By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Screenshot Utility

Am I wrong, or wasn't there a screenshot utility released in one of the recent PS3 updates?  It needs the game to support it right?

Around the Network

Yes the game most support it.

Developers have to Implement it, it's on a game to game basis

Don't take this as flaming, because I'm just curious, but why do they need a screenshot utility if individual games must support it? Halo 3, Gears 2, and Brawl all have screenshot functions, and their respective consoles do not need special software to support it.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I don't think any games support it presently.

Around the Network

The PS3 doesn't need it for its games to be able to do it; MGS4 can capture screenshots already.

I guess it just makes it easier for devs to implement.

thekitchensink said:
Don't take this as flaming, because I'm just curious, but why do they need a screenshot utility if individual games must support it? Halo 3, Gears 2, and Brawl all have screenshot functions, and their respective consoles do not need special software to support it.

because it's just like the trophy's..when the games were made, it didn't exist, so it doesn't work.  Games from now on will likely all include the feature.

cool48 said:

wipeout HD

Check out my game about moles ^

axumblade said:
Staude said:
cool48 said:

wipeout HD

It does? That's awesome.

Yup.. it even has editing tools.. you can change a bunch of things.. and add motion blur and stuff..

Check out my game about moles ^

thekitchensink said:

It is now a standard function in the api.  Halo, Gears, Brawl, Wipeout, MGS4 all had to develop their own screenshot functionality.  This was a similar issue with custom soundtracks, some games supported them before the 2.40 firmware.  I really enjoy this feature.  I hope a lot of future games enable it.  It's not a system selling feature, but it is definately a nice to have feature.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.