By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How well will this computer run games?

mrjuju said:
Ok, your not too far away from my computer (I don't have a dual core, and my motherboard isn't quite as nice, but I have more RAM and a better video card, so in the end it probably evens out quite nicely) and it just so happens I have played most of those games, so I will help ya out!

* Devil May Cry 4 - I can play it with the max settings with a rock steady 50-60 fps, this title was optimized perfectly for PC, don't worry about it

* Lost Planet - It'll run, you will probably want to keep things at about medium to high, but it will run. Like a lot of console games ported to PC it is a memory hog, or at least that is what I remember.

* Assassin's Creed- Never played it, I don't have a dual core...

* Gears of War - See Lost Planet

* Crysis - Never tried with mine, but from what I have heard, it is fairly scalable, so you should be able to go with medium settings with no problem

* Call of Duty 4 - This will run nicely

* The Orange Box - I have a theory that you can actually install the Orange Box on a toaster and it will run fine. The Source engine let's you scale things back to amazing levels, not that you will need to. You will be fine

* Bioshock- I run it on high with no slowdown, no reason that computer shouldn't be able to do the same.

cool thanks!

Around the Network

The CPU is great! Don't let anyone talk you away from the E2180.  It's going to easily outperform PS3 / 360 visuals on the same multiplat games.

Combined with the P45 mobo, you can overclock that CPU by 50%. That's the exact combo I have, and I've got the E2180 running at 3GHZ.

If you're on a budget you have to overclock, no question.  Here's a good guide,

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13815

You might want to upgrade it a few years down the road when games support Quad Core, but by then, Quad Core will be $60 cheap :)

Chech the link in my sig for the build I used.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

frybread said:
The CPU is great! Don't let anyone talk you away from the E2180.

Combined with the P45 mobo, you can overclock it by 50%. That's the exact combo I have, and I've got the E2180 running at 3GHZ.

You might want to upgrade it a few years down the road when games support Quad Core, but by then, Quad Core will be $60 cheap :)

Chech the link in my sig for the build I used.

haha yeah I based the parts by the build in your sig. I just did some minor tweaking. Should I get the 8800 or stick with 9600?

EDIT: How would games run with nothing OCed?

I'd see if you could pick up a good card on slickdeals.net first, you never know what you'll find.

Also, Techreport updates their builds every 2 months, so they should have a brand new one ready in a couple weeks, don't know if you can wait or not.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)

frybread said:
I'd see if you could pick up a good card on slickdeals.net first, you never know what you'll find.

Also, Techreport updates their builds every 2 months, so they should have a brand new one ready in a couple weeks, don't know if you can wait or not.

I've looked for builds but I can't find it on tech reports.

Around the Network

You can look into this if you need any more suggestions:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2330579,00.asp

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

shakunage said:
frybread said:

I've looked for builds but I can't find it on tech reports.

On the very front page, www.techreport.com look to the lower right.  Or just CTRL+F  "system guide", new ones out in a couple weeks

so is this better than the Chump box On the first page in PC discussion

And considering the CPU is a pentium, is that going to gimp my graphical/gaming performance all that much?

shakunage said:
so is this better than the Chump box On the first page in PC discussion

And considering the CPU is a pentium, is that going to gimp my graphical/gaming performance all that much?

no the chump box is made by Squilliam and the chump box beats your box, you should look at the original thread and there are even better deals for a chump box. The chump box actually beats your rig because the chump box has a 9800gt. 

Also, that case is fugly.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).