By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo: Japan's 9th Largest Corporation By Market Capitalization ($61 BN)

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070720/41781_id.html?.v=1

When reading this a couple notes to consider:

1) Other companies have much higher revenue.

2) Nintendo's Market Capitalization was $51 billion a few weeks ago - if it keeps gaining like this it could enter the top 5, later on, if trends continue into 2008 it could potentially get as high as number 3 on the list, although I just don't see Nintendo ever reaching Toyota or Mitsubishi levels of insanity...

Seeking Alpha
Nintendo Sets Another New High, Becomes Ninth Largest Japanese Company
Friday July 20, 9:36 am ET

Steven Towns submits: It seems like nothing can stop Nintendo (JP: 7974) as it has gained 10.3% to ¥52,900 in two past two sessions, after losing 4.5% mid-week following its first close above ¥50,000.

Nintendo is now the ninth largest Japanese company by market cap ahead of the likes of Takeda Pharma, Nippon Steel, Japan Tobacco and Sony (JP: 6758) (NYSE: SNE - News).

Nintendo rose 4.6% overnight to ¥52,900 ($54.16 ADR equiv. at ¥122.1/$1), increasing its market capitalization to nearly ¥7.5 trillion ($61.4b).

Nintendo's ADRs closed up 5.9% to $52.15 Thursday.

Nintendo's ordinary shares are trading around 38.8x trailing and forward earnings. Bears will cite valuation and call Nintendo pricey, but Nintendo can certainly go higher, as it had traded with a p/e above 40 in the past, before upward revising its earnings forecast.

At 40x earnings, Nintendo would be trading at about ¥54,500, or 3% higher than its Friday close. That doesn't seem like much upside, but the key question is how much Nintendo will raise its guidance, as Wii and DS hardware/software sales remain robust and the yen is weaker than its original estimate.

10-Largest Japanese Companies by Market Cap

1. Toyota (NYSE: TM - News) ¥27.3 trillion ($223.6b)
    2. Mitsubishi UFJ (NYSE: MTU - News) ¥14.2 trillion ($116.3b)
    3. Mizuho FG (NYSE: MFG - News) ¥9.8 trillion ($80.3b)
    4. Canon (NYSE: CAJ - News) ¥9.6 trillion ($78.6b)
    5. Mitsui Sumitomo FG ¥8.7 trillion ($71.3b)
    6. NTT (NYSE: NTT - News) ¥8.5 trillion ($69.6b)
    7. Honda (NYSE: HMC - News) ¥8.35 trillion ($68.4b)
    8. NTT DoCoMo (NYSE: DCM - News) ¥8.3 trillion ($67.9b)
    9. Nintendo ¥7.5 trillion ($61.4b)
    10. Takeda Pharma ¥7.2 trillion ($59b)

* Values as of Friday 7/20 Tokyo close; all figures rounded to nearest ¥100 billion; US$ figures converted at ¥122.1 for convenience; tickers are for respective exchange-listed ADRs

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Just don't forget nintendo's domination is going to end soon because of sony

/end sarcasm

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

I still think a stock split could do them a world of good. Then they can sell 10% of their shares (5bn), and buy a few companies. It won't happen, but imagine if Nintendo could purchase/merge with Capcom & Konami (or even Square Enix).

A strategic purchase in NTTDoCoMo (mobiles) or another mobile company (Nokia?) could be awesome. Their revenue & profit is still just a fraction of what MS generates each qrt.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

The regulations in Japan are kind of crazy. They still issue paper stock certificates. Supposedly they are updating the regulations in 2009 which will make splits easier.

that's a long way between #8 and #9.

and damn, in the recent pullback, if it lasted one more day i would have bought some more nintendo ADR's.

and by the way, stock splits does nothing to a company. and besides, in japan nintendo stocks are traded in units of 100. they need to take serious actions if they really want small investor to join in the fray. selling additional shares and have no good idea how to spend them is a bad, bad, bad idea... not to mention they already have $7bln cash in hand they don't know what to do with.

at this point, nintendo has tons of options. the managements has shown it knows its stuff in video games, see if they can identify opportunities outside of it (fitness, mobiles, animation, etc).

EDIT: not that long a gap between #8 and #9.  apparently there's a typo.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

50,000 yen * 100 units ~= $41,000 US. that's how much capital you need just to get in bed with nintendo in japan. maybe some brokers offer services that allow small investors to pool in money, but that's another story.

the Wii is an epidemic.

I'm concerned more about getting off Pinksheets than I am about a stock splits. I've already sent them a letter about moving to a bigger exchange, hopefully they can do it soon.

Errr... how come the 8th position's market cap in dollar is even higher than the 3rd position down?

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Interesting, because Sony's revenue was 68.39 billion dollars in 06. What caused them to lose in excess of 10 billion dollars in profit?

Market Cap Revenue
Revenue Profit