By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How many would answer the call for a US draft?

If things get to that, a draft wouldn't be neccesary because the government would already be willing to sacrifice its image in the media so that means they would actually be willing to wage a war. as is right now they don't want to drop to many bombs because the media would bitch and moan about killing civilians and that kind of bs. There is an old saying, war is hell. They are trying to make it heck right now because of all the cameras. if my draft number was called, I would answer because I would rather serve with honor than rot in a jail cell for desertion.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
akuma587 said:
If America had actually been attacked by a country with a sizable army like China, then I might agree that a draft could be an option. But Iran? Come on. The only reason we WOULD need a draft to deal with Iran is because we have squandered our military resources in Iraq.

Vietnam is a tiny country with a weak army and yet the United States could not handle it without a draft ... Whether a draft is necessary or not would really depend on how many nations would use a war in Iran as a proxy to fight the United States.

If USA had actually been FIGHTING a war with Vietnam, there wouldn't BE a Vietnam. We were holding a line while Vietnam used whatever guerilla tactics they wanted.

Oh, and I wouldn't answer the draft, I'd enlist in airforce when I heard it was being instated. I liked how their setup sounded the best out of 4 standard groups (Army, Navy, Marines & Airforce)

Also yeah, nobody would ever reinstate the draft anyway. The only time you'd have issues with having enough people in the army is if you had a liberal in presidency, and if a liberal reinstated the draft it would be utter political suicide for them and possibly their entire party. A conservative would still get backlash from it, but it wouldn't get the same type of backlash unless you counted how the media would be screeching over it and making references to vietnam like they do for every war.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Supposing I would actually be drafted, no I wouldn't. There is no honor is killing and dying for things you do not believe in. This is mostly a moot point though as I would never be drafted for a few very good reasons.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

If Americans thought less about killing and geting into a war and more about the Financial sector there would be a lot less problems in the world.

konnichiwa said:
If Americans thought less about killing and geting into a war and more about the Financial sector there would be a lot less problems in the world.

Boy, i just love me sum killins, I better go hop into the military now, so I can go kill innocent civilians and rape women and children!

Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

Around the Network
Jackson50 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Sylvarantinc said:
Here in Belgium the liberal army union recently proposed reinforcing the draft here in belgium because "it creates friendships for life" lol.
I think it's a ridiculous concept so no sign up for me, being colorblind I would be pretty useless anyways

I'm actually a pretty big fan of "forced" military service (which is different from the draft) but I think claiming it is to create friendships for life is pretty silly ...

I am not and never will be a fan of "forced" service. I find it most disheartening that the people would be forced to serve the government. 

Why? Children are forced to learn how to read write and do math, why shouldn't we mandate learning the responsible use and care of firearms and a real understanding of how military operations are run? if that became the standard, there'd be no way for the government to force anyone to do something that the general public doesn't want

Grey Acumen said:
Jackson50 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Sylvarantinc said:
Here in Belgium the liberal army union recently proposed reinforcing the draft here in belgium because "it creates friendships for life" lol.
I think it's a ridiculous concept so no sign up for me, being colorblind I would be pretty useless anyways

I'm actually a pretty big fan of "forced" military service (which is different from the draft) but I think claiming it is to create friendships for life is pretty silly ...

I am not and never will be a fan of "forced" service. I find it most disheartening that the people would be forced to serve the government. 

Why? Children are forced to learn how to read write and do math, why shouldn't we mandate learning the responsible use and care of firearms and a real understanding of how military operations are run? if that became the standard, there'd be no way for the government to force anyone to do something that the general public doesn't want

Wow... just... WOW. Trust me, no matter how terained you are and no matter how many guns you have, if the government wanted to come into your house or to push you around there is absolutely nothing you'd be able to do about it. Having guns as protection against the government is the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

OT: No, I'll just go back to some country in the EU and enjoy my time there.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

draft wont happen dude, mccain isnt going to win, therefore no need for world war 3 - 15 all in our lifetime.

I would completely disagree with the cause and they wouldn't be able to make me say/think elsewise, but I would show up for duty.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

DogWeed said:
draft wont happen dude, mccain isnt going to win, therefore no need for world war 3 - 15 all in our lifetime.

I think you really need to reconsider your assumptions on what would make a world war likely ...