By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are companies being short-sited about the Wii?

Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Jo21 said:
naiyo said:

Godot said:
And Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata flopped... Well, Microsoft probably paid most the game so maybe Nintendo should start giving checks.

Bingo!  This is just a weird console war. Games that are selling shouldn't sell and games that should come over are not.  If this was PS2 days, all of those games would have came over.

sad but true,wii  not matter how it outsell the consoles it nots getting big titles.

they are staying on HD ps3 <---> 360, and are selling millions.

look at sport games, fighters and FPS.

You know that some sport games in the Wii sell the same or even more than in the PS3 right?

Wii sports will not count. No 1st party games will.

The only one I noticed was PGA tour 08.

What about Madden 07?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=madden+NFL+07&console=®ion=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

and Madden 08

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=madden+NFL+08&console=®ion=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

Madden 07

PS3:0.48 million

Wii: 0.45 million

Madden 08

PS3: 0.88 million

Wii: 0.82million

Madden 09

PS3:0.76 million

Wii:0.32 million

Same or more? Not so much.

lol, so.. .03 and .06 are enough to ensure that people won't say that some Wii sport titles sell at least the same of some PS3 sport titles?

Take a look at "MADDEN 09."I didn't put that in for no reason. Besides, remember you said, "Wii sell the same or even more than in the PS3 right?" Sorry, but thats not what you call," same or even more."

Firstly, trying to talk about Madden 09 is unfair and like mike said is a bit-premature because Wii games are mostly about legs, the right thing to judge it is waiting until Madden 10 is out.

Secondly, no, i did not say "Wii sell the same or even more than in the PS3 right?" if you read my post (i'm doubting it)  you should've noticed that i said "You know that some sport games in the Wii sell the same or even more than in the PS3 right?"

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Around the Network
Falcon095 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Jo21 said:
naiyo said:

Godot said:
And Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata flopped... Well, Microsoft probably paid most the game so maybe Nintendo should start giving checks.

Bingo!  This is just a weird console war. Games that are selling shouldn't sell and games that should come over are not.  If this was PS2 days, all of those games would have came over.

sad but true,wii  not matter how it outsell the consoles it nots getting big titles.

You know that some sport games in the Wii sell the same or even more than in the PS3 right?

What about Madden 07?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=madden+NFL+07&console=®ion=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

and Madden 08

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=madden+NFL+08&console=®ion=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

Madden 07

Madden 08

Madden 09

lol, so.. .03 and .06 are enough to ensure that people won't say that some Wii sport titles sell at least the same of some PS3 sport titles?

Take a look at "MADDEN 09."I didn't put that in for no reason. Besides, remember you said, "Wii sell the same or even more than in the PS3 right?" Sorry, but thats not what you call," same or even more."

Firstly, trying to talk about Madden 09 is unfair and like mike said is a bit-premature because Wii games are mostly about legs, the right thing to judge it is waiting until Madden 10 is out.

Secondly, no, i did not say "Wii sell the same or even more than in the PS3 right?" if you read my post (i'm doubting it)  you should've noticed that i said "You know that some sport games in the Wii sell the same or even more than in the PS3 right?"

Mario & Sonic will sell more than all the sports games on PS3 put together.  Of course it has the Italian Plumber but still a sports game.  Big Beach Sports will sell more than any Madden game on PS3.  Then there is Deca Sports.  And Tiger Woods will always sell more on Wii than PS3.  So third party sports games can sell on the Wii. They just need to be capable of selling to the wider market.  The thing with games like FIFA, NBA whatever, Madden is that these games are released every year and are bought by the same people every year.  They have been buying these games for years and are unwilling to change control method and prefer shiny graphics to new gameplay. 

I don't think 3rd parties are being short sighted.  I think they lack creativity.  Wii forces creativity (with the controller, etc) and so they prefer to just release on PS360 since they only need amazing graphics to sell.  All they can do on the Wii is follow the leader.  So Nintendo releases party games that sell and they all want to release party games. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Attachment ratio is almost as important as market share. Currently the Wii attachment ratio is poor and the 3rd party attachment ration is atrocious, in fact the biggest 3rd party Wii hit has MARIO in it.

So as a developer I could either make an HD game for the 360/PS3/PC where I know even it if flops a couple hundred thousand people will pick up my game or I can make it exclusively for the Wii where it will be ignored by the majority of the user base who clearly based on their purchasing habits like first party games.

well thing i have noticed is most games people find that are hardcore have been already made on 360 beause of early release of system.

So then they have the engine already made and everything. So they just EA out their games, like for example Rainbow six las vegas, followed super close by vegas 2. And so on for manay other games.

You have the Wii which is too weak to run the game, yet overpowered for their PS2 engines. So they have to make a new engine and many don't want to risk the money to make a new one, cause of the percieved powerhouse nintendo publisher.

And no wonder nintendo dominates their own system, they have no coompetition. All of the good games from 3rd parties are in clique genres so they don't have huge sales and thsu again dev's think oh that great game didn't sell huge

Falcon095 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Jo21 said:
naiyo said:

Godot said:

they are staying on HD ps3 360, and are selling millions.

What about Madden 07?

and Madden 08

Madden 07

Madden 08

Madden 09

Nothing is unfair about Madden 09. Secondly, Did you know you used those two games as examples? LOL...

Around the Network
flagship said:
Attachment ratio is almost as important as market share. Currently the Wii attachment ratio is poor and the 3rd party attachment ration is atrocious, in fact the biggest 3rd party Wii hit has MARIO in it.

So as a developer I could either make an HD game for the 360/PS3/PC where I know even it if flops a couple hundred thousand people will pick up my game or I can make it exclusively for the Wii where it will be ignored by the majority of the user base who clearly based on their purchasing habits like first party games.

That argument never gets old, even though it's been laid out the numerous reasons and the false stereo type.

First, try making a good game. Don't expect people to buy them when you produce shovelwares.

flagship said:

That is BS, if attachment ratio was a important factor then the PS2 wouldn't had the support it had, what does matter is the sales, it doesn't matter if a game has an attach ratio of 1% if it sells 1m.

I don't know why you prefer that but as a developer i could make a Wii game where i know that even if it flops i'd know that i didn't spend much money on it or i can make a game for the 360/PS3/PC  where if it flops i would lost money because of its development cost.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Falcon095 said:
Jo21 said:
naiyo said:

Godot said:

What about Madden 07?

and Madden 08

Madden 07

Madden 08

Madden 09

Nothing is unfair about Madden 09. Secondly, Did you know you used those two games as examples? LOL...

Of course that it's unfair, are we going to judge a game sales that has been out for only 2 months? Those 2 were only that: examples there are more games (like PGA) but i just said those 2.

I think it's just the opposite. I think they are taking the distant view.

The wii is a flash in the pan, but it's one that will last for 5 or 6 years. A relative flash in the pan, it's only a single generation and it will end. Major strides are being made in graphics technology, AI, complex physics, new kinds of motion capture, online networking, ect ect. Methods of programming and how games are made are moving forward. Those strides are not being made on Wii. To NOT learn these new skills, techniques and programming methods is suicide when the next generation comes. What happens in 8 years when all the new consoles are out and none of your staff knows jack about how to make games on them because they spent the last six or seven years building games off an upgraded gamecube architecture with virtually no network support? They end up waaay behind the technology curve.

So the solution? Put your A teams, the best you've got, working on learning these new techniques, methods, keeping up with the industry as it develops. Put your B teams making wii games that make money on whatever demographic, you don't really care. Then when the next gen comes out Team A will still know what's going on and team B can be integrated and trained that much easier.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

noname2200 said:
mike_intellivision said:

Do developers see this, think of who is buying the Wii, and take a "Ubisoft" approach -- "Let's make games for children, teen girls, and casuals and make lots of money. We'll put our harder-edged stuff on the HD consoles. If Wii owners want it, they will buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 -- and many already have them anyway."

My guess for this part is that no traditional third-party game on the Wii has gone multi-platinum yet (although quite a few have done pretty darn well for themselves so far...). This boils down to one simple truth; most publishers are sheep. They don't have any original ideas and they're extremely hesitant to take big risks. When some bold spirit goes off and finds big money by taking a risk, the other publishers fall all over themselves in playing Follow The Leader. But they'll be damned if they'll be the company that dares to lose sight of the shore first.

To put this in a less rambling way, third-parties see that a few traditional games do extremely well on the HD consoles, and that the only traditional titles that perform on the same level on the Wii are Nintendo games (which never count, for some reason I still don't comprehend). This has hitherto led to a vicious cycle in which they refuse to put their best teams on the system, which means the games aren't as high-quality as they are on other systems, which means they don't sell as well, which means...well, you get the point.

And for some reason, they ignore the third-party games that do sell quite well. That, I can't explain.

I will say this, though: it seems like quite a few Japanese companies are breaking out of this mold. Sega's the biggest of these, but Japan as a whole is daring to tread the path blazed by the Little White Box That Could. For their sakes, I actually hope they take the time to grow the userbase with Bridge Games and the like before going all-in with the fully-traditional stuff, but I wish them the best of luck either way.

mike_intellivision said:

Why else would Namco-Bandai be hesitant to bring Fragile to North America.

Just a quick note: they're probably hesitating because they're unsure about the sales potential, and they're right to worry. It's a Japanese Action-RPG. I can't think of too many not made by Squeenix that have done fantastically in the West, and there's no reason to think the Wii will prove to be an exception to that rule. Add in the fact that Namco's own Vesperia has had only a lukewarm reception (despite being a pretty good game) and Namco's probably thinking twice about its Western strategy.

does JP really have a choice? all other home consoles already have their obituaries written in the Japanese papers.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler