By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So the PSP slim DOES have a longer battery life...kind of.

So there's been a lot of confusion regarding the PSP slim and its battery life. Some people say yes, it does have a longer battery, others say NO! Well, we can finally settle it.

It turns out that the smaller battery, the battery that comes with the PSP Slim, offers an embarrassing 3-6 hours of battery life. If you decide to use the old PSP battery, the one that you would have to buy separately or steal from your old PSP assuming you didn't sell it, gives you an acceptable 8-10 hours. But wait, there's another catch! If you do decide to use the larger older battery pack to get the longer battery life, you will have to deal with the battery sticking out the back. You know, that place where your hands generally go.

Linky linky

I was excited at first about the PSP slim redesign when it was first announced and was considering getting one, but this is just retarded. A hope for a longer battery life was the biggest thing I wanted for the redesign but I don't want the battery sticking out the back. Call me anal, whatever, I don't want something that's already not the most comfortable handheld even more uncomfortable.

Around the Network

bah, pressed the post button after pressing the edit button again >_>

<---i r teh stoopid 

LOL... so that's what the story is. To cut the size, they cut the size of the battery as well.

Pretty lame in my opinion. I think most people would rather a larger PSP, with more battery life instead.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

@ Shams, they cut the power usage of the psp, so it generally has the same amount of battery life if used on the slim psp, but if you use the original psp battery you have 12 hours instead of 6.

mM
leo-j said:
@ Shams, they cut the power usage of the psp, so it generally has the same amount of battery life if used on the slim psp, but if you use the original psp battery you have 12 hours instead of 6.

You have 8-10, not 12, and that 8-10 hours (just like the DS 15-19) is with everything set on the lowest setting.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
leo-j said:

You have 8-10, not 12, and that 8-10 hours (just like the DS 15-19) is with everything set on the lowest setting.

I really dont think the average psp life on the current psp is 5 hours, my psp last around 7 and a half hours with full lighting and volume.

mM

Oh Sony, what a tangled web we weave. Do they have to always tell half truths?

Yeah after both the load time reduction and battery time increase turned out to be BS I have no remaining interest in it. In fact, it seems almost more like a downgrade than an upgrade. It probably saves them money.

leo-j said:
twesterm said:
leo-j said:

I really dont think the average psp life on the current psp is 5 hours, at least my psp last around 7 and a half hours with full lighting and volume.

I somehow doubt that.  Why?

1. Everyone I know with a PSP says the 3-6 figure is about right.  Nobody says more (maybe a little more than 6 every now and then).
  2. If it did last 7 hours, Sony would say 7 hours.  They aren't going to lowball their figures on their lowest settings especially when they quote something as low as 3-6.  That really just is an embarrassing number.  I'm pretty sure even the Gamegear got that much.
  3. I'm guessing you just don't really keep track of time when you play your PSP for several, what, 30-45 minute sessions and just guess you have logged 7+ hours on a single charge when it was probably 3-4. 

twesterm said:
leo-j said:
twesterm said:
leo-j said:

I really dont think the average psp life on the current psp is 5 hours, at least my psp last around 7 and a half hours with full lighting and volume.

I somehow doubt that.  Why?

1. Everyone I know with a PSP says the 3-6 figure is about right.  Nobody says more (maybe a little more than 6 every now and then).
  2. If it did last 7 hours, Sony would say 7 hours.  They aren't going to lowball their figures on their lowest settings especially when they quote something as low as 3-6.  That really just is an embarrassing number.  I'm pretty sure even the Gamegear got that much.
  3. I'm guessing you just don't really keep track of time when you play your PSP for several, what, 30-45 minute sessions and just guess you have logged 7+ hours on a single charge when it was probably 3-4. 

Well, listening to music as well as playing games it lasts me 7.5 hours. But I put it on stanby while listening to music which tends to use less power.

mM