By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCEA $499 PS3 Boosts Sales 135% at Top 5 Retailers

Bodhesatva said:

Regarding the increase for June:

June was a 5 week month for NPD. As such, shouldn't it have seen a 25 percent increase in sales, and not 21? The answer  is yes -- it sold less per week this month than it did last month. Nice trick though!  

No one asked you to come in here and make any sense of Sony's spin

Around the Network
vizunary said:
Bodhesatva said:

Regarding the increase for June:

June was a 5 week month for NPD. As such, shouldn't it have seen a 25 percent increase in sales, and not 21? The answer is yes -- it sold less per week this month than it did last month. Nice trick though!

No one asked you to come in here and make any sense of Sony's spin

<3

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Dolla Dolla said:

If you're gonna tease, do it the right way

Your animated gifs do not cease to crack me up!

Yeah, I'm pretty appalled with some of the maths here as well ;)

Firstly - June was a 5 week period (so sales of the PS3 actually dropped over the previous month).

Average sales per week comes to about 98k/5 = 19.4k / week.

Now, lets assume the following "sales boosts" per week, for the 4 weeks following the price cut:

Week#1: 135% (x2.35) 

Week#2: 110% (x2.10)

Week#3: 100% (x2.00)

Week#4: 90% (x1.90)

Total sales for the 4 week period in July would now be:

Which puts it just above the 360, and about 50% of the total Wii sales. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

Yeah, I'm pretty appalled with some of the maths here as well ;)

Firstly - June was a 5 week period (so sales of the PS3 actually dropped over the previous month).

Average sales per week comes to about 98k/5 = 19.4k / week.

Now, lets assume the following "sales boosts" per week, for the 4 weeks following the price cut:

Week#1: 135% (x2.35) 

Week#2: 110% (x2.10)

Week#3: 100% (x2.00)

Week#4: 90% (x1.90)

Total sales for the 4 week period in July would now be:

Which puts it just above the 360, and about 50% of the total Wii sales. 

Doesn't work that way, we only know that its risen 135% at the 5 largest retailers, we don't know if there is a rise at the other retail outlets

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
DonWii said:
Perhaps grammar is yours.

Perhaps the MAJORITY of the world does not speak english as their first language.

Shams I was under the impression that the price cut came in the second week of July which is why I added up the first 2 weeks without the boost. I also rounded 98 to 100 close enough Sony is not going to say 136% increase it would only be an estimate so I estimate 20K a week sales. I am also not sure if they meant 135% since the price cut or 135% for the whole month. IF what they mean by month is the whole NPD period which would be ~235K or if it is by the weekly average which would be ~188K if every week was for teh price cu. Or like what you have a 135% increase for 1 week and a decreasing percentage increase for the rest of the month.

I think it is safe to say it will be between 150K-240K for the US next month.

redspear said:
Shams I was under the impression that the price cut came in the second week of July which is why I added up the first 2 weeks without the boost. I also rounded 98 to 100 close enough Sony is not going to say 136% increase it would only be an estimate so I estimate 20K a week sales. I am also not sure if they meant 135% since the price cut or 135% for the whole month. IF what they mean by month is the whole NPD period which would be ~235K or if it is by the weekly average which would be ~188K if every week was for teh price cu. Or like what you have a 135% increase for 1 week and a decreasing percentage increase for the rest of the month.

I think it is safe to say it will be between 150K-240K for the US next month.

You may well be right. Was there a week of tracked July without the price cut?

Regardless - I'll put my figure as a "upper" limit. I was being pretty generous on the falloff rate.

I can't see it selling more than 160k for the month - probably closer to 130k (especially if one tracked week had no price cut).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Avinash_Tyagi said:
So PS3 will actually sell over 100K in July, amazing

Over 100k? It did 45k in one week so unless suddenly demand completely drops off last week and this week then it should easily pass that and pass 150k.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
So PS3 will actually sell over 100K in July, amazing

Over 100k? It did 45k in one week so unless suddenly demand completely drops off last week and this week then it should easily pass that and pass 150k.

Yeah, it's going to break 150k most likely. 100k is a given.

It will be interesting to see if there is any drop off in PS3 sales this week. I had predicted higher PS3 sales last week (60kish) because I believe its sales are tracking like an enthusiast's device: large spikes when new SKUs/prices/games are released. I was wrong, though. Still, I'm going to stick to my guns and say we'll see a hardcore-gamer-style dropoff this week, and guess that the PS3 will sell only 38kish for the week. We'll see! 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">