By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will LBP Get "Zack and Wikied"?

the bundles will prevent it from not selling.

Around the Network
Phrancheyez said:
konnichiwa said:
Pff I expect a lot of 'X got pwned threads' in a few weeks X_X.

I'm not saying it WILL sell that many in the first week..but total lifetime sales of 900k-1.2mil?  You've got to be kidding me.  If you seriously think that, I don't even know what to tell you.

I was talking in general not especially about you.

Rath said:
FishyJoe said:
I think SMG is a better comparison for LBP. They are both flagships for their brand and have full backing by their systems.

Mario: One of the oldest characters in gaming and certainly the most recognizable, never had a poorly ranked game in the main series.

LBP: New IP.

Stupid comparison Fishy.

Well, Sackboy is the closest thing that Sony has to Mario right now. Both games are platformers as well.

I can think of many examples of new IPs intended to compete with established franchises. For example, Resistance was a new IP is often compared to Halo.

FishyJoe said:
Rath said:
FishyJoe said:
I think SMG is a better comparison for LBP. They are both flagships for their brand and have full backing by their systems.

Mario: One of the oldest characters in gaming and certainly the most recognizable, never had a poorly ranked game in the main series.

LBP: New IP.

Stupid comparison Fishy.

Well, Sackboy is the closest thing that Sony has to Mario right now. Both games are platformers as well.

I can think of many examples of new IPs intended to compete with established franchises. For example, Resistance was a new IP is often compared to Halo.

Its not close though, nowhere near as much brand recognition.

Aaand

Halo 3 Microsoft 0.10 6.00 2.19 8.29
Resistance: Fall of Man Sony Computer Entertainment 0.14 1.25 1.78 3.17

Rath said:

Its not close though, nowhere near as much brand recognition.

Aaand

Halo 3 Microsoft 0.10 6.00 2.19 8.29
Resistance: Fall of Man Sony Computer Entertainment 0.14 1.25 1.78 3.17

Cmon man. I'm talking about what market they are competing for. I know the sales aren't going to be the same for crying out loud.

Around the Network

Won't get near MGS4, obviously. And sack boy got nothing on Mario. I still think Snake is the Sony star, been on PS for 10 years now.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Sorry but Resistance got compared most of the time with GEOW not Halo;

outlawauron said:
bardicverse said:
Imperial said:
@ bardicverse who outside the hardcore gaming crowd knows that Okami is ? i'm not exactly sure what Okami is .

This is true, but how many casuals own a PS3 or will buy an expensive machine for one game? In other words, the extensive base of LBP sales will be from the "hardcore" gamers (God, I hate that term).

Also, on your point, the PS2 had a large hardcore gamer base, so theoretically it should have done a LOT better. It was original IP with great acclaim, but in the end, suffered due to not being amped up enough.

My point is that you shouldn't rely on critical acclaim to push a game. That said, LBP has a good buzz and marketing going for it. I expect 1-1.5 mil sales WW, which is still good.

There are enough casuals to buy an extremely large amounts of Madden, FIFA, PES, Singstar, Guitar Hero, Need for Speed, even WWE. Those are all casual games. Not in the same vein of Cooking Mama, but are casual games nonetheless.

See, I don't see casuals buying sports games, they're core gamers too. They just dont play fps, rpgs, etc. They are the sports /action core. They buy the sports games, the racing games, etc. Yet, I wouldn't lump sports games as "casual" games.

^ It's no longer clear cut as to who is a casual or hard core gamer. I would say that someone that just plays sports games is probably closer to being a casual gamer.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Big difference... Little Big Planet was aimed at EU and since one of EU's tounges just happens to be English; the US recieved a lot of that aimed marketing. In otherwords it was marketed very well compared to Capcom which I'm not even sure if they marketed it in Japan.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D