By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Steve Jobs on Blu-ray, ouch!

Jo21 said:

Worldwide marketshare is around 7%.

That is still a huge amount for any single manufacturer.

Around the Network

im still waiting for the ouch part.

FishyJoe said:
selnor said:
I wouldnt worry sony fans. Aplle macs be it Laptops or desktops on a whole only account for 7% of the computer market. Personal PC and Windows has the rest. Of which you can buy BR drives.

Actually, for the retail market it's above 17% according to Apple.

Um Dude thats US only. I should have said Worldwide. WW Apple sales are very poor. Here in UK for instance the only Apple Mac shop in my City is a tiny shop in the mall. We have 7 dedicated PC shops just in the city centre.

also remember senor jobs controls a voting seat on disney, he could screw with disney's plan for blue ray especially with pixars unit. there has also been implimentation of blueray pulled from the last 4 osx updates, so its not like the dont have it already worked out, this should worry the blue ray group

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

I dont really care for bluray, I want downloads, thats what I want, but here in Norway, it seems hard to get that working. Hope Xbox Live soon gets it marketplace in order here. :(

Around the Network

Isn't Apple on the board for brd?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
Isn't Apple on the board for brd?

yes yes they are and they seem to eb using it to slow down blue ray

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

FishyJoe said:

Apple is in a very different position from MS regarding Blu-ray. Apple has a seat on the board of directors for the BDA. MS has no stake in Blu-ray AFAIK.

That means apple has access to most of the information regarding Blu-ray including sales, licensing, technology, legal, etc.

They hold the rights to the DRM of the Blu-ray discs.  Or part of the DRM rights anyway.  So they make a little money on blu-ray. (MS that is.)

Although they have (certainly) not been 100% accurate, the success Apple has achieved in the past 10 (or so) years has come primarily from being able to figure out what people (in general) consider "Sexy" or "Cool" ...  Steve Jobs not being particularly "Bullish" on Blu-Ray tells me that Apple does not consider it to be much of a "Sexy" or "Cool" feature at the moment, and they are probably not expecting it to become massively popular in the particularly near future.

Now, because Steve Jobs is taking a "Wait and See" approach towards Blu-Ray it means that he hasn't given up on the format ... In other words, although this isn't a positive statement it is not that negative of a statement either.

FishyJoe said:
DMeisterJ said:
What's the "ouch"?

Blu-Ray hasn't taken off, so they're not putting it into the computers right now. Why put BD players into there if it's not standard yet? Waste of money if people don't need it, or don't use it, as it'd raise the price from the already huge price on their lappies anyway.

I fail to see the "ouch".

Please explain the "ouch" part to me?

I see someone who is trying to push a laptop, by not selling it at a high cost.

Bag of hurt = ouch. Bad on me for shortening the statement.

This is gold XD.