By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Finally... after 196 weeks Ubisoft first to outsell Nintendo on DS in UK

Finally... Nintendo gets trumped on DS

Ubisoft became the first ever publisher to outsell Nintendo on DS in the UK last week – challenging the belief that third parties can’t succeed on the Japanese company’s consoles.

Nintendo has been the dominant software publisher on the console in terms of units since the DS launched on March 11th, 2005: a full 196 weeks.

Ubisoft had particular success in the landmark week (ending October 4th) with its Games For Everyone back catalogue, as well as recent releases Imagine: Teacher and Puzzler Collection.

The latter jumped three places to second place in ELSPA and GFK-ChartTrack’s official DS Chart. Imagine: Teacher – a release that arrived as kids went back to school after the school holidays – took seventh spot.

Ubisoft marketing director Jon Rosenblatt told MCV:
“It’s a massive milestone for us and the industry – a really big deal.

“We’ve always been highly successful in pushing our back catalogue and we’re also good at pushing promotions with the right price at the right time.

On top of that, we have an excellent understanding of the DS consumer and therefore bring out relevant titles with the right licences.

“We’ve actually spent zero on marketing Puzzler because the licence markets itself.”

GFK ChartTrack analyst Chris Poole – who delivered the good news to Ubisoft – said the firm’s budget back catalogue titles made the difference. “It was a very close-run thing,” he commented.

“Ubisoft won it in the budget chart. Even this week, they’ve got eight entries in the Budget Top 30 to Nintendo’s six. Their Imagine range just keeps on selling. It’s a real surprise – and I can’t predict one way or the other if anyone will ever do it again.”

MCV

Around the Network

Release Japanese Training in Europe and I'll be happy and forget all the shovelwares which you've done until now on DS..

Thank god it's UK only...

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

ZuZayLi said:
Release Japanese Training in Europe and I'll be happy and forget all the shovelwares which you've done until now on DS..

If you're serious about learning 日本語, then a videogame won't get you far. Not even $500 programs like Rosetta Stone will.

If you're serios about learning Japanese, I recommend www.alljapaneseallthetime.com. Who can resist playing video games and reading manga to fluency?

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

oh gosh... who's still buying these Imagine crap?

Around the Network

Such a crappy company. It's just ignorant people who buys that crap, that obviously later regret it and will never buy it again.
Poor kids getting that kind of gift :(

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Well I'll be the first one to say I'm glad. Sure, most of the games Ubisoft puts on the DS suck. But they've always been a pretty crappy games company save for a couple series, and they've always been one of the biggest. If Ubisoft helps to reduce the anti-third party stigma on the DS and Wii, more power to them. Other developers have shown that they will put quality games on the two systems and Ubisoft is helping to prove that the games may sell.

The DS is really no more a mass of shovelware than the GBA or the GB before it. This stuff is standard, and some people are just mad that Ubisoft has become successful doing it.

trestres said:
Such a crappy company. It's just ignorant people who buys that crap, that obviously later regret it and will never buy it again.
Poor kids getting that kind of gift :(

I find this ironic.  This is what gamers said about Wii sports and Wii Fit.  You never know until you try it. :)

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

It's well known that their products are budget offerings that lack any kind of quality. Possibly in the lowest quality level among most of the devs. Their games are shovelware, just check the ratings and reviews, more than 99% of the reviewers agree that what they make for Nintendo systems is no better than a turd.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

oh it only took 196 weeks ?..

you realise that's almost 4 years right ? So it took 4 years for a publisher other than nintendo to hit nr. 1 in a single week in the uk. .... that's.. not really that impressive..

Check out my game about moles ^