By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Trophies or Achievments?

achievements because every game has them, and is like a little meta-game in itself.

Around the Network

i don't even have a trophy yet.. lol

For me, the concept behind trophies is better, but their implementation is worse. I prefer the gold, silver, bronze method, but the PS3 system is severely lacking online PC integration, and services like MyGamerCard are really good, so if SONY launches a similar system then it will be much closer

However, at the moment achievements do win

Well as for comparing systems, and not their actual implementation, I actually prefer the trophy system since it puts a heavier emphasis on how many pointless e-penis goals you complete, as opposed to their artificial arbitrary value that Gamerscore has a heavier emphasis on.

This whole “I’m Level 8,” or I’m “I’ve got 15,000G,” really doesn’t mean much to me since every developer decides their own values for both achievements/trophies and you can theoretically get to those milestones a dozen different ways. Because of that I think it’s more fun to see how many trophies or achievements people earn instead of what they’re supposedly worth.

Even as far as the arbitrary values go, I prefer the simple bronze, silver, gold scale set of values on trophies over gamerscore point values. Both are open to rank abuse though, so that’s kind of a wash for me.

As already pointed out, Gamerscore is in every 360 game, more visible, and more accessible. It started this cross-game score whoring trend, so I’d be surprised otherwise.

achivements because every single 360 game has them instead of only a selected few.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
I prefer the one on PS3 because MS sucks.....

I knew this would be posted sometime. Way to be a fanboy dude.

They're about equal. I do like the accessibility of Gamerscores and the fact that every game has them, but trophies are basically the same thing so there really is no winner here. And no Sony didn't copy Misrosoft with this either, just to answer the inveitable fanboy post by a 360 loyalist saying they did.

HALOOOOOOOO said:
theprof00 said:

They're about equal. I do like the accessibility of Gamerscores and the fact that every game has them, but trophies are basically the same thing so there really is no winner here. And no Sony didn't copy Misrosoft with this either, just to answer the inveitable fanboy post by a 360 loyalist saying they did.

you must be new.

theprof00 said:
HALOOOOOOOO said:
theprof00 said:

you must be new.

If July of '07 is new then I suppose so, but why do you ask?

because everyone says things like i said as a joke. I thought that was normal...
I joined this site because I identify with the humor and professional level.

I was on kotaku before this, talk about fanboyism.

I wouldn't say I'm known for this type of thing, but I jokingly attack stuff a lot.

Except the Wii, I never joke about the wii because it is garbage, and garbage belongs in a landfill, and landfills are serious.... seriously destroying our planet with methane. Wii=farts