By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mid-Generation: loss of impressiveness

Not really.
I only got my PS3 12 months ago and I have to say I am actually pumped up for this holyday releases....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

There was a moment in Gears, execution, the other night where I went 1 vs 4 (teammates met pre-mature ends) and managed to win the match. One sniper head-shot, couple of two-pieces and a surprise shotgun blast complete with the cheers of your squad in the lobby...empowering and everybit a thrill.

I'm sure lots of people can point to moments like that in their game of choice, and as long as I still can, this gen will not fail to impress me.

I'm kinda at this stage for quite some time now. I own a Wii.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

Actually other than gears 1, which blew me away everything since then hasn't really impressed me graphically. Gameplay wise I'm actually getting bored of the big block buster games and I find the simple games much more fun and enjoyable. But graphically even MGS4 failed to impress me.

Hard to say. I think theres a big stagnant point regarding the genres, like the overload of FPS games out there, for example.

That said, Im still amazed with Twillight Princess, its in every aspect the perfect compliment to OOT to me, and that says a lot. On the topic of Nintendo, I think you'll get a better impression when Motion Plus is launched in the spring. Then the controller will truly do what people thought it could do out of the box.

Around the Network

Graphics-wise, gears was the peak for me, other games have looked better since but gears raised the bar a lot from what was currently on the market, and I'm not sure anything will be able to make such a leap again this gen.

But gameplay wise, I'm still being impressed. LBP and Mirrors Edge are helping take games in new directions, and I think (hope) that we'll start seeing the system's power used for things other graphics, like AI, UGC, and new gameplay ideas.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

The first two years are hardly anything to judge consoles by. If we did that then just about every generation would've sucked ass. It always takes time for developers to truly refine the great ideas that come with new technology.

@ HappySqurriel

Yes, most 360 to PS3 ports I usually find boring and often originally overhyped. (Bioshock is an exception)

But IMO with Resistance 2 you could hardly have used a worse example. 8 player co-op, 60 player squad battles and enormous bosses to fight. The game has got me excited. Of course it's an impressive PS3 exclusive and not going to be on the 360, I wouldn't have expected you to use a 360 exclusive as an example.

IMO great Gamepro R2 footage:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/207578/ted-price-talks-resistance-2-new-novel-and-resistance-movie-possibilities/

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Well, just to weeks ago I´ve played Bioshock(demo) and last week i´ve played MS2:PF (demo)and just WOW I mean really WOW. So not at this point yet.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

aavidbacon said:
Well, just to weeks ago I´ve played Bioshock(demo) and last week i´ve played MS2:PF (demo)and just WOW I mean really WOW. So not at this point yet.

Killzone 2 and God of War 3 are coming up next year, next to hugely anticipated franchises like Final Fantasy XIII and Gran Turismo 5, many promising new project like Heavy Rain and The White Knight Story, IMO we are just about to get things really rolling this generation.

I don't think this generation will start to level out until after Grand Theft Auto 5 and Resistance 3 hit the market.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales