By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people think there are no such things as system sellers?

Hawkeye said:
xman said:
sethnintendo said:
Hawkeye said:

Even though it will cost $500, it will be worth it becuase I will be able to play all those PS2 games I could live without since they all cost $2-$25 now.

Didn't they take out the ps2 backwards comptability with the newer generations?  I guess you could buy a first generation ps3 for it.  I don't know too much about when they took it out but I am pretty sure they did....

Yes they did thats how they dropped the price they ripped out the emptio engine, and once they did that they lost my sale.  I hav e 50 ps2 games and tow againg PS2 I am not getting a new ps 2 $130.00 and a $400.00 ps3.

PS2 is worthless for me. PS3 upscales P2 games into 420P at least so they will be playable on my HDTV. SNES and N64 plays like crap on my HDTV, and Saturn is literally unplayable.

So you have the old PS3 wiht the emotion engine in it? cause the new ones dont play ps2 games

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network

Surely there are. I bought a PS2 just for Final Fantasy, for instance

I believe that people will buy a game because they really want a game or two but not just because of that game. I know very few gamers who would buy the game on the system they just bought and then never buy another game for it. It's simply a case of a game or two pushing them over the top to buy the system.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

There is such a thing as system sellers, but I think some people have the expectation that one or two games will turn a system's fortunes around entirely.

That is possible, but very rare (Wii Sports), and in the long run you need many more games to keep the momentum going.

Interestingly, I think the sheer quantity of games is more important than a handful of awesome system sellers. This is what Nintendo learned while losing to Sony the last two generations. Sony fans will deny it but Playstation and PS2 were the kings of shovelware in their generations - and there's no denying they had the largest quantity of games. The difference is they also eventually wound up with a lot of great games (especially PS2), but that could still happen with Wii, we're only two years in.

They say it because they hate the Wii and are unwilling to admit that Wii Sports is the greatest system seller ever. Instead they bang on and on about how Wii Sports sales shouldn't be counted because it is bundled or Wii software is only top this week because Wii Sports sales are included.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

I've got a PS3 just for GT5, so I'd say there are!

The reason people say that is because from the estimations on this site very very few games have an actual, direct impact on console sales.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
The reason people say that is because from the estimations on this site very very few games have an actual, direct impact on console sales.

Few games, true, but some games still do, like Monster Hunter, MGS4, and Halo 3.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

Few games, true, but some games still do, like Monster Hunter, MGS4, and Halo 3.

But it's a really small club.

The issue is that because all the data we have is game launches / consoles sold that week, we might be missing things like early birds who are aware the game will eventually land (zelda, mario?), the collective console-pushing power of the gaming library considered as a whole, etc, etc...

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).