By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega CD article on IGN

Wow...I never knew there were so many sega CD fans on the site.

Sure the system wasn't the greatest system in the world and it did struggle for about a year to get quality software and it did die in 4 years (1992-1996).

But it always gave the gamer a feeling that they were playing something new and exciting...even if the game was not that good. Like Sewer Shark... I never had any regrets buying it.

It almost seems like that reviewer just watched some Angry Videogame Nerd videos about Sega CD and played a few of these games last week...and decided to write this as he found them to be terrible in 2008.

Around the Network

My favorites:

Lunar
Lunar 2
Popful Mail
Vay
Keio Flying Squadron
Sonic CD
Dark Wizard
Shing Force CD
Snatcher
Night Trap 32X CD
Space Adventure Cobra (for nudity)

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

It's called hyperbole. In other words, the author of the article INTENTIONALLY stretched the truth in order to make a point, which was that the Sega CD didn't have a whole heck of a lot of good software support. That's what tarnished Sega's name and helped eventually lead to its downfall. If every article was written with the dry simple truth that fanboys seem to demand, then all articles would be the equivalent to not playing your tiny Sega CD collection (i.e. incredibly boring).

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

jman8 said:
It's called hyperbole. In other words, the author of the article INTENTIONALLY stretched the truth in order to make a point, which was that the Sega CD didn't have a whole heck of a lot of good software support. That's what tarnished Sega's name and helped eventually lead to its downfall. If every article was written with the dry simple truth that fanboys seem to demand, then all articles would be the equivalent to not playing your tiny Sega CD collection (i.e. incredibly boring).

I don't know what you're talking about here as Sega CD got good 3rd pary support. Much much better than 3do, jaguar or any of the other non 16 bit systems at that time.

And as you can see above, there were plenty of fan favourite quality titles from Sega such as Ecco the dolphin, Shinig force, sonic cd, Dark Wizard and Eternal champions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_Mega-CD_games

Go through that list and then tell me where the "lack of good software support" comment comes from?

The IGN article did not strech the truth...its is simply wrong in its thesis.

32X tarnished Segas hardware reputation, sega CD did not.

Looks like its national lets pick on Sega day at the IGN offices, And exactly how many games and consoles have IGN made?

Shouldn't IGN be talking about how much (Allegedly) better they are than say Gamespot or Eurogamer?

Around the Network

Just a dumb question here but... I remember some games late in the Sega CD's life that said "Sega 32X CD" on the box... so they were CD games that also REQUIRED a 32X to be played? How the hell did that work?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
Just a dumb question here but... I remember some games late in the Sega CD's life that said "Sega 32X CD" on the box... so they were CD games that also REQUIRED a 32X to be played? How the hell did that work?

Believe it or not those games came with 2 disks. Sega CD disk and 32x Sega CD disk...lol.

Basically they would play fine on sega cd, but if you had a 32X, they would enhance the collor pallete to the point it was actually nice to look at.

Games that did this that i can think of are Fahrenheit, Corpse Killer...umm...more possibly???

But seriously, the sega CD was terrible.

And yes, I unfortunately owned one.

I wonder if the Sega CD was a reaction to the Nintendo Playstation.

Back to the OP, the author does not do a good job of anything except needless bashing. I was going to say that I have seen better posts on VGChartz, but that would be damning this site with faint praise.

FMV was a much bigger deal than laser disk games -- at least in perception -- because no one had seen anything like that before. The phenomenon was short lived, but it was the reason for the original craze.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

disolitude said:
NightDragon83 said:

Believe it or not those games came with 2 disks. Sega CD disk and 32x Sega CD disk...lol.

Basically they would play fine on sega cd, but if you had a 32X, they would enhance the collor pallete to the point it was actually nice to look at.

Games that did this that i can think of are Fahrenheit, Corpse Killer...umm...more possibly???

Ahhh... it's all clear to me now!  Yeah I remember seeing those 2 games and an NBA game featuring Scotty Pippen haha.  2 CDs huh?  I had no idea... when I first saw them in stores I was like what, do they come with a 32X cartridge AND a CD to be played?

The Sega CD did have a handful of gems, notably Sonic (obviously) and Mortal Kombat which was by far the best version available at the time.  Played that at my friends house all the time back in the day... the SNES version was good but just couldn't measure up.

The 32X on the other hand is a completely different story... a $179 add-on with a library of mediocre to comepletely crap games... that and the surprise early launch of the Saturn was the one-two punch combo that set Sega way back and pretty much doomed their future as a hardware manufacturer.  Dreamcast was a great system for its time, but didn't get the support it needed because most publishers still had their doubts and saw greener pastures elsewhere with Sony.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.