By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PAL Charts, Week 42: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 takes the crown

@mrstickbal

do you think GTA 4's backlash has helped SR 2?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

no surprises here! saints row 2 is going to sell shit on ps3 because its known as an xbox game

eliasg said:
DOATS1 said:
what the hell? 360 got exclusive advertising for pes 2009. plus with the install base at double the ps3's in the uk, this comes at a huge surprise. ironically, fifa 09 got exclusive advertising on ps3 but sold better on 360.

PES is a brand name connected with the whole history of Playstation, thats why...

that doesn't make sense. so was gta, and dmc, fifa, but they all sold better on the 360 in the uk.

mrstickball said:
Amazing there are 3 X360 and 3 PS3 games in the Top-10.

Also, it's a very good opening for Saints Row 2....Regardless of what anyone is arguing - especially the X360 version (why didn't PS3 open well considering GTAIV?).

According to VGC, Saints Row 1 only managed 650,000 units worldwide in PAL territories. SR2 on the X360 alone is at 10% of that LTD total in just 1 territory - which is great. That'd point to around 150,000 first week in PAL for the X360 version, and maybe 60,000-70,000 for the PS3 version.

So it's likely that SR2 will eclipse SR1 numbers in short order - Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version rivaled SR1 numbers in PAL territories.

were you seriously expecting the ps3 version to sell close to the 360 version? considering that most ps3 owners would have never played the first vesion, they have no reason to buy this one, especially when they have gta4 and probably like it.

darthdevidem01 said:
@mrstickbal

What backlash are you referring to?

The only thing I could think of is that since GTAIV went more "sim" as opposed to previous iterations being more far-fetched, it may have helped Saints Row 2, since their marketing campaign was based primarily about being a 'fun' copy of GTA.

And for the record, Saints Row 2 is better in some ways than GTAIV. I have certainly enjoyed my time with Saints Row 2.

At any rate, I think Saints Row 2 will be one of the (since it seems to be shaping up that way) suprise hits of late 2008 - Everyone is focusing on the "big" games, all the while Saints Row 2 has a great chance at selling 4 million copies combined on both systems, and become yet another Playstation 3 million seller....And has a very outside (but plausible due to PS3 sales in mainland Europe) shot at 2m.

And GTAIV08 - I really doubt that logic. Although we're going to see the X360 version sell VERY well in comparison to the PS3 version, the fact remains that we've seen time and time again that very few games are biased toward one platform - Good games sell well...GTAIV, DMC4, and other PS2-centric titles all did very well on the X360, which should speak volumes about how the inverse can be true for Xbox-gone-Playstation games.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
DOATS1 said:
eliasg said:
DOATS1 said:
what the hell? 360 got exclusive advertising for pes 2009. plus with the install base at double the ps3's in the uk, this comes at a huge surprise. ironically, fifa 09 got exclusive advertising on ps3 but sold better on 360.

PES is a brand name connected with the whole history of Playstation, thats why...

that doesn't make sense. so was gta, and dmc, fifa, but they all sold better on the 360 in the uk.

i really cant explain it but PES is something different from the games you posted...

but generally speaking, PS is known in Europe as the football machine, thats why FIFA ps3 and FIFA 360 (in the UK) were so close in the opening week despite the 1 million difference in the install base...

For PES 2009, everyone should wait for the PS2 version.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

DOATS1 said:
mrstickball said:
Amazing there are 3 X360 and 3 PS3 games in the Top-10.

Also, it's a very good opening for Saints Row 2....Regardless of what anyone is arguing - especially the X360 version (why didn't PS3 open well considering GTAIV?).

According to VGC, Saints Row 1 only managed 650,000 units worldwide in PAL territories. SR2 on the X360 alone is at 10% of that LTD total in just 1 territory - which is great. That'd point to around 150,000 first week in PAL for the X360 version, and maybe 60,000-70,000 for the PS3 version.

So it's likely that SR2 will eclipse SR1 numbers in short order - Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version rivaled SR1 numbers in PAL territories.

were you seriously expecting the ps3 version to sell close to the 360 version? considering that most ps3 owners would have never played the first vesion, they have no reason to buy this one, especially when they have gta4 and probably like it.

What about X360 owners that never played Grand Theft Auto, Devil May Cry, or other Playstation 2 top-tier titles?

It's no excuse for 'big' games to sell poorly, even on other consoles. Saints Row will hit 2 million copies on the X360 before everything is said and done. It would seem like, to me, that a game that sells that well should have a decent shot at doing good on a non-native platform.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@mrstickbal

What backlash are you referring to?

The only thing I could think of is that since GTAIV went more "sim" as opposed to previous iterations being more far-fetched, it may have helped Saints Row 2, since their marketing campaign was based primarily about being a 'fun' copy of GTA.

And for the record, Saints Row 2 is better in some ways than GTAIV. I have certainly enjoyed my time with Saints Row 2.

At any rate, I think Saints Row 2 will be one of the (since it seems to be shaping up that way) suprise hits of late 2008 - Everyone is focusing on the "big" games, all the while Saints Row 2 has a great chance at selling 4 million copies combined on both systems, and become yet another Playstation 3 million seller....And has a very outside (but plausible due to PS3 sales in mainland Europe) shot at 2m.

And GTAIV08 - I really doubt that logic. Although we're going to see the X360 version sell VERY well in comparison to the PS3 version, the fact remains that we've seen time and time again that very few games are biased toward one platform - Good games sell well...GTAIV, DMC4, and other PS2-centric titles all did very well on the X360, which should speak volumes about how the inverse can be true for Xbox-gone-Playstation games.

Ye know the huge hardcore gamer backlash.....I mean I know no-one in my school or online who wasn't disappointed with that game,......just maybe 1 or 2 people.

& as you said it was because it wasn't "fun" like San Andreas....so what I meant to say is that will SR 4 gain sales by now being the GTA SA type "fun" game...it probably will.

4 Million combined seems unlikely....but if it does that'll be 1 million on Ps3 n 2 million on 360

If it gets to 2 million on Ps3....then 360 will be at atleast 3.5 million + ....making it a 5 + million seller...now that would be HUGE for the franchise.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

It's just so interesting how a lot of these markets have split. That despite Wii dominating in the hardware and usually software it has been unlike the PS2 in dominating the software front in similar ways to the PS2 but no doubt still sells a lot of software. Why? Well I think the best theory would be that Wii has not necessarily closed the PS3 or 360's main appeal market down, that being the hobbyist gamer. Wii has appeal there but 360 and PS3 are specific to that appeal thus they are going to get that as their majority of software being bought. While Wii still gets that it doesn't get as much because its kinda at a split with its multiple appeals.

So it allows the PS3 and 360 to really survive software wise in a lot o these markets such as the UK. Would be a lot worse for PS3 and 360 were on par to the Xbox and GC last year where they were unable to really grasp a stronghold into the core market.

People are always wondering why Wii versions of the games don't sell as well or why those 2 with smaller userbases can still sell. Well that is the most likely answer being that while Wii has split appeal on those core games Ps3 and 360 have direct appeal to them. Not to mention its more than likely multiple consoles are owned between those hobbyist that would choose the 360 or Ps3 version over the Wii. It's this thing that we criticize Wii on for not dominating fully that actually allows your PS3's and 360's to continue to have a market haha. Oh how things work.