By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What Do You Like Most About Global Warming?

Maybe canada won't be so cold.

We can only wish.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

That it shows how self involved people are thinking they're the cause of everything when the largest manmade cause of CO2 is infact...

Cows farting.

Do cows really fart that much more then every other wild animal on the planet?

Really now?

Even if they did... fart more then the millions of animals all over the place... that would mean the most effective way to combat global warming would be to cut down on meat.  Not all this other stuff we're trying to do.

http://www.themidnightsun.org/?p=2484

Actually cows rarely fart. They burp.

/nitpick

Did I see a (reliable) graph of solar activity being closely followed by the Earth's temperature, or am I imagining?

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz

I like the fact that it has become the new buzzword to chuck around, and saying we are going to fight global warming is now seen as something that you should be aiming to do...

Anyway, most of the time, in the long history of the earth, there have been no polar ice caps I believe, so to me it does make that much sense that we are causing it.

There are also several arguements against the whole CO2 thing, such as if it were true, the upper layers of the atmosphere would be heating up quicker than the surface and I don't believe that is true

That so many people are willing to write off global warming quickly even though there have been many similar instances in the past where people denied an environmental problem and it turned out to be as bad or worse as the environmentalists predicted.

I am not claiming that we should believe in man-made global warming without a scientific basis, I am just saying that people who act like it is a hoax ignore many of the other environmental "hoaxes" that turned out to be true:

Great examples:
Holes in the ozone layer
DDT
Putting lead in gasoline
Etc.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
appolose said:
Did I see a (reliable) graph of solar activity being closely followed by the Earth's temperature, or am I imagining?

Imagining. Solar activity is one of the things that have been ruled out as a major cause.

Rath said:
appolose said:

Imagining. Solar activity is one of the things that have been ruled out as a major cause.

The guy who runs the weather channel actually has a graph that shows it closely follows it.

http://globaleumweltpolitik.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/tgwws-400y-solar-and-temp.jpg

The phrase "erring on the side of caution" seems to be falling out of fashion.

Most of the things which could reduce global warming also have other beneficial side effects, such as reducing dependency on fossil fuels, reducing car usage, phasing out coal power plants (which emit more radiation than nuclear ones), etc.

Why don't developed countries do these things and potentially get a double bonus out of them?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

The phrase "erring on the side of caution" seems to be falling out of fashion.

Most of the things which could reduce global warming also have other beneficial side effects, such as reducing dependency on fossil fuels, reducing car usage, phasing out coal power plants (which emit more radiation than nuclear ones), etc.

Why don't developed countries do these things and potentially get a double bonus out of them?

Is it erring on the side of caution?

What if we focus on... and do all this to stop human consumption... then we find out we aren't causing global warming?

That it's natural... and it's going to kill us.  Well or at least be really annoying and kill a lot of people.

Wouldn't "erring on the side of caution" be investing in climate control that is reactive.

Therefore man made or natural... we can save our asses.  Furthmore future crisis in global warming where conservation couldn't work could be avoided.

Munkeh111 said:
I like the fact that it has become the new buzzword to chuck around, and saying we are going to fight global warming is now seen as something that you should be aiming to do...

Anyway, most of the time, in the long history of the earth, there have been no polar ice caps I believe, so to me it does make that much sense that we are causing it.

There are also several arguements against the whole CO2 thing, such as if it were true, the upper layers of the atmosphere would be heating up quicker than the surface and I don't believe that is true

Actually it is much worse than that ...

On a geological time scale ice-ages are actually the "normal" state for the Earth, and the warm temperatures that humans require for their existence are only available for short periods for a large portion of the Earth. Most of the warm periods (similar to the one we live in) only exist for about 10,000 years and the current one has lasted for more than 10,000 years. The end of the interglacial periods typically takes a couple of centuries, but in the past there has been periods where the temperature has dropped more than 5 degrees in as little as 20 years.

To put this into perspective, if you assume that the earth is a homeostatic-system and that all positive and negative feedbacks from the increase in CO2 cancel eachother out every time you double atmospheric CO2 you should see a 1 degree increase in temperature. In order to match the potential temperature change of the end of an interglacial-period we would have to increase CO2 production by 32 times in 20 years.