win " at the Wii style .

And who knows, maybe by some miracle of science we'd be able to harness the power of Ultra Violet rays to use instead of Blue rays.

That's a logical conundrum.  Science cannot be defined by miracles, which is the realm of the religious.

"Gran Turismo 5 looks more realistic than a real car"

This one goes to my sig! :D

Oh... the topic doesn't includes PC's of around $700 right? :P

Soriku said:
leo, seriously, shut up.

You don't compare games to real life and 4-D is time as stated above. If Sony said the PS3 has 4-D graphics they are ganboys within fanboys and utter idiots.

I havent posted since 3 hours. I didnt compare the game to real life, n4g did.

mM
Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

In 2011 it should be reasonably easy to produce a system that is 5 to 10 times as powerful as the PS3 at a cost low enough to sell the system for (roughly) $300 ...

As long as a company sees value in increasing the processing power we will see the technology progress

So Nintendo won't be building it huh? :p

Of course graphics will improve, but the closer we get to photo realism, then the closer we get to what is called the.... damned if I can remember or find it... effect.

It's where people are disturbed by "too" realistics animations and robots because the little defects that are not right freak us out. It was used as a possible reason to why the reception to FF: the Spirits Within was so bad. What was this called?

Whoever started this thread should be shot (I kid, I kid - kinda). Suggesting we've already reached that magical threshold of visual realism is ludicrous:

[ Monochrome ]
C

[ CGA ]

[ EGA ]

[ VGA ]

[ Last-Gen ]

[ This Gen ]

Notice a pattern here?

The fact is, graphics will continue to improve - and to suggest that we have already reached visual Nirvana with the PS3 is simply rubbish. Graphics will continually improve over time, as it always has.

And to whoever brought this up: Please explain how it is even remotely possible that graphics can in the future surpass realism? Additionally, even hinting that graphics today are looking more "realistic than real" is silly especially when upon scrutiny you can definitely tell the difference - be it GT5 or the much-vaunted Crysis.

And Diomedes, what you are suggesting is simply ludicrous. Do you really, and I mean REALLY think that "IF the Wii wipes out the floor with the competition then we wont see anything more powerful"? Apart from these screenshots that prove otherwise, count your lucky stars that Wii dominance didn't start 20 years ago, because we would then be limited to these type of graphics:

[ ASCII ]

Which, needless to say, is preposterous.

Paperbag said:

This is an awful thread.

The next-gen platforms from Sony and MS will go way beyond what the PS3/360 can do visually.  Way beyond.  Please tell me you don't think things look so good now that there's nowhere to go...  The designs for the next consoles are already well underway in terms of planning and what not.  They won't be going backwards or standing still in terms of tech.  Well, atleast not Sony or Microsoft.

It'll be a miracle if the next Nintendo system even reaches PS3 level graphics.  God knows that Nintendo will not even try to keep up with the tech curve.  I wouldn't be surprised to see their next console be only slightly more powerful that what the Wii is now.  When it should atleast be about 1.5x the power of the PS3.  Cost wise, they should be able to make system slightly more powerful than PS3, at $250 retail, and still make a profit in 3-4 years when it comes time for a new machine.

With all the money Nintendo has made and will make this gen, they sure as hell better step it up for the next machine in terms of tech. 

Wow so you believe that the business model that people should follow is to be profitable 3-4 years into the systems life cycle. It's so funny that Nintendo gets criticism like this when they are so successful right now. You know Nintendo has the most multi-million software sellers don't you? Their stock is through the roof, they have developers banging down their door, and the Wii is still hard to find. I just don't know how people think that Nintendo is doomed cause they don't have the best graphics.

I can not believe how much "discussion" this is bringing up.

To answer the original question, of course there will be better graphics next gen. There is still (albeit little) room for improvement.

Regarding "4D", clearly half of you failed physics. The fourth dimension is time. Which means either the PR people at Sony are idiots or they're relying on the people who latch onto such buzzwords to be idiots.

I honestly can't believe this thread is still going.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

WiteoutKing said:
I can not believe how much "discussion" this is bringing up.

To answer the original question, of course there will be better graphics next gen. There is still (albeit little) room for improvement.

Regarding "4D", clearly half of you failed physics. The fourth dimension is time. Which means either the PR people at Sony are idiots or they're relying on the people who latch onto such buzzwords to be idiots.

I honestly can't believe this thread is still going.

It's definitely the latter.