By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SE propose Japanese gaming alliance

Square Enix President Proposes "Japan Gaming Alliance"

Alliance would allow Japanese companies to compete with western developers, Wada says 
It's no secret that, outside of a select few publishers, Japanese game development has lagged a bit behind the west. Now Square Enix president Yoichi Wada thinks he might have the answer. 

Kotaku is reporting that Wada told Nikkei Business in an article about the Japanese gaming "crisis" that Japanese developers should form "an alliance" to help close the gap with western developers. Wada cited Tecmo and Koei as a prime example, suggesting that "alliance" actually means "merger." 

But Wada went on to stress the need to maintain the individuality of Japanese developers. 

"It's not forcing everything into a single corporate brand," Wada said. "The ideal is a holding company under which several companies and brands can hang." 

These words echo Square Enix's merger proposal to Tecmo, in which they also promised to let the company maintain a level of autonomy. Tecmo went elsewhere, but that doesn't mean that Square Enix isn't still looking to make a deal. Don't be surprised if even more Square Enix merger rumors start to pop up in 2009.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170822

Around the Network

I propose that in order for this alliance to be real, they should stop making games for AMERICAN Consoles, cause:
Japanese alliance + American Console = PARADOX !!!!

:),, Kidding by the way

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3), PES 2010 (PS3), Killzone 2 (PS3)

Games to Finish: Silent hill Homecoming (PS3), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), Oblivion (PS3)

Square-Enix=Nick Fury

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

So Bald Space Marines in jRPGs, right?

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Bad idea.
If SE heads up the Alliance, it will be several years(decades?) before any decent Japanese games get released.

(j/k at the expense of FFXIII taking so long)

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

Sounds desperate to me.

Not good in my opinion

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

So, you don't just want to screw up your games with mergers, but other games as well?

The alliance of the whores?

No.

FF7 remake..... All of your money problems will go away.

Or they should all just take a look at Capcom

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.