By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN Reviews Wii Music... Ouch.

mike_intellivision said:
--OkeyDokey-- said

Matt's played the game. None of you have. Yet you all think you know better than him.

But so have the reviewers for 1Up and Gamespy as well as a writer for the MTV Multiplayer blog ... and they all seen things differently than Matt.

I guess two reasons that Matt is not being treated well herein are his awful video post from the game (which seems to have been designed to show how bad it could sound) and his recent carping about the game, even before he had played it (dating back to the infamous E3 show where they did not announce Kid Icarus).

But this game does challenge reviewers. From Gamespy:

Wii Music is an odd duck. It is far from a traditional videogame, and more akin to a tech demo or social audio experiment. The fact that it is so very basic means it's completely accessible to anyone, but at the same time there's not much here to interest regular and core gamers.  http://wii.gamespy.com/wii/wii-music/921407p1.html

Because of this connudum, it received 3.5 stars (out of 5), despite it saying it basically did just about everything well. So it was not quality (as IGN's Matt claims) that is the problem in this title.

Mike from Morgantown

well? graphics, sound, gameplay?

lasting appeal well? it got online? how long can you waggle a wii mote til you get sick of it?

Around the Network
Kenology said:
Guitar Hero and Rock Band are humongous, sensationalized QTE's and they're praised to no end.

Wii Music doesn't confine itself to said shackles and it's trashed by IGN.

lolz!

Ouch. That's one of the most brutal truths I've ever seen posted on these boards.

Not to say that those games aren't tons of fun, anyway.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Interesting following the comments on IGN about the score.

Some are ready to burn Matt in effigy. Some are ready to celebrate with him. It seems as if those who want this game to fail are happy. And those who like the direction gaming has taken are not.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

No big surprises regarding low review scores of Wii Music.

Jo21 said:
mike_intellivision said:
--OkeyDokey-- said

Matt's played the game. None of you have. Yet you all think you know better than him.

But so have the reviewers for 1Up and Gamespy as well as a writer for the MTV Multiplayer blog ... and they all seen things differently than Matt.

I guess two reasons that Matt is not being treated well herein are his awful video post from the game (which seems to have been designed to show how bad it could sound) and his recent carping about the game, even before he had played it (dating back to the infamous E3 show where they did not announce Kid Icarus).

Wii Music is an odd duck. It is far from a traditional videogame, and more akin to a tech demo or social audio experiment. The fact that it is so very basic means it's completely accessible to anyone, but at the same time there's not much here to interest regular and core gamers.  http://wii.gamespy.com/wii/wii-music/921407p1.html

Because of this connudum, it received 3.5 stars (out of 5), despite it saying it basically did just about everything well. So it was not quality (as IGN's Matt claims) that is the problem in this title.

Mike from Morgantown

lasting appeal well? it got online? how long can you waggle a wii mote til you get sick of it?

According to your probable opinion of all wii games, so far it has been waggled for two years, and it seems most people are still enjoying it

I honestly don't see how you guys are taking Matts words as gospel, the week after E3 he said straight out that he was going to destroy this game in the review.. what makes you think he'd willingly eat crow when he doesn't have to.. waggling the remote produces what is seen in the IGN videos.. playing the game well produces what is seen in the JC videos, that is all

Around the Network
Jo21 said:
mike_intellivision said:
--OkeyDokey-- said

Mike from Morgantown

lasting appeal well? it got online? how long can you press a button on your controller til you get sick of it?

:)  I think I never going to be sick of it considering I am doing it for already +15 years.

So many posts in this thread just make it hard not to lose faith in humanity. That one game could bring so much animosity to so much people. Even further how it can bring so much hypocrisy to others. It's insane. Even worse is when this infiltrates our mainstream media... what a surprise.

First people just coming to make fun of the Wii in here need to see the sunlight a little more often. Actually sunlight concentrated for 20 mins a day is good for you considering it'll give you all the Vitamin D you need for that day. Use 20 mins of your time doing that instead of giving us your worthless thoughts for this thread.

Secondly its funny all the people in here who used to say how much wii Music sucked and only til recently ahve they turned over and get angry about this review score. I mean this hypocrisy is amazing. I'd like to point out I was one of the only people after E3 2008 to say that although i wasn't fully in with the game that I thought it was an interesting concept and needed to see more. How many other people can make that claim.

So we are left with the hypocrites and the people using this as a way to get a useless opinion in. And on occasion we have those that may have some merit with their thoughts and it is not apart of an agenda but this is what is coherently wrong with this thread. How do we solve it? Well first maybe a few of you should unbiasedly check out a few videos of Wii Music. Formulate a justifiable opinion and then comment on whether you agree with this review or not. However don't use it as a way to bash Matt for his opinion or a way to bash Wii such as I saw from a few people... namely strategyking. Kudos.

Jo21 said:
mike_intellivision said:
--OkeyDokey-- said

Mike from Morgantown

How long can you press analog sticks until you get sick of it? Its just another control mechanism.

Drastically varying reviews means Nintendo accomplished their mission. Controversy generates press, press generates interest.

That Matt Cassamassmaassawhater guy should win some D-bag points for his "unbiased review". That video was beyond horrible,cringeworthy, and lame, but he presented it like all you could do was play zelda like that. then he waggled all over the place and presto! BS. They need to reign that guy in a tad, since he has been going on G4 tv i think that he thinks he is pretty awesome or something.

BTW: I was in the "this game looks like garbage" camp until I saw some actual people "play" the game, and not swing the wiimote around like an asshat