By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the best RPG platform?

If you want a system, from 1985 to now that has the best/most RPGs, look no further than the PS2 (including PSX games). It absolutely trounces the RPG market.

If you're looking for CURRENT generation systems... I'd actually advise you to wait a little while first. Not enough RPGs out yet.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

Around the Network
WiteoutKing said:
If you want a system, from 1985 to now that has the best/most RPGs, look no further than the PS2 (including PSX games). It absolutely trounces the RPG market.

If you're looking for CURRENT generation systems... I'd actually advise you to wait a little while first. Not enough RPGs out yet.

True that!!

WiteoutKing said:

The PS2/PS1 did have the most RPG's, but the SNES still had the better quality ones (though you could argue I suppose because of FF Anthologies and Chronicles--I'm not counting straight remakes though).  I'm not saying the PS2 weren't quality ones, but it's hard to stand up to FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Secret of Mana.

PS2, hands down. RPG's are all my wife plays, and there was no real need for her to get a XBox or GCN. As for the current generation... well there's a reason why she's waiting on the PS3.

Wait and see.

Ari_Gold said:
Evidence to support PS1/PS2 RPG dominance

Xenosaga 1,2,3
Dark Cloud 2
Dragon Quest VIII ( i would dare say it was the best RPG of the last-gen consoles)
Star Ocean: Till the end of time
Valkyre Profile 2
Rogue Galaxy
Final Fantasy XII, X, X-2
Kingdom Hearts 1,2
shin megami tensei: digital devil saga 1,2
shin megami tensei: nocturne
shin megami tensei: devil summoner
suikoden III
Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss

Also the PS1

Parasite Eve 1, 2
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics, VII, VIII, IX
Suikoden 1, II
Grandia 1, II
Persona 2
Valkyre Profile
Vagrant Story
Chrno Cross
Star Ocean 2
lunar: silver star story
breath of fire III

I agree that the PS2 and PSone dominate quantity by a vast amount, but as far as quality goes I still can't find anything surpassing 4 of my favorite games of all time:  Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FFVI, and FFIV.  None of those 4 games have been surpased by anything since except by perhaps the latter two by Dragon Quest VIII, which I completely agree was the best RPG of the last generation.  It's too bad DQ is so underrated in America.  It's art style is too kiddy for the American PS2 demographic.

RPGs I really loved on the PS2:

KH1 and KH2
Dragon Quest VIII
Dark Cloud 2 (VERY underrated)

I played everything on your list up there except Shin Megami Tensei, I just didn't like everything on your list up there a whole lot heh. 

Around the Network

I think unless people actually lived during the SNES era, and were huge RPG fans, you'd never understand the entire breadth and depth of the SNES RPG catalogue. The reason the PS2 even has an RPG catalogue is because of the games on SNES:

Final Fantasy IV-VI-MQ
Secret of Series (Mana, Evermore)
Enix ARPG Series (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terrangamia)
Breath of Fire I-II
Lufia I-II
Super Mario RPG
RoboTech
Super Robot Wars
Far East of Eden
Fire Emblem
Romanance of the 3 Kingdoms
Chrono Trigger
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Earthbound

Those are the ones off the top of my head that either started on SNES, had multiple series featured on SNES, but nevertheless, it gave a huge bit of RPGs their start, and dominance.

So hands down, if you actually lived/played in that era (like I did), the SNES was THE system to own. There were plenty of WRPGs and Sega RPGs that weren't on the SNES, but the majority of real good ones were. The reason the PS1/2 had so many RPGs was the simple dominance issue, whereas the SNES had to prove it and did.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I strongly disagree with you Ari_Gold

Snes have

Chrono Trigger
Terranigma
Dragon Quest 5
Dragon Quest 3 (remake)
Super mario RPG
Final fantasy 6
Seiken Densetsu 3
Earthbound
Breath of Fire 2
LUFIA 2
Tales of Phantasia

All those, save for BOF2, are all time great RPGs.

Parasite Eve 2 was a Resident evil rip off, not a RPG. Chrono Cross ruined the Chrono legacy. Breath of Fire 3 is not as good as 2 and not even one of the best RPGs ever. Star Ocean till the end of time took a lot of playing time to get interesting. Dark Cloud was a great improvement from the shitty Dark Cloud but not a AAA+ title. FF 8, X-2 and XII sucked (it is a matter of opinion, but sales were not good for the last 2). Legendia is a kind of excellent game with deadly flaws (gameplay, story on the 2nd part of the game, lack of voice acting). Xenosaga is ok, just not a game that will last forever.

I agree that DQ 8 is the best in the series and that the first Kingdom Hearts rocks. Shin Megami Tensei is good, but not all of them and the series started on Snes (like Tales, Star Ocean, Romancing Saga, Mana series. Parasite Eve was a great experience for me and a fresh start for the RPG formula, yet Squaresoft fucked it up.

You forgot to mention Disgaea and Odim Sphere on the PS2, these games are great. There are action RPGs also for the PSX like Castlevania and Musashi.

I think that the Snes wins on AAA+ titles. I did not even included some WRPGs in the list like Shadowrun and Ultima.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

mrstickball said:
I think unless people actually lived during the SNES era, and were huge RPG fans, you'd never understand the entire breadth and depth of the SNES RPG catalogue. The reason the PS2 even has an RPG catalogue is because of the games on SNES:

Final Fantasy IV-VI-MQ
Secret of Series (Mana, Evermore)
Enix ARPG Series (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terrangamia)
Breath of Fire I-II
Lufia I-II
Super Mario RPG
RoboTech
Super Robot Wars
Far East of Eden
Fire Emblem
Romanance of the 3 Kingdoms
Chrono Trigger
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Earthbound

Those are the ones off the top of my head that either started on SNES, had multiple series featured on SNES, but nevertheless, it gave a huge bit of RPGs their start, and dominance.

So hands down, if you actually lived/played in that era (like I did), the SNES was THE system to own. There were plenty of WRPGs and Sega RPGs that weren't on the SNES, but the majority of real good ones were. The reason the PS1/2 had so many RPGs was the simple dominance issue, whereas the SNES had to prove it and did.

I started writing before you posted. Sorry if I kinda of ripped you off.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

misterd said:
PS2, hands down. RPG's are all my wife plays, and there was no real need for her to get a XBox or GCN. As for the current generation... well there's a reason why she's waiting on the PS3.

Wait and see.

You may want to warn her that so far both the Xbox 360 and Wii have far more RPGs announced for them than the PS3.

I will have to say the PS2 is the best. There is no other system with a better selection.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078