By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst:360 price cut hasn't affected PlayStation 3 hardware sales

It wasn't supposed to.

It was supposed to push more consoles for Microsoft, and make it the cheapest console.

It accomplished both of those things.

Around the Network

As I said at another topic, the xbox's price cut affected Ps3's hardware sales!The graphic on the top is the proof... but the question is for how long? Xbox sales is slowing down again!Only Gears of wars 2 will make them grow for small period. When Ps3 reach 300euros, xbox360 will get in trouble.

DMeisterJ said:
It wasn't supposed to.

It was supposed to push more consoles for Microsoft, and make it the cheapest console.

It accomplished both of those things.

1) Pretty much, yep. This is more about increasing the size of the userbase and slow down the erosion of market share (with Wii sales, I'm not sure MS can actually increase market share at this point). As always, the larger user base makes the console more attractive to developers, which in turn makes it more attractive to gamers.

2) As I understand it, console sales typically take an uptick in September and October, albiet not so big as in November and December. Looking at the graph, both the Wii and 360 have roughly equal upticks, while the PS3 has held flat. This could be coincidence, or maybe as the most expensive console the PS3 is the first to feel the effects of the economic downturn. OTOH, it may be that the "extra" sales it would normally get went to the 360.  

Soriku said:
Then why did PS3 sales drop during the price cut then? Just randomly? I don't think so.

well exactly.....they didn't ye know

look at the graph....the line is FLAT!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Soriku said:
Then why did PS3 sales drop during the price cut then? Just randomly? I don't think so.

Soriky.  Soriky, Soriky, Soriky.

PS3 sales didn't drop, they rose by .1 percent apparently.

Hence the reason for the thread.

Read the link next time?

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Soriku said:

Soriky. Soriky, Soriky, Soriky.

Read the link next time?

Do you mean The Sony PlayStation 3, Interactive multi-media 4-D true next generation Computer Entertainment and Gaming System?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Soriku said:

Soriky. Soriky, Soriky, Soriky.

Read the link next time?

Do you mean The Sony PlayStation 3, Interactive multi-media 4-D true next generation Computer Entertainment and Gaming System?

Damn.

Knew I forgot something.

Soriku said:
Is this WW or NA btw?

I still don't understand why it dropped during the 360 price cut. It dropped to 40k from the 60k I think (NA).

NDP doesn't agree with our data,,,and this article is absed on NDP,,,,NDP shows that PS3 has rose 0.3% or something like that

The price cut was put into place for the Holiday season, no some chest thumping. When shoppers start BUYING HOLIDAY PRESENTS, the effects of the price cut will come fully into effect...kinda like what happened lsat year...Comes back in a month and let's see how things stand compared Y-O-Y.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Oh, so it didn't affect sales, eh? I guess PS3 sales were just naturally bad! =P

The BuShA owns all!