By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Here I go again S-L-O-W

kirby007 said:
jlauro said:

The site will ban you for a minute or two if your computer opens up too many connections. Are you running a web accelerator plug-in on your browser or computer? If so, you may be flagged as a DOS attacker and get a temporary IP ban...  Can also be caused if you hit refresh too many times without waiting for the previos page to finish loading.

it is fine now, what does the web accelerator do? make the browser even faster?

They are evil and open up multiple connections (like 50 or more) to the server at a time, and try to download pages in adavabce.  A normal browser opens up 1-4 connections at a time.  Basically they put an unreasonable and unfair load on a busy server.

Try the following while visiting the site to see how many connections your computer has open to vgchartz (after start, run, cmd) (best to test while it's loading a page):

netstat -n | find "64.251.19.12"

If more then 4 that are in SYN_SENT or ESTABLISHED then you probably have some sort of accelerator.

Around the Network

I doubt (as nordlead said) that it's the connection that's the problem.

Usually, the more you go north in Europe, the better the connection gets (and better bandwidth and lower costs and such), so since kirby is in Holland, he should have a better connection than I have, and I don't seem to have any issues (at any time of the day) connecting to VGC.

vgChartz is using a sh**ty hosting provider.

Idiots use Dreamhost.

Dreamhost would crash and burn with half the load vgchartz sees, much less when it is dugg.

Who do you think is a good hosting provider?

jlauro said:
Dreamhost would crash and burn with half the load vgchartz sees, much less when it is dugg.

Who do you think is a good hosting provider?

Depends on what your budget is really. 

If ioi is making a small mint off this website and can afford some truly quality hosting... I'd probably recommend Rackspace.  Their claim to fanatical support is an accurate one making their service quality top notch.

As it stands, I'm more impressed by Host Gator than Dreamhost though... they default to a jailed shell which can be inconvenient at times though fixed with a quick support call.  The 99.9% uptime guarantee is an important one.

Around the Network

Even host gators $279/month package for a dedicated server would be a downgrade for the amount of bandwidth for what vgchartz currently uses. (Much less the shared servers...) (and their $374/month package is the same amount of bandwidth that they offer for $279/month, but with a better server).

In fact, host gator and dreamhost don't even advertise packages that could handle the load of vgchartz.

Vgchartz regularly uses more than 10mb/sec, and all the bulk sites that say unlimited cap you at that (if you are lucky). Rackspace would be significantly more expensive but they do offer faster connections.

I have found it ok ever since I started using firefox.

Thanks to advice from members on this site I might add.

Happens on certain days for me but am doing pretty good right now.

4 ≈ One

jlauro said:
Even host gators $279/month package for a dedicated server would be a downgrade for the amount of bandwidth for what vgchartz currently uses. (Much less the shared servers...) (and their $374/month package is the same amount of bandwidth that they offer for $279/month, but with a better server).

In fact, host gator and dreamhost don't even advertise packages that could handle the load of vgchartz.

Vgchartz regularly uses more than 10mb/sec, and all the bulk sites that say unlimited cap you at that (if you are lucky). Rackspace would be significantly more expensive but they do offer faster connections.

Interesting, I had wondered about the load on vgC (mostly why I suggested one high end and low end option).

So if that link at the bottom is just an advertisement, then what is hosting vgC then?

It's being hosted on a dedicated server at a co-location facility in Florida. (Don't go by where the dns records are hosted, as it's totally unrelated).

The bottom is just an advertisement. I think vgchartz might have been hosted there in the past (half a year ago or more).