By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is current Wii online offerings better than Super Smash Brothers Brawl

SSBB= crappy random online play. Its decent when you play 'with friends' but even then the lag can tear you apart.

Id recommend MoHH2, Kart Wii, Madden 09 (hell pretty much any online EA game), PES 08/09, and Strikers Charged. Im sure theres more, but thats what comes to mind.

Around the Network

yea brawls online is a bit laggy half the time, but kart is amazing

But anyway brawl is not fun online anyway. One thing i found is that Nintendo multiplayer games are a billion times more fun playing in person than over internet. So I dont' really care.

If i want to play smash i invite friends over to play and we hae an amazing time. Playing online with them i get bored and don't really care, even with voice chat (use headset phones) it still sucks and not as fun.

famousringo said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
famousringo said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Bomberman Blast on Wiiware has a good online component. Still uses friend codes but it works. No major issues like the ones in Smash Bros.

As far as that goes, so does Dr. Mario.

Not sure why these WiiWare developers could figure out online but Sakurai couldn't. :P

Because a fighting game and Doctor Mario make for a great basis of comparison.

You don't think Bomberman has fast-paced action?

Lag in the fight is one thing, but I can't even get SSBB to start a fight. This is not a problem with Dr. Mario or Bomberman.

That sounds... odd. 

After playing hundreds of of SSBB matches, I can't really understand your problem unless you're just too impatient to wait for people to join you.  Or you haven't tried friend-codes.

famousringo said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
famousringo said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Bomberman Blast on Wiiware has a good online component. Still uses friend codes but it works. No major issues like the ones in Smash Bros.

As far as that goes, so does Dr. Mario.

Not sure why these WiiWare developers could figure out online but Sakurai couldn't. :P

Because a fighting game and Doctor Mario make for a great basis of comparison.

Lag in the fight is one thing, but I can't even get SSBB to start a fight. This is not a problem with Dr. Mario or Bomberman.

Uno mas tiempo: if you're experiencing no lag (or random disconnects or long wait times to get a match) in Bomberman on Wii you are lucky--check out Hudson's forum or GameFAQs' Bomberman Blast board to get a sampling of the reality of the situation.

Now don't get me wrong: I love my Wii, but SSBB and BB both have serious lag issues and I really, really wish they'd find some way to patch/fix the problem as it's currently ruining BB for a lot of people.

Words Of Wisdom said:
famousringo said:

That sounds... odd. 

After playing hundreds of of SSBB matches, I can't really understand your problem unless you're just too impatient to wait for people to join you.  Or you haven't tried friend-codes.

Yes, I am referring to random matches, not friend matches, which really shouldn't be a problem. They aren't a problem for Mario Kart, Bomberman, or Dr. Mario. As far as I know, fighting games have no special attributes which would prevent them from finding a random match, even though they might be more sensitive to lag issues than other games.

I'm not impatient. I've hung around the waiting room for five or ten minutes several times and only managed to find a match once. Things were fantastic for around three rounds, then somebody dropped and was replaced by a lagger. After turning off my Wii to escape a painfully laggy game, I have never again managed to to join a random match, and that's not for lack of trying.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
famousringo said:

Yes, I am referring to random matches, not friend matches, which really shouldn't be a problem. They aren't a problem for Mario Kart, Bomberman, or Dr. Mario. As far as I know, fighting games have no special attributes which would prevent them from finding a random match, even though they might be more sensitive to lag issues than other games.

I'm not impatient. I've hung around the waiting room for five or ten minutes several times and only managed to find a match once. Things were fantastic for around three rounds, then somebody dropped and was replaced by a lagger. After turning off my Wii to escape a painfully laggy game, I have never again managed to to join a random match, and that's not for lack of trying.

I don't actually ever play random matches anymore, only with friends.  I'm betting a lot of other people are the same way.  This creates a cyclical problem where I don't want to play random because there's no one on and no one else wants to play random because they're having the exact same thoughts as me.  You really can't blame SSBB if they provided two modes of play and one turned out to be way more popular/used.  Although, I kind of wish they would have servers that had bots join your games just to create the illusion of lots of players.  That would be dirty... but clever.

As for lag... it's generally only bad for a short time then it will go away until someone new joins.

Random matches in SSBB are just that - random. I've had matches that ranged from lagless 4 player blowouts to matches not starting, to matches grinding to a lagging halt by the 45 second mark.

That's why I mostly play with friends. That,and you can actually set options (STOCK!)

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Mario Kart Wii and Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 both have great online play. SSBB is a great game with a horrible online. :(

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I've only played 3 online brawl games, they were very laggy. (MK is fine)

But then again, most the year I live on campus, with access to friends but not to wireless internet capable of gaming over so it doesn't bother me

BWii has good online if you go on at the right time of day (or with a friend) it doesn't have enough owners for there to be lots of people online at once, so at certain times of day it can take a minute before you find anyone (and often you will end up against the same person again in the next match)

MKWii has brilliant online.

Endless Ocean is a slow game that you can only play with friends anyway, so it doesn't have any online problems other than communication issues.

I have no other online games.