By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The selling power of Gran Turismo

321tttrini4everz said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
colonelstubbs said:
GT5 will be a 7 million seller at least guarenteed...but as someone said above, by the time it comes out, will the PS3 still be relevant?

I hope so

7 M at the least? With the shitty sales this gen? Get out of the PS2 era. So you're suggesting that a little less than half of PS3 owners will buy this game? LOL....wow. If it gets 7 M this gen, with the sales of the PS3 installed base, it will be a miracle. GT4 sold nearly 9.50 M out of over 100 M+ consoles sold on the PS2. Do the math. Thats less than 10%

gamecube sold 21million units and the highest selling game sold 7 million.....the install base was so low....

hmmmmmmm

Yeah, which is a rarity as I said before if you've seen all of my posts. Top games seem to stand alone. The Xbox 360 has surpassed the Gamecube's sales and reached 8 M in units sold from Halo 3. This was way before they reached the 20 M consoles sold. It's obviously because it's the main console game. Expect Halo 3's sales to go up a couple M units past christmas from the new purchasers of the 360.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Munkeh111 said:
Griffin said:
libellule said:
GT5 will be huge : YES

but WHEN !!!!!!!!!!?????????

Late 2010 maybe =((

But 2010 will be the year of the PS3, GT5, FF13 NA/Europe, FFv13 Japan, and R3 =)))

Hehe, every year is the year of the PS3!

@ stage, if the PS3 sells as much as it did last holiday, the PS3 will be up at around 20m, but it will sell more as it is already tracking much higher, so I would guess about 22m. That would mean that it would likely be over 30m by the end of 2009 when GT 5 comes out, and probably at a price closer to $300.

@ waron, so you are suggesting that the game will be released in 2011, and the PS3's price will still be $400? You are also saying that there will only be that one good game on the PS3, so you are suggesting that about 5 years of games are worth nothing? Prologue is nothing compared to the full game, there are only about 5 tracks, and Sony will not increase that that much. There are already plenty of arcade simulators around, and arcades are dying outside of Japan as far as I am aware, and surely that would have affected the series before now anyway.

I'm guessing it will launch to a 30-32m user base roughly at the end of 2009, and it will certainly boost sales over that holiday, and it should have good legs as I am sure Sony will support it for a long time. Getting to 10m is another question. I think it will likely only make 8-9m

The Holiday season isn't going to be as good as I thought it was. I don't expect the PS3 or the 360 to sell as much as I thought before. I would say you were crazy if you thought the PS3 was going to get 5 M as you are predicting. They will sell somewhere around 18-19 M consoles by the end of the year.

you will eat your words like everyone did last year about Ps3 sales

I edited my post. You will eat your words. The PS3 will sell 20 M next year.

@S.T.A.G.E

stop frikkin editing your posts all the time

you said PS3 won't be above 18 - 19 million this year

& YOU WILL eat your words for that....

if you've edited your post its not my problem....as anyone who makes lousy predictions can keep on editing them n saying...HA now you will eat your words.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@S.T.A.G.E

stop frikkin editing your posts all the time

you said PS3 won't be above 18 - 19 million this year

& YOU WILL eat your words for that....

if you've edited your post its not my problem....as anyone who makes lousy predictions can keep on editing them n saying...HA now you will eat your words.

Obviously you beat me to the punch in posting. Too bad if you don't like that i'm editing, but I thought over before I even saw your post.

Assuming GT is released 2010, the PS3 userbase should be above 30mil. In fact, if released late that year it may even be approaching 40mil. 10mil wouldn't be impossible at that point. The userbase doesn't entirely determine how well games will sell.

If you don't believe me, just look at the N64. In the US, about 20mil N64's were sold, compared to over 40mil PS1's. Yet, look at how the top 5 selling software ended up looking like:

Super Mario 64 Nintendo 6.87m
GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 5.77m
Mario Kart 64 Nintendo 5.52m
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Nintendo 4.08m
Gran Turismo Sony Computer Entertainment 3.99m

Over time Gran Turismo has developed into the Playstation's "top game" (unincluding GTA of course). The smaller userbase won't be quite as damaging as you seem to believe. We don't have complete data for GT3, so I'll just give Japan's numbers: when Japan had 5.6m consoles sold, GT3 sold about 1.7m. That's a 30%+ attach rate. Should be high enough, don't you think?

Around the Network

- GT3 launched on a 10/20 million user base (i'm using shipped numbers) this pretty much ruins any PS3 user base to small argument.

- GT5P is the highest selling non full GT game, an that's not counting PSN sales.

- GT5 is unquestionably PS3 biggest exclusive and likely the biggest exclusive left this generation.

Using facts alone pretty much shows GT5 is gonna be GT3 huge if not bigger.

I bought my PS3 mainly for GT5P. All other games coming out on PS3 are just like a plus to me.

twingo said:

- GT3 launched on a 10/20 million user base (i'm using shipped numbers) this pretty much ruins any PS3 user base to small argument.

- GT5P is the highest selling non full GT game, an that's not counting PSN sales.

- GT5 is unquestionably PS3 biggest exclusive and likely the biggest exclusive left this generation.

Using facts alone pretty much shows GT5 is gonna be GT3 huge if not bigger.

GT5 will never outsell GT3 in lifetime sales. Unless the high game purchasing section of the PS3 installed base increases quickly, GT5 will not even sell past GT4.

@STAGE: It's like you completely missed my post.  The one directly following the OP.

BOTH versions of DMC4 are tracking above DMC3.  Combined, they've more than doubled the sales of DMC3 by this point in the game's lifetime.

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Devil+May+Cry+3+-+PS2&reg2=All&game2=Devil+May+Cry+4+-+PS3&reg3=All&game3=Devil+May+Cry+4+-+X360&weeks=100

Total DMC3 only sold 1.92 million, while both versions of DMC4 have already passed the million mark.

makingmusic476 said:

@STAGE: It's like you completely missed my post.  The one directly following the OP.

BOTH versions of DMC4 are tracking above DMC3.  Combined, they've more than doubled the sales of DMC3 by this point in the game's lifetime.

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Devil+May+Cry+3+-+PS2&reg2=All&game2=Devil+May+Cry+4+-+PS3&reg3=All&game3=Devil+May+Cry+4+-+X360&weeks=100

Total DMC3 only sold 1.92 million, while both versions of DMC4 have already passed the million mark.

Oh, I get you now.