By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware's new MMO-- Star Wars: The Old Republic

OVer at joystiq they are really happy with the visual design, but to me it looks crap. "Concept art design come to life" my arse. The thing is that the concept art is bad, reminds me of the ugly cartoon SW. Also I have a bad feeling that they won´t include a Sith/Human breed race since they say it will be based on the films, yet KOTOR 1&2 were quite different.

Around the Network
Ail said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Ail said:

Possible successfull MMO, yeah

Contender to Wow ? Doubtfull, noone is really playing in the same league as Blizzard these days. Heck expect Wow suscribers to rise to 13 millions or so in the next 6 months....

That's what people said about Everquest and the like before WoW.

Still, a better failing of this new MMO is that Star Wars is too niche to beat WoW.

Wow is nothing like Everquest ( I played both extensively).

Blizzard spends more on Wow yearly than Sony used to on EQ in 4 years and you see it in the game...

Niche isn't the issue, you could argue Star Wars has more mainstream appeal than Wow...( Wow is still only known within the gamer community).

But heck, how many MMOs aside from Wow do commercial on TV ? :P

Heck I can buy Wow T-shirts at my local mall...

I'm not saying the games are identical, I'm saying they occupy the same space in the industry (MMO) and one usurped the (albeit fading) popularity of the other.

WoW is also not "still only known within the gamer community."  I don't know if you're around many people but a LOT of people recognize WoW some who have played it, some who have experimented, but most who at least know one person in the other two categories.  It is highly recognizeable by anyone under the age of 25 as sad as that is...

Ail said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Ail said:

Possible successfull MMO, yeah

Contender to Wow ? Doubtfull, noone is really playing in the same league as Blizzard these days. Heck expect Wow suscribers to rise to 13 millions or so in the next 6 months....

That's what people said about Everquest and the like before WoW.

Still, a better failing of this new MMO is that Star Wars is too niche to beat WoW.

Wow is nothing like Everquest ( I played both extensively).

Blizzard spends more on Wow yearly than Sony used to on EQ in 4 years and you see it in the game...

Niche isn't the issue, you could argue Star Wars has more mainstream appeal than Wow...( Wow is still only known within the gamer community).

But heck, how many MMOs aside from Wow do commercial on TV ? :P

Heck I can buy Wow T-shirts at my local mall...

For anyone to be a successfull Wow contender two things have to happen:

- The new game has to introduce new features  that are considered a major advantage compared to Wow ( the same way Wow was seen a tonn more fun and casual friendly than EQ when it came out).

- Blizzard has to do a major misstep with Wow and alienate a lot of the player base ( and it doesn't look like WOTLK will do that based on the hype and excitement around it).

Maple Story does!

How they do I have no clue... since it's one of those "free" MMOs.... but it does.

Add another I don't want an MMO KOTOR

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Man this game could be amazing. Star Wars is simply perfect to be an MMO, with a vast universe with thousands of planets.

I hope they let you have your own ship and have space dogfights. So amazing.

Around the Network
memory2zack said:
OVer at joystiq they are really happy with the visual design, but to me it looks crap. "Concept art design come to life" my arse. The thing is that the concept art is bad, reminds me of the ugly cartoon SW. Also I have a bad feeling that they won´t include a Sith/Human breed race since they say it will be based on the films, yet KOTOR 1&2 were quite different.

To their defense, that's an old pre-alpha build, or at least it better be.

Every character is holding their gun the exact same way and every jedi (except the force choke one) is crossing sabers with a mirrored sith doing the exact same thing, and there are only three environments (of course how many environments does Star Wars have?).

A buddy that interviewed there a year ago mentioned that it really doesn't look like anything from those shots have changed so, again, hopefully it's just old.

Man, BioWare has Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2 and now Star Wars: The Old Republic to do in 2009/2010. How are they going to manage that?

shio said:
Man this game could be amazing. Star Wars is simply perfect to be an MMO, with a vast universe with thousands of planets.

I hope they let you have your own ship and have space dogfights. So amazing.

Didn't Star Wars Galaxies try all that and fail miserbly?  I haven't played it but I've only heard bad things about it, even from the people that worked on it.

why an MMO WHY!!!

I want KOTR 3 - The Revenge Of The Revan!!!!!

@twesterm

that was SOE's fault...they ruined everything

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

if it comes to ps3, then i play it. also i cant wait for the ps3 version of dragon age origins coming out fall of 2009. bioware is becoming the true standard of rpg's anymore.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1