By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you know JOE THE PLUMBER?

Kasz216 said:

He asked Obama why he wanted to punish his success when he buys his new house and Obama said this.

“It’s not that I want to punish your success, I just want to make sure that everybody who is behind you, that they’ve got a chance at success, too. I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody.”

It is good for everybody.  If the rest of America is broke and cant afford a plumber, Joe isn't going to make much money and he isn't going to hire anybody.  If the rest of America has more money to pay for goods and services, Joe is going to make more money and hire more people.

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:
Kasz216 said:

He asked Obama why he wanted to punish his success when he buys his new house and Obama said this.

“It’s not that I want to punish your success, I just want to make sure that everybody who is behind you, that they’ve got a chance at success, too. I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody.”

It is good for everybody.  If the rest of America is broke and cant afford a plumber, Joe isn't going to make much money and he isn't going to hire anybody.  If the rest of America has more money to pay for goods and services, Joe is going to make more money and hire more people.

hmm. wrong. your base premise is just wrong.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:
ManusJustus said:
Kasz216 said:

Err, nope you're wrong.

When the wealth gap is more narrow and more people have more money, that means that more consumers have more money to buy goods and services with.  These consumers have more buying power which they spend which creates more businesses and jobs.  In economics, this is referred to as a job multiplier.

ManusJustus said:
tokilamockingbrd said:
ManusJustus said:
Kasz216 said:

Err, nope you're wrong.

When the wealth gap is more narrow and more people have more money, that means that more consumers have more money to buy goods and services with.  These consumers have more buying power which they spend which creates more businesses and jobs.  In economics, this is referred to as a job multiplier.

is your economic reference Das Capital?

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Kasz216 said:
Final-Fan said:
^ More 527s =/= more despicable campaign. Plus, on the general topic of "left/right character assassination", you have to count talk radio.
Which is why i'd consider it "fair" since there are more conservatives on radio, and more liberals on TV.

Though all and all actually counting 527s and crap as part of "character assassnation" plans of the actual politicians is BS if you ask me since they don't actually have anything to do with the campaigns.

I mean if somebody kills my boss so i can get a promotion, if i don't know the person or had nothing to do with it.  I don't get charged for a crime/blamed for anything.

Where "Swiftboating" came from seemed like a refrence to 527s in general.  Or atleast negative ones.  Which had been around a LONG time.  Just that one vs Kerry was the most successful.  Partially because of the Media being way too "ratings grabbing".

Those adds wouldn't of been shit if the media didn't do big storys like "Is it true!  We haven't done any research yet but hey lets throw it out there!"

So talk radio and liberal TV even out, but the media was most of the reason the Swift boat ads even worked?  I'd argue your presumption that TV is liberal, but I don't have to:  we're talking about net EFFECT, right?  How often does talk radio spread baseless dirty rumors about Republicans?  I don't listen to Limbaugh, but I'm pretty sure he never has.  Unless maybe the Republican in question is Jim Jeffords or something. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:
Final-Fan said:
^ More 527s =/= more despicable campaign. Plus, on the general topic of "left/right character assassination", you have to count talk radio.
Which is why i'd consider it "fair" since there are more conservatives on radio, and more liberals on TV.

Though all and all actually counting 527s and crap as part of "character assassnation" plans of the actual politicians is BS if you ask me since they don't actually have anything to do with the campaigns.

I mean if somebody kills my boss so i can get a promotion, if i don't know the person or had nothing to do with it.  I don't get charged for a crime/blamed for anything.

Where "Swiftboating" came from seemed like a refrence to 527s in general.  Or atleast negative ones.  Which had been around a LONG time.  Just that one vs Kerry was the most successful.  Partially because of the Media being way too "ratings grabbing".

Those adds wouldn't of been shit if the media didn't do big storys like "Is it true!  We haven't done any research yet but hey lets throw it out there!"

So talk radio and liberal TV even out, but the media was most of the reason the Swift boat ads even worked?  I'd argue your presumption that TV is liberal, but I don't have to:  we're talking about net EFFECT, right?  How often does talk radio spread baseless dirty rumors about Republicans?  I don't listen to Limbaugh, but I'm pretty sure he never has.  Unless maybe the Republican in question is Jim Jeffords or something. 

He spread a lot of dirty pointless rumors about McCain just recently.

tokilamockingbrd said:
ManusJustus said:
tokilamockingbrd said:
ManusJustus said:
Kasz216 said:

Err, nope you're wrong.

is your economic reference Das Capital?

Das Kapital?

No, I dont recall Karl Marx ever championing the idea of giving the middle class more money so that businesses could increase sales and have higher revenue to hire more employees.

@ Kasz216: I stand corrected. Wow. I knew the extremists were pushing the Republicans right, but the best Limbaugh can say is that he "hates McCain less"? And that's only AFTER he picked Palin -- in the primaries, he said McCain would be as bad as Hillary Clinton, which for a right-wing pundit is saying something.

I guess putting Palin on the ticket wasn't such a bad move after all for McCain. But for me, the fact that he couldn't get his base to stop hating him without her only underscores my conviction that the hardcore right wing is bad for the Republican Party and bad for America.

P.S. I still take issue with "liberal media", but I don't particularly feel like arguing the point. But I trust you're not calling them liberal simply by comparison with Fox?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Final-Fan said:
@ Kasz216: I stand corrected. Wow. I knew the extremists were pushing the Republicans right, but the best Limbaugh can say is that he "hates McCain less"? And that's only AFTER he picked Palin -- in the primaries, he said McCain would be as bad as Hillary Clinton, which for a right-wing pundit is saying something.

I guess putting Palin on the ticket wasn't such a bad move after all for McCain. But for me, the fact that he couldn't get his base to stop hating him without her only underscores my conviction that the hardcore right wing is bad for the Republican Party and bad for America.

P.S. I still take issue with "liberal media", but I don't particularly feel like arguing the point. But I trust you're not calling them liberal simply by comparison with

I agree.  though I also think the hardcore left wing people are bad for the democratic party and America as well.

By liberal media I just mean general news media leaning left wing.  Fox news is the TV equivlent of Air America Radio.

In theory, yes, but they don't wield nearly as much power in the Democratic party as their counterparts do with Republicans, so I'm not worried about them ... for now.