By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kojima: Japanese game industry is in trouble

"None of that has anything to do with what this thread is about. Why are you in here? This isn't about the System Wars."

My last post had everything to do with this thread. This thread says Japanese developers are in trouble, I point out that they're winning this generation, and in fact it is the Western developers that aren't doing so hot. How do those things have nothing to do with this thread?

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Around the Network

You're confusing game developers with console manufacturers. There is a sizable difference there, incidentally making your discussion of the different consoles off-topic.

konnichiwa said:
Soriku said:
Paul_Warren said:

Soriku is right about this one.  FFVIII would have not be the same though on the N64.  They would have to cut out all those CGI or their would have be like 15 FFVIII cartridges??

Squeezing lots of CGI into a cartridge? It can be done.

And if Final Fantasy VII can be told on an NES cartridge I don't see how the storage media proves fatal to telling your story. It may not be all shiny and stuff, but I feel that for Square-Enix more restrictions are good things.

"You're confusing game developers with console manufacturers. There is a sizable difference there, incidentally making your discussion of the different consoles off-topic."

Not so, because a Western console like the 360 is going to have mainly Western developers making its games, yet as has been demonstrated by the most recent polls these people making the 360's games aren't doing such a great job that they will be able to keep the 360's lead over the a PS3 very solid one in the next few months. All these types of things are intertwined. And really the most popular games on 360 over the last few months have been Japanese developed games. So when the Western developers are having a hard time making the best games for the Western system and the only games really helping the Western system on a worldwide basis are the Japanese developed games for that system, then who is doing the worse job, Western or Japanese developers? I would say this shows that Western developers are actually in more trouble than Japanese developers.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

noname2200 said:
konnichiwa said:
Soriku said:
Paul_Warren said:

Soriku is right about this one.  FFVIII would have not be the same though on the N64.  They would have to cut out all those CGI or their would have be like 15 FFVIII cartridges??

Squeezing lots of CGI into a cartridge? It can be done.

And if Final Fantasy VII can be told on an NES cartridge I don't see how the storage media proves fatal to telling your story. It may not be all shiny and stuff, but I feel that for Square-Enix more restrictions are good things.

I was talking about being totally the same (also visuals wise) but yeah I agree about ya.

And euhm I really don't know anymore how much CGI RE2 had.

Around the Network

"What are you talking about? I didn't know it was third party's jobs to increase console sales. Since the 360 is able to sell more SW than the 360...why do HW numbers matter when it comes to the PS3 and 360?"

Anyone that makes games for a console is supposed to be able to help that console sell more games and consoles if the games are good enough. This year most of the 360's exclusives games haven't turned out to be as great as many people expected them to be. Ninja Gaiden II, Too Human, The Last Remnant none of them lived up to their expectations. The only ones so far that have come close were Tales of Vesperia (A Japanese developed game as you well know) and a few of the Live Arcade games.

Naturally these games that failed up to live up to the hype didn't help the 360 to continue to enjoy its dominance in this generation of consoles and both the Wii and PS3 have taken advantage of that fact to improve their standings (in the first case to pass the 360 even in the US and in the second to gain almost each and every week on the 360's lead worldwide). What is to account for this? The perceived strength of each system's software library. Why can the 360 only manage to sell 250 more consoles in Others than the PS3 when it costs so much less? Because it's game library over the last eight to nine months really hasn't been perceived to be as strong as it once was. Who is to blame for this fact? The developers of its games. And most of those developers have been Western developers.

I made an analysis of Japanese developers this generation. You can see the thread here: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=45223&start=0

There is one interesting fact and it's that 3rd party Japanese developed games have almost the same marketshares on the different consoles as those of the consoles.  There is a slight advantage towards the PS3. So, if they have the problem, it's not necessarily because they have not supported the Wii.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

well last year to this year, it has fell at an alarming rate, but i wonder why, maybe someone on this site from japan can give us a good explanation. Do you think it has something to do with the Japanese gaming market being saturated with the DS so they dont care to own another console or handheld.

And about the japanese developers falling back into obscurity. what do they expect what the japanese like and what the rest of the world like is very different indeed. scarily different to be honest but hey you are eva going to do well in japan an poor in the rest f the world or poor in the rest of the world and good in japan, unless you create complete different kind of games for each market.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Onyxmeth said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Ail said:

Maybe you enjoy the SNES so much but personally give me a SNES game and then gimme a PS3 game, I just can't go back to the old sprites...

Those 80+ million DS owners must be insane... still playing with their sprites and all.

AHHHH! Get those sprites out of my face!

(Phew) Now that's more like it. Can't go back to those old sprites.

I should report you for posting that 3D abomination. I didn`t expect it to get any worse after Castlevania 64.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

First quickly since Batman was mentioned. I recently got the whole Dark Knight Returns collection by Frank Miller. Fantastic read.

The videogame industry got itself into this issue when it pushed itself for bigger technology but didn't consider the after effects of the larger budget. Because most developers can't risk there game not making a profit something has to give.

Creativity. Lets be honest, there are a LOT of shooters on the market, third or first person. Also its become quite clear Microsoft and Sony starting eating each other for exclusives or trying to copy Nintendo alone the way.