By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people think there are no such things as system sellers?

People on this site ahve cleaimed that systems sellers don't exist, but when I sit down and think about it, I realize they do. My dad got me a N64 becuase of super mario 64. I didn't really want a GC until Super Mario Sunshine came out, and I never got Luigi's Mansion. I kinda wanted Kingdom hearts and a knew there were alot of fun games, but I felt I would be fine not playing every game for PS2 except for Kingdomh hearts, and I could live without it since I only wanted it.

I bought a DS for SM64DS, and I would have bought another red DS with mario kart DS if I hadn't know that Nintendo would redisgn the DS (after GB and GBA it was obvious they would since the DS was flawed). I had no interest in PSP until LocoRoco, and then FFT, Jeanne D'arc and Disgaea made me really want to buy the system.

I wanted a 360 for elder scrollls oblivion, but it wans't worth $460 to play one game. Once a new Bajo Kazooie was announced for 360, I knew I would buy it. So when they cut the price this summer, I got it.

Now I will probably get a PS3 for Dark Knight (Blu Ray) and Little Big Planet (in my mind its like a perfected version of super mario world, since it has a sweet level editor). Even though it will cost $500, it will be worth it becuase I will be able to play all those PS2 games I could live without since they all cost $2-$25 now.

Many people last year I know bought a 360 for Halo 3, and those on the fence are buying it this year for Fable 2/ Gears 2.

Do people really not buy systems becuase of system sellers?

Around the Network

I know I buy Nintendo consoles for Mario and Zelda games so yes, they do exist.

I claim "There are no such things as system sellers" because "System sellers" operate quite a bit differently than fanboys think that they do ...

Most games people claim are "System Sellers" were announced (and hyped) months/years before they're released, and the release of this game is factored into the purchase of a system long before the game is released. For (roughly) 2 years people were buying XBox 360 systems who were expecting to play Grand Theft Auto 4 when it was released, even though they may have bought it with a completely different (and possibly a game that is not a "System Seller").

What this means is that when a system is released there is only a short term boost, which soon dies down, and after that you can start to see sales below the pre-launch sales if the system does not pick-up any games which are anticipated on the same level.

I bought the following

Playstation 3 because MGS4
Gamecube because Resident evil 4
Playstation 1 for REsident Evil 2 (played resident evil 1 on Saturn)
32X for being an idiot

So I think you are right.

I bought the 360 cause I like FPS, enjoy multplayer and wanted to try Halo. 360 fit the bill on all fronts. Found and enjoyed GRAW, R6, crackdown and gears on the way

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network
Hawkeye said:

Even though it will cost $500, it will be worth it becuase I will be able to play all those PS2 games I could live without since they all cost $2-$25 now.

Didn't they take out the ps2 backwards comptability with the newer generations?  I guess you could buy a first generation ps3 for it.  I don't know too much about when they took it out but I am pretty sure they did....

Oh and I buy Nintendo systems because I want to play Smash, Kart, F-Zero and a few other of their lineups. People buy systems because they know certain games will be eventually released. I didn't care to play/buy the Wii till Smash came out. Maybe I should try to get back into Zelda again just never have the time with all these other games...

sethnintendo said:
Hawkeye said:

Even though it will cost $500, it will be worth it becuase I will be able to play all those PS2 games I could live without since they all cost $2-$25 now.

Didn't they take out the ps2 backwards comptability with the newer generations?  I guess you could buy a first generation ps3 for it.  I don't know too much about when they took it out but I am pretty sure they did....

Yes they did thats how they dropped the price they ripped out the emptio engine, and once they did that they lost my sale.  I hav e 50 ps2 games and tow againg PS2 I am not getting a new ps 2 $130.00 and a $400.00 ps3.

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

sethnintendo said:
Hawkeye said:

I though there was a $500 model that had it? If not I just won't but a PS3.

xman said:
sethnintendo said:
Hawkeye said:

Yes they did thats how they dropped the price they ripped out the emptio engine, and once they did that they lost my sale.  I hav e 50 ps2 games and tow againg PS2 I am not getting a new ps 2 $130.00 and a $400.00 ps3.

PS2 is worthless for me. PS3 upscales P2 games into 420P at least so they will be playable on my HDTV. SNES and N64 plays like crap on my HDTV, and Saturn is literally unplayable.