By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The console war is over. Its time to let it go.

redspear said:
disolitude said:
The wii sold most by appealing to the mass market. This is true...

Kind of how a toyota corolla and honda civic sell more than BMW and Mercedes. Yet those 2 car manufacturers get much more press and praise by majority of car enthusiasts.

Also Wii has mostly been neglected by 3rd party publishers...so maybe its a bitter-sweet victory for nintendo...and wii gamers in general.

I mean...Resident Evil 5, GTA4, Final Fantasy 13...all missing the Wii. Those are some industry leaders right there...

Disolitude,

All of those games were announced before the start of this gen and were well in to production when the Wii train really became apparant and we are still waiting for them except for GTA4. The dynamics over the next couple of years but the DS didn't have decent third party support until its 3rd year and it has taken a while for that to get a chance to mature. The Wii is also following a similiar path...except that it is happening faster this time around.

After those games are released what will hapen. Of course HD consoles will continue to see strong support this is partially thanks to the unique path Nintendo took. Trust me if the Wii was HD like the 360 or PS3 there support would dwindle to a lot less then what they will get.

If wii was HD? what if ps360 had motion controls?

also, it doesn't take 3 years to make a wii title. Capcom had a chance to make something for the wii that would rival resident evil 5 by now...and they are making a half assed port of dead rising. This was announced well after wii got the majority share. Im not saying that wii support wont pick up...but we are 2 years in here...and this christmas season there will be a huge drought of 3rd party wii software.

Not every developer wants to downgrade their games only to have to put motion controls to offer something unique. Especially not the elite developers by the looks of things...as no 3rd party developer has even bothered to put their best teams to make something Wii specific.

So while I fully aknowledge wii is the #1 selling console...untill the industry leading people start making games on it, it is not an industry leader.

Also, all this "innovation always wins" bullshit is just that... Sega innovated more than Nintendo and Sony combined in the 16, 32 bit and 128bit console generations...and look where they ended up. How about Virtual boy? 64DD? Those were innovative products...

Around the Network

i think if we didn't come on forums to argue.. most of us would have much emptier lives (yes it is possible), since clearly the games aren't entertaining enough for us to play them rather than argue about them

Haha, nice thread, lurker.

I do not subscribe to this mentality of a console war. Nintendo is hugely successful. Thats about it.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

I'm sorry, but when did this generation end?

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Around the Network

SDF will not rest until MS ceases to exist , the war is never over.

disolitude said:
redspear said:
disolitude said:
The wii sold most by appealing to the mass market. This is true...

Kind of how a toyota corolla and honda civic sell more than BMW and Mercedes. Yet those 2 car manufacturers get much more press and praise by majority of car enthusiasts.

Also Wii has mostly been neglected by 3rd party publishers...so maybe its a bitter-sweet victory for nintendo...and wii gamers in general.

I mean...Resident Evil 5, GTA4, Final Fantasy 13...all missing the Wii. Those are some industry leaders right there...

Disolitude,

All of those games were announced before the start of this gen and were well in to production when the Wii train really became apparant and we are still waiting for them except for GTA4. The dynamics over the next couple of years but the DS didn't have decent third party support until its 3rd year and it has taken a while for that to get a chance to mature. The Wii is also following a similiar path...except that it is happening faster this time around.

After those games are released what will hapen. Of course HD consoles will continue to see strong support this is partially thanks to the unique path Nintendo took. Trust me if the Wii was HD like the 360 or PS3 there support would dwindle to a lot less then what they will get.

also, it doesn't take 3 years to make a wii title. Capcom had a chance to make something for the wii that would rival resident evil 5 by now...and they are making a half assed port of dead rising. This was announced well after wii got the majority share. Im not saying that wii support wont pick up...but we are 2 years in here...and this christmas season there will be a huge drought of 3rd party wii software.

Not every developer wants to downgrade their games only to have to put motion controls to offer something unique. Especially not the elite developers by the looks of things...as no 3rd party developer has even bothered to put their best teams to make something Wii specific.

So while I fully aknowledge wii is the #1 selling console...untill the industry leading people start making games on it, it is not an industry leader.

Also, all this "innovation always wins" bullshit is just that... Sega innovated more than Nintendo and Sony combined in the 16, 32 bit and 128bit console generations...and look where they ended up. How about Virtual boy? 64DD? Those were innovative products...

The Biggest third partys are working on the Wii its just unlike Marvelous,Capcom, Sega there not putting in effort. Can you honestly say with a straight face they did as much work on the Wii as the 360 or PS3 version? 

Of course not.

Thats not Nintendo's fault, especially when the Wii is the easiest and less finacially demanding system to work for.  Theres a reason why Nintendo are absolutly dominating in sales because most third partys simply didn't step up to compete in development or advertisement, then suddenly act surprised when it doesnt sell as much.

finalsquall said:
I'm sorry, but when did this generation end?

When the numbers becames to high for the Xbox 360 or the Playstation 3 to sell that many units to catch up to the Wii. 

Even with a ten year plan.  If that ever stays on track.

The console war is never over! Nintendo won this battle, Sony won the last but the War never ends. There are only casulties I'm afraid

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

disolitude said:

Monster Hunter 3

vdoesntforgive said:
disolitude said:

Monster Hunter 3

Also Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles is the deepest and arguably the best light gun shooter ever made.

The Wii is the industry leader.

Why do you post this crap? 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger