By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Head of Xbox: Nintendo copied us

http://www.europe-nintendo.com/forums/news-centre/457-head-of-xbox-nintendo-copied-us.html#post3540

"Ever since E3 2008 when Don Mattrick first unveiled Microsoft's new avatar system, they have fell under criticism for copying Nintendo's 'Mii's'. However Don Mattrick has come out in an interview with OXM UK and has gone on record to say that he invented the whole avatar concept in the first place. He claims that the game '4D boxing', made by his company, on Amiga, DOS, Atari ST and Macintosh, was the first game to feature avatars. After doing some research, it turns out that 4D Boxing was the first game ever to use 'avatar like' characters. Whether this game really did start the ball-rolling or whether it's just a convenient is down to your own interpretation."

Around the Network

Must be a really slow weekend when this becomes the news.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Avatar concept itself is not what people are saying MS copied, but the idea of having avatars on your console that are "you" to play as in game characters and such is the idea that MS copied.

Obviously Nintendo didn't create the avatar idea itself.

o dear

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

This is sad! >_

Around the Network

Regardless, Nintendo pushed it first and released it. It doesnt really matter to me. People were saying that Sony's Home is too similar to Sims.....who cares! It offers a unique experience to its user base and is a possitive for each console network. If it works.....use it!

Lol, MS blame others for copying. The irony of it all...

Am I the only one who thinks the concepts of avatars is so universal that it is lame to accuse someone of copying them? I feel the same sentiments in regards to Sony and the trophy system. Yes, Microsoft had achievement points before Sony, but offering achievement points is so universal that I do not consider it copying.

I totally believe this. Just like FF13 ps3 exclusive.....

4 ≈ One

OK.......that totally makes no sense.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."