By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation controllers are faulty

Throwing the controllers around does not help much. Everything breaks if you abuse it.
I remember breaking a controller I threw it at the wall and it broke, I was an idiot.
If faulty products and within warranty period contact Sony regard the problem.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
hanafuda said:
R2 on my DS3s are mushy.

Ha. They were like that the day they rolled off the assembly line.

Sony definitely could have made other changes to the PS3 controller, even before they were legally obligated to remove dual shock until they retroactively re-installed it a year later.

The overhanging R2/L2 buttons that tend to depress when set down: mold shoulder button hoods in the lower half of the controller. 

Make the trigger buttons concave rather than convex although I think that was probably an instance of choosing form over function.

Smooth trigger buttons match the lines of the controller, but most seem to prefer concave buttons that provide better leverage/grip and feel a bit more trigger-like.

And yes, the trigger buttons are too mushy, even when brand new, moreso when compared with the springy 360 trigger buttons.

No, they're not. My L2 triggers are fine, just like new. My R2s have very weak resistance to the spring, almost like it has slipped or something.

PSN - hanafuda

I haven't really had problems with my PS controller, owning three PS3 ones and two PS2 ones.

hanafuda said:
greenmedic88 said:
hanafuda said:
R2 on my DS3s are mushy.

Ha. They were like that the day they rolled off the assembly line.

Sony definitely could have made other changes to the PS3 controller, even before they were legally obligated to remove dual shock until they retroactively re-installed it a year later.

The overhanging R2/L2 buttons that tend to depress when set down: mold shoulder button hoods in the lower half of the controller. 

Make the trigger buttons concave rather than convex although I think that was probably an instance of choosing form over function.

Smooth trigger buttons match the lines of the controller, but most seem to prefer concave buttons that provide better leverage/grip and feel a bit more trigger-like.

And yes, the trigger buttons are too mushy, even when brand new, moreso when compared with the springy 360 trigger buttons.

No, they're not. My L2 triggers are fine, just like new. My R2s have very weak resistance to the spring, almost like it has slipped or something.

Then you mean mushier.

I just stripped a PS3 controller down to the circuit board.

There's a single, fine gauge spring responsible for the tension in the shoulder trigger buttons. It's very thin, but there is no way it can "slip" based on the way the controller is assembled. A solid steel roll pin goes straight through the loop of the spring (it's a single coil) and the shoulder buttons.

The spring tension could be adjusted by bending the OEM spring beyond 90 degrees. If you really wanted heavier triggers, it wouldn't be too tough to make a single coil spring out of heavier wire, which... I may actually try now that I have a disassembled controller.

(just made a pair of trigger springs out of 17 gauge nickel wound guitar string; spring tension is noticeably greater. could go as high as 20 gauge, but don't have any 20 gauge G strings at the moment. I'd do this to all my controllers if it weren't such a pain to put them back together.)

im different from you ive had altogether 6 playstation contollers and im yet to get a fault.