By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Correct me if im wrong but,xboxLive is the only reason the 360 is surviving

hatmoza 2.0 said:
Sardauk said:

"Correct me if I am wrong..."

Yes you are wrong buddy, you are talking about the futur of console gaming.

XBLA is the reason why Microsoft is doing well, with almost 6 millions units ahead, more gamers online, more content, more games sold.

What a crappy thread, that is f*king fanboyism crap again ... enough for one day.

all im saying is ...that microsoft sure as hell aint making money from console sales !! so its gotta be from live !!

Whats your theory on why PS3 is surviving then, I wonder?  Since, like you said, Xbox 360 is selling more software, and PS3 is not charging for online service.  Why is it that you are suprised the Xbox 360 is surviving, and not suprised about the PS3 surviving?

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network
Barozi said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:

think of it .....microsoft has been losing money on every console even b4 the price cut ! Wrong

i can only imagine what its losing now ! they are losing money from RROD, yes software is outselling ps3s but not when u add sonys ps2! Oh right so let's add every single Windows sold in the world and it will beat PS2+PS3+PSP

dont 4get microsoft cant compete with handhelds which widens the users base ! Of course they can't because they don't have a handheld. Oh right I forgot that every PSP owner has a PS3 and every DS a Wii.

so it confuzzled me ,but then i thought about it (being an ex 360 owner)its XBOXLIVE ! not only do u hafe to pay a 50 dollar acount fee , but u also mindlesly purchase shii u dont even use more than a couple times ....and when u combine the 50 dollar fee plus say another 50 dollars on other stuff per console owner ( 20m * 100 = 2,000,000,000 dollars a year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and thats juss an assuming average .

conclusion ....as long as 360 owners are willing to pay , the 360 aint going nowhere!! so get over it people.

Impulsivity said:
In reality, an 80GB PS3 for 399 costs less then a 199 core (doesn't exist anymore I assume you mean arcade) +200 for 4 years of live (you can get 13 months for $40 and you want to play until 2013?... okay) +90 for wireless (It's more like $80 and not everybody needs wireless) +100 or more for a hard drive (you missed the news ? As an Arcade owner you can get a 20GB harddrive for $30 + 3 months LIVE) but a lot of people are taken in by something that seems cheap and don't really notice the recurring costs. Microsoft thrives off of that; I guarantee you there are people on this forum who have given Microsoft nearly 400 dollars by now for online play between the Xbox and the 360, paying more then the console is worth to do what I've been able to do for years free on my Playstations.

= $389 without wireless

= $469 with wireless

I think it's unnecessary to mention, that wire is better ;)

OWned =)

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Impulsivity said:
Yes Live is a big portion of the money they make. Your numbers aren't quite right though. First off not every 360 owner has gold live (I don't for instance since I seldom turn the console on and have a PS3/PC), the last numbers I saw had it at around 10 million. But not all 10 million pay 50 a year, some pay monthly at a higher rate (I think its around 7 or 8 dollars) which comes out to almost 100 dollars a year. Lets say on average they pay 60. So thats 10,000,000 people at 60 dollars each, that gives you 600,000,000 which is a lot. Then toss in the microtransactions they hit you with (there is almost no free content on the 360, unlike the PS3 where themes and all the rest are usually free). On average lets say each Live user (all 25 million this time, since you don't need gold to use live content transactions) spends around 50 a year between games, movies, themes and the rest. That is then 1,250.000.000. So yes they are nickel and dimeing all the 360 owners for around 2 billion per years but not in the way you were mentioning (its more the content then live where they get you).

On top of that of course you can't use 3rd party Hard drives so you have to pay almost 200 dollars for a 120GB drive; you need to buy wireless even on the elite for a 1st part 90 dollars ect ect. Microsoft might make the console cheap, but they get hundreds of dollars out afterwards for all the things that are free with the PS3.

In reality, an 80GB PS3 for 399 costs less then a 199 core+200 for 4 years of live+90 for wireless+100 or more for a hard drive but a lot of people are taken in by something that seems cheap and don't really notice the recurring costs. Microsoft thrives off of that; I guarantee you there are people on this forum who have given Microsoft nearly 400 dollars by now for online play between the Xbox and the 360, paying more then the console is worth to do what I've been able to do for years free on my Playstations.

on free content? i got all my rainbow six ad ons free, so far all my halo map packs, i am waiting for one of the packs to go free. crack down, half of it was free. free gears map packs, free burnout downloads,  the only placei have nickle and dimed was forza, but i enjoy collecting all the cars there, and there were free downloads as well. your cost on the 120 is off, or you could have bought a console with an hd, i still have my 20. it is possible to use 3rd party drives, although it requires a bit of brain, if you have ever built a computer is should be easy enough. you dont have to have wireless controllers, or harddrives, thought that will change, so ms is offering a special to old core/arcade users, im sure youll find  a way to bash that. also your psn is in no way compareable in terms of people on and in the ps2 generation was a laughable on playable mess, i know i tried. 

to summery there is lots of free content if you bought one with an hd your a smarter shopper, though ms seems to be rewarding stupidity with its hd buy up program with 19.99 cost. you could get wired controllers, dont have to buy wireless, which is sonys only option. live has a much more stable environment, with more people here in the states. and if you want to know i have been a live member since day one, and happily pay them for a quality service. as of now i still would not pay for psn, its just not there yet.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Impulsivity said:

Microsoft only made a profit because they pulled a bush administration accounting move. Every year the Iraq war costs us well over 100 billion and every year it is a "supplemental" meaning it isn't included in the budget when they determine the deficit so the deficit doesn't look as bad as it is.

In the same way Microsoft did NOT include the billion+ for RROD repairs in the entertainment division numbers so it looked like they made a small profit. They did not in fact make a profit if those numbers were included, which is why the numbers were excluded.

Microsoft has already included the costs for the RROD warranty in its financial statements.  I believe in the 2nd or the 3rd quarter in 2007 Microsoft took a $1 billion-plus charge against its earnings to account for the costs of the three year warranty.

Rofl thanks for the daily lulz OP.

Around the Network

You people are out of control

IllegalPaladin said:

It couldn't possibly be the good games that help to keep the 360 going, could it?

Impossible. Who buys a console for its games?

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

hatmoza 2.0 said:
Sardauk said:

"Correct me if I am wrong..."

Yes you are wrong buddy, you are talking about the futur of console gaming.

XBLA is the reason why Microsoft is doing well, with almost 6 millions units ahead, more gamers online, more content, more games sold.

What a crappy thread, that is f*king fanboyism crap again ... enough for one day.

all im saying is ...that microsoft sure as hell aint making money from console sales !! so its gotta be from live !!

Oh snap! If Sony is losing lots of money on every console AND their online service is free of charge, they must be in a pickle, right?

I'm pretty sure I read an article stating that Xbox 360 hardware sales were making a profit on each console sold since 2006.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2006/11/16/ps3-loses-up-to-306-per-unit-xbox-360-profits-76-per-sale.htm

So in effect, the entire reason for posting this thread is now void. Case Closed.

you are soooooo wrong.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive