By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - does moneyhatting for timed exclusivity HURT publishers or HELP them?

just a question i was thinking about^

im thinking which option out of the 2 below would make most profit for a publisher/developer i will use tales of vesp as an example.

1. moneyhatting from microsoft for timed exclusivity, then release on ps3 mabey 12 months later.
  2. both simultanious release.

above is just an example, im not saying tales of vesp is coming to ps3, its just an example thats all.

it would be quite clear that ps3 version in this instance wont sell as much as 360 version if released 12months later, simply because the (new game) freshness would have worn off.

and if that was the case wouldnt that have hurt the publisher/developer ie, loosing units sold overall?

and would the moneyhatting involve compensating for them losses?

^

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

Don't know.. you should ask Rockstar... Timed exclusive with GTA on the previous generation on the PS2.. simultanious release now on the 360 & PS3... with what did they make more money with?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Don't know.. you should ask Rockstar... Timed exclusive with GTA on the previous generation on the PS2.. simultanious release now on the 360 & PS3... with what did they make more money with?

I think he meant this gen... with the consoles being so close.

both simultanious release, imo.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
both simultanious release, imo.

yes thats what i was thinking, i highly doubt a moneyhat includes possible looses of revenue from other platforms

it would be to much to pay out and not make that back in return.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

It depends on the game.... if it is a game that sells based on hype, like GTAIV, then it would hurt sales a lot to be timed exclusive, sure it would have increased sales on the first platform, but by the time it released on the other console the hype would be gone and it would lose sales because of it.

Of course that might not mean much to the dev/publisher if the moneyhat is large enough to negate the loss.

I think it's less about maximizing profit and more about minimizing risk. A moneyhat is a guaranteed reduction in the cost of production, which looks a lot better than hoping for solid sales on two platforms.

If publishers didn't think it was a good deal, they wouldn't sign these contracts.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

It's a good deal for publishers, bad for smaller developers.
For a publisher it's basicly just an investment that they would have spent anyways. For developers it's a crutch.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

1 word= Bioshock.

Take my love, take my land..

Moneyhatting= a bird in the hand. Also, a very snazzy hat. For unproven franchises like Bioshock or Infinite Undiscovery, I say TAKE THE MONEY! Plus, perceived exclusivity always garners more attention. I mean look at us. All we need is a title and the impression that it's console exclusive, and we will hype a game to no end!