By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it worth buying Mushroom Men: Rise of the Fungi (Wii)?

I've been anticipating Mushroom Men since it was announced. Glad to see it getting a positive review.

@ Oyvoyvoy - Boom Blox and Zack & Wiki are most certainly not mini-games.

Around the Network

Dude.....I saw the game title and had to stop in here.

It sounds RETARDED, but if it's getting good ratings, then go for it

But...it's... CREEPY!!!
No, really, after having played Temple of Elemental Evil, I didn't finish it, but just to try I reached once the final level through the short way (almost unbeatable, the party needs to go through the longer way to be strong enough and have some necessary advantages before fighting Zuggtmoy), every animated mushroom looks evil to me!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

What!? Miyamoto is fighting a fish in the second pic. Yes he is! Look at the poster :O

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I'll get the game when it hits 20$...

Former something....

Around the Network
famousringo said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
thekitchensink said:

It's impossible to get points that aren't made.

You obviously haven't played Z&W or Boom Blox.  Unless you consider Tetris, Meteos, Peggle, and Lumines 'mini-games', Boom Blox is absolutely not one.  It has an incredible amount of depth, a lengthy story mode, many different modes of play, and is highly challenging even over periods of many hours.

Zack and Wiki... *facepalm*  Phoenix Wright, Discworld, Monkey Island all say hi.

You get my point, right?

Crap, I had typed up this relatively long post explaining what I didn't like about Z&W and Boom Blox, and why they, despite that I like them, are bad games. I also mean something entirely different than you when I say mini-game, at least assuming I now understand what you put in it.

Then Opera suddenly said that it had to be closed and everything disappeared. Great -.-

I guess the word "mini-game" makes a lot of people think I'm attacking games here.

My point was, that even though they're a heck of a lot of fun (well, at least Zack and Wiki), they feel more like user-created games on the PC, with some odd flaws and totally unbalanced difficulty.

If you're trying to refer to production values, Boom Blox is the only one I would describe as having low production values. de Blob has better production values than any other third party game yet released on Wii, IMO. Z & W was no slouch either. I've never seen an indie project which could compare to either of these games, despite what some toolbags say about the original PC de Blob.

Even though I suppose an indie PC dev could have made Boom Blox, it does have well over ten hours of content, plus multiplayer. Doesn't quite qualify as "mini" to my mind.

Back to Mushroom Men, I'm not at all surprised to see complaints about the camera on a 3D platformer. I've yet to see a 3D platformer which didn't have at least minor camera frustrations. Par for the course. If that's the only problem with the game then it's gonna be great!

Okay, I apologize. I shouldn't have used the word mini-game. It's definately the wrong word, and attempting to say what I tried to say in my first post is now close to impossible. I'll try though.

I love Zack & Wiki, but honestly, the game has incredibly many flaws. I'm not going to list them and get a new discussion up for that.

I liked Boom Blox, but it became incredibly predictable, and almost all the levels were overly easy. Even most of the super challenges (or whatever the most difficult on adventure or explore is named), is very simple once you learn how the developers think. Using the create a stage tool, I feel that if 20 people came toghether, they could have made all the main stages in the game in like 2-3 weeks. Not an indie game, but personally, I feel that the game is a bit incomplete.

As for your last paragraph, I never get this complaint. I usually don't like 3D platformers (didn't like any Crash game, nor any Mario before Galaxy), but the camera has never really bugged me. I'm very interested in this game though.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

trestres said:
What!? Miyamoto is fighting a fish in the second pic. Yes he is! Look at the poster :O

Yeah but the joke is : Musushi

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

I'm getting it day one :)

Les Claypool soundtrack, effort put in its development, pint sized character (which means huge worlds)... and most of all, my gut feeling.

Makepeacefox said:
Voltaire said:
I would get it. Its a new (and apperently high quality ) IP for Wii, and how many of those do we get? Besides, like you said, we need to support this. OF course if your on the fence id wait for more reviews, but the game looks awesome already. If the camera is controlable it wont be a problem for me.

The review says that the camera is controllable in that you can focus it back behind the main character Pax, but that you can't lock it onto enemies.

This could already make it better than Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (at least the PC version), where the  camera changed far too often with no reasonable criterion and the only alternative to auto-camera was a fixed, distant sidelong framing with little usefulness.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!