By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bioshock religious references MUST BE RECALLED!

Impulsivity said:
In America I run into stories about abortion clinics being blown up and doctors shot year after year without fail. Then I watch people like Sarah Palin refuse to call these people what they are, terrorists. If events like that which continue today and have been going on for hundreds of years in both the US and Europe lead me to be somewhat annoyed about the excesses perpetuated in the name of religion I don't think I'm being too unreasonable.

A lot of people do good work in the name of religion, say, working at a soup kitchen. A lot of the same kinds of people do the same kinds of work with no religious involvement though. There is the religious Salvation Army but then there's also the non religious peace corps. Religion is not required to help people.

On the other hand I have never ever run into a situation where an atheist committed atrocities because he was anti god and wanted to show the world how anti god he could be. 9/11, abortion clinic bombings, doctors being shot, gays being denied basic rights, slavery and countless other dark days in American history have heavy religious community ties. Just today I found out that the Mormon church has given tens of millions of dollars in league with other religious institutions to support prop 8 here in california, a prop that ensures gays are denied any and all marriage rights simply because of their inborn sexual orientation. Why? Because the Bible says God thinks they're sinners of course!

Personal religion is fine, sometimes even a positive influence in the lives of some people. Public religion is not fine and must be guarded against.

It is fine to hold strong beliefs and live with god in your heart every day. What is not OK is pushing those beliefs on others either through infringing on their freedoms (prop 8), taking their lives without good reason (killing doctors), carrying out acts of terrorism (9/11, abortion clinic bombings) and taking other such actions. Just as in Islam there is a difference between the peaceful practitioner and the radical, there is the same split in Christianity. I put missionary work in the 2nd category, it is theological warfare designed to destroy the beliefs of others and supplant them with Christianity. If it is fine to be a Christian and Christians believe they should be free to practice, and they are correct in believing that, then why is it not fine to not be a Christian and be left alone without being subjected to endless conversion attempts?

Again though, boys and girls club, Peace Corps, Teach for America and countless other public service organizations exist all over America without needing religion as a reason to do good. Those who do good only because they seeks some kind of heavenly reward are not in fact good people, but more theological brown nosers. Those who are truly do good are willing to do good with or without reward and those kinds of people do exist both in and out of churches.

Exibit A of an athiest who does good work and has a generous heart? Warren Buffet
http://atheism.about.com/b/2006/07/07/warren-buffet-atheist-philanthropist.htm

He has given more to charity then anyone else alive and continues to do so (he's giving his entire fortune, which will probably be near 100 billion at the time of his death, to secular charitable causes). That kind of assertion that only religious people can be good moral human beings is precisely why overt public religiosity is so destructive.

Alright. You assumed to much, but I'll better explain where I am coming with that comment.

I live in South Louisiana and have weathered two drastic hurricanes in three years. Besides our slowly improving state government, the churches in the area were the only ones helping out (giving away food, tarps, and even gas).

Not once did I say or think that all athetists have bad moral values. I know some awesome people who are atheists.

And you must have much hate going on, because your attempts to generalize a few attacks are Christianity's violent crusade against the world are so one-sided, it's funny. It's like me saying that Muslims are all terrorists. Not true.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I guess most people are ok with Bioshock  because it can be interpreted in a number of different ways. Also on average I would say most Christians keep their religion to themselves and aren't overly sensitive, especially when it comes to works of fiction.

christianity is flexible I as a catholic don't care about those things.

F.U. Fun University.

thanks for all your opinaions i was just saying that,

WHY IS SONY TREATING ISLAM DIFFERENT TO CHRISTIANITY?

outlawauron said:
Impulsivity said:
Have none of you ever read Atlas Shrugged? The bible "smuggler" being crucified as the worst of all possible parasites is a direct reference to the rightful place of religion in Ayn Rand's worldview. By rightful place, of course, I mean no place at all. There is nothing more destructive in society, any society, then the presence of religion and as such the most devious, devilish and damned man is the man who chooses (and it IS a choice) to be a missionary.

I can't say I wholly disagree with the people around the world who scare off, or even sometimes kill, missionaries in places like the Middle East, Asia and the like. They clearly don't want the BS preaching; that BS has already ruined a large portion of America (abortion clinic bombings, bigotry, Prop 8, Sarah Palin being a possible president and Bush being a current president...ect ect ect) and Europe (the Inquisition, the Holocaust, the endless wars around the reformation, the Crusades ect.) why in the world should anyone be allowed to spread that destructive Christian nonsense to the paradise Andrew Ryan was trying to create...or anywhere else for that matter.

We must live in much different places. Religious groups are the only ones who actually help the community.

And I've never met a devious or devilish missionary.

I dont know how many people are aware of this..it happened sometime after the tsunami in 2005

BISCUITS FOR JESUS

http://www.sepiamutiny.com/sepia/archives/000963.html

Im not saying all missionaries are evil but I guess everyone goes astray once in a while.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network

what double standard? LBP is sony made, Bioshock is TakeTwo made.. who is doing the double standarding?

oliminator1994 said:
thanks for all your opinaions i was just saying that,

WHY IS SONY TREATING ISLAM DIFFERENT TO CHRISTIANITY?

Sony isn't doing anything, because it isn't their product. Send an email to Take Two. They put out the game, NOT Sony.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I think the difference is that people that believe in christianity don't care.
A while back someone drew a picture of Muhammed in a cartoon strip and millions of people called for his death.
It's only normal to think that one shouldn't reference islamic culture.