By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much space does MGS4 really use on the BluRay Disk?

Aldro said:
Heard its around 50GB on 1080p/i

YOu could convert it.... but that would make it.. ? Lame? xD

You are very confused, 50Gb doesn´t mean that the game is 1080p, and 1080p doesn´t mean that the game size is 50Gb, final resolution is more related with the power of the gpu + cpu (More gpu), and about a 50Gb game size, well, do you have a proof?

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network
Jordahn said:
NJ5 said:
As a worst case, let's say each act was put in a separate DVD... Wouldn't that still be better than waiting for a lengthy per-act installation?

Uncompressed audio should be one of the first few things to go, as the vast majority of people don't have the ears or the TV hardware to notice it.

HAHAHAHA!!!  There are a lot of things people don't have to allow them to take advantage of the niceties of life such as uncompressed audio, but that never stop the promotion of it.  With your logic, everyone should just stop making progression in technology since the majority can never initially take advantage of it.  Also about the act per DVD, you have also to consider the manufacturers/developers.  "Too many" DVD's can end up costly in manufacturing cost, shipping weight, and physical storage space..

There are very few people who can tell the difference between uncompressed and well compressed audio even with high-end audio hardware (much better than any TV has)... Look for double-blind tests in audio related forums and you'll see what I mean. There's also the possibility of using lossless compression, which results in no loss of quality at all (as the name says) while cutting audio file size in half.

Technology progression is cool, but some things just aren't worth it. Using uncompressed audio was probably not a problem for the PS3 version since they probably had space to spare. I'd imagine that uncompressed audio would have been one of the first few things Konami would have eliminated had they really been space-constrained. Since they didn't do this, I'm inclined to believe the reports that this game takes about 30 GB on the BR disc.

Your last point is a good one, but that didn't stop some games from using a lot of discs. That has happened in previous generations as well as this one.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

it is almost all sound, however, the graphics probably wouldn't be as good, but the whole game would be there mainly with less sound.

NJ5 said:
Jordahn said:
NJ5 said:
As a worst case, let's say each act was put in a separate DVD... Wouldn't that still be better than waiting for a lengthy per-act installation?

Uncompressed audio should be one of the first few things to go, as the vast majority of people don't have the ears or the TV hardware to notice it.

HAHAHAHA!!!  There are a lot of things people don't have to allow them to take advantage of the niceties of life such as uncompressed audio, but that never stop the promotion of it.  With your logic, everyone should just stop making progression in technology since the majority can never initially take advantage of it.  Also about the act per DVD, you have also to consider the manufacturers/developers.  "Too many" DVD's can end up costly in manufacturing cost, shipping weight, and physical storage space..

There are very few people who can tell the difference between uncompressed and well compressed audio even with high-end audio hardware... Look for double-blind tests in audio related forums and you'll see what I mean. There's also the possibility of using lossless compression, which results in no loss of quality at all (as the name says) while cutting audio file size in half.

Technology progression is cool, but some things just aren't worth it. Using uncompressed audio was probably not a problem for the PS3 version since they probably had space to spare. I'd imagine that uncompressed audio would have been one of the first few things Konami would have eliminated had they really been space-constrained. Since they didn't do this, I'm inclined to believe the reports that this game takes about 30 GB on the BR disc.

Your last point is a good one, but that didn't stop some games from using a lot of discs. That has happened in previous generations as well as this one.

I have a feeling when Kojima said they filled up a Blu-ray disc he meant a 25gb one. Meaning when MGS4 shipped on a 50gb disc it was because they couldn't fit the game with uncompressed audio on a 25gb disc. Of course that's all speculation and I'll still get told off by somebody for making an assumption.

You are very confused, 50Gb doesn´t mean that the game is 1080p, and 1080p doesn´t mean that the game size is 50Gb, final resolution is more related with the power of the gpu + cpu (More gpu), and about a 50Gb game size, well, do you have a proof?

The reason i said i HEARD was just for that point. No i dont have proof :P But i heard and thats always something Either way id say its alot space... compared to a normal DVD.

Around the Network

DVD's cost penny's to produce.

NJ5 said:
Jordahn said:
NJ5 said:

There are very few people who can tell the difference between uncompressed and well compressed audio even with high-end audio hardware... Look for double-blind tests in audio related forums and you'll see what I mean. There's also the possibility of using lossless compression, which results in no loss of quality at all (as the name says) while cutting audio file size in half.

You are generalizing too much for the sake of justification.  I for one can tell the difference, and worth it or not is another discussion in of itself.  Just because it isn't worth it to you doesn't give the you right to deem it as fact for all.  And I agree multiple discs were used in the past and now, but how often have you heard of a console game coming in 5 DVD's (one for each act in MGS4?)  That will also take some special packaging that will add to the manufacturing and shipping costs. Now, I never said it was impossible.  It's not as easy as some would like to fantizise.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Aldro said:

The reason i said i HEARD was just for that point. No i dont have proof :P But i heard and thats always something Either way id say its alot space... compared to a normal DVD.

The issue here is that nobody has ever hear anything similar to a 50gb game, if you look for proof, you will only find misquotes about the same subject, all ends on the same source, "Kojima said bluray is not enough", later sony make an announcement, talking about how MGS was the first game to ship on a double layer disk, funny thing, the size of the game is never quoted...

So yeah, the only reason why fans keep quoting the 50Gb game, is to try to do some damage control, like "Kojima is a PS3 fan and hates the 360", "Is impossible to make a port" and things like that, just wishfull thinking...

BTW Resident Evil 2 is a Two CD game, but the game got ported, and fits on a single 64 Mb cartridge...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Jordahn said:

You are generalizing too much for the sake of justification.  I for one can tell the difference, and worth it or not is another discussion in of itself.  Just because it isn't worth it to you doesn't give the you right to deem it as fact for all.  And I agree multiple discs were used in the past and now, but how often have you heard of a console game coming in 5 DVD's (one for each act in MGS4?)  That will also take some special packaging that will add to the manufacturing and shipping costs. Now, I never said it was impossible.  It's not as easy as some would like to fantizise.

What audio hardware do you have?

How do you prove you can tell the difference? The only real proof is if you can go through a double-blind test, meaning a test in which you don't know whether you're listening to uncompressed audio or (professionally) compressed audio. Then you're supposed to tell whether there's compression or not, and hit the right answer virtually 100% of the time.

Many people in audio-related websites have done tests like this, and only a few can tell the difference (not on a TV by the way, and certainly not while in the midst of frantic game action).

" It's not as easy as some would like to fantizise."

It doesn't matter whether it's easy or not... What matters is that it's possible, as long as we're discussing the feasibility of this port.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Well if you say so :)..

I do like the blu-ray joke scene in MGS4.

Otacon says: SNAKE WAIT, its time to put in disc 2 can you find it?

Snake says: Ehhhum????

Otacon says: OH RIGHT we are on the playstation 3 system! no need for a disc 2, this is blu-ray! DUAL LAYER TOO!

Snake says: Meh get a grip Otacon!

*Game continues*

XD thats fun