By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Th-that's a b-big number

The number is Graham's number, a frigging massive number that is literally incomprehensible to as how large it is. Larger than Googlolplex by an exceedingly vast amount, this is one bastardly large number.

To understand how large this number is, you need to be familiar with Knuth's up-arrow notation. Go here to understand what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth%27s_up-arrow_notation

Here is what Graham's number is.

Consider an n-dimensional hypercube, and connect each pair of vertices to obtain a complete graph on 2n vertices. Then colour each of the edges of this graph using only the colours red and black. What is the smallest value of n for which every possible such colouring must necessarily contain a single-coloured complete sub-graph with 4 vertices which lie in a plane?

Since no one could probably make heads or tails of this, there was this nice explanation in numbers and arrows and power towers and what not.

This is Graham's number.

Basically, there are 64 Up-Arrow Notations. The number of arrows in each layer is determined by the number below it. So there are 3↑↑↑↑3 arrows in 3↑...↑3. Here is how many arrows it is.

And, like arrows, the number of 3's there are are determined by the power tower to the right of it. The number of power towers there are is very large. There are more power towers then the number of Planck volumes that you can divide the universe in. A planck volume is equal to 6.3 X 1/10000000000000000000000000000000000. Keep in mind that is the mere number of towers, which makes the number unimaginably huge, and that number is the number of arrows for the next layer, and it makes that number even larger, and you do that until you come to the last layer, which has more arrows than the second layer which was innumerably large by so much it is too incomprehensible to even think about. That is only the amount of arrows mind you, which makes Graham's number one fucking huge number.

If this is too confusing, just go to the Wikipedia page for Graham's number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham%27s_number

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

That's how huge LBP is.

Ring ring ring ring, Banana phone.

I understand that some numbers (graham's number included, probably) cannot be written in normal notation (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 100, 1000, etc. etc.) or even scientific notation because the amount of zeroes required to manually write out those large numbers would number more than the theoretical number of atoms in the universe.

Are you a math freak or something like that? I mean how did find this and it interest you so much that you make a thread about it =p?

Around the Network

dtewi, this was your most boring thread ever. You didn't even add your thoughts or feelings or dreams about this number. You might as well have just linked us to Wikipedia and said nothing.

oh my bairstow!.

thats bigger than 6.02x10^23

That's how many inches my penis is. You feel that on your leg? Yeah.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

and you wonder why you're lonely instead of figuring out massive numbers focus on finding at least one non internet based friend

That's bigger than the profit Nintendo makes in an average quarter!?

Also, it's slightly bigger than the gamerankings average for Gears of War 2.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.