By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It seems Sony's changing their announcement strategy...

makingmusic476 said:
crumas2 said:
makingmusic476 said:
bonkers555 said:
Thats a very good way of doing it, instead of announcing games 2 to 3 years before it gets release.

I wish all companies would be a bit more like this. Nintendo's really the only one that does it consistently, and they only really started over the past year or so, with the sudden announcements of games like Mario Kart Wii and Animal Crossing Wii.

I can't really fault Sony for announcing/promoting some games far in advance of release during the first 18 months of the console. They really needed to build momentum and lure for the box until their library of games could mature. Now that their stable of games is looking really good and looks to get a lot better over the next 12 months, perhaps they don't feel the need to announce as early as before.

EDIT: forgot a point. The PS3 was really an unknown quantity, and the price was a bit much out of the gate. They have little to prove now... there are plenty of PS3 games released that showcase just how powerful the box is. And the reliability of the console compared to the 360 probably hasn't hurt their reputation a whole lot.

That is also a very important factor.

I remember when they kept throwing out random dates for Heavenly Sword and Lair back during the 2007 drought. "They'll be out in May! Make that July. Maybe August?"

Thank god Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted came out soon after Lair and Heavenly Sword.  Otherwise 2007 would have been a complete disaster.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
So this means... what now?

Basically, it just means that instead of Sony announcing a game coming out in 3 years, they're focusing on games that are actually within a year or so of being released.

Ahh, i see thats very smart since MS wants to get there hands on everything from Mii's to Tekken 6.

Also it keeps thnings interesting and people guessing i thought sony just lied, good to know there WILL be "More"epic titles that will be out sooner or later. (JRPG's/ARPG's/SRPG's and the like even though were getting a good handful from 2008-2009 its good to know of more.)

axumblade said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Basically, it just means that instead of Sony announcing a game coming out in 3 years, they're focusing on games that are actually within a year or so of being released.

And more imortantly, their 2009 line up is far from being fully revealed.

Tbh, 2009 is looking great thus far.  Things start off with a bang, too, unlike this past year where we had no big exclusives until MGS4 in June.

Killzone 2 (and it's great, you just have to play it ;) ) - February
White Knight Chronicles - Q1/2 (December for Japan)
InFamous - May
God of War III - Q3/4
Uncharted 2 - Q4 (probably October-ish)
Ratchet & Clank Future II - Q4 (also October-ish)

And then there's other stuff like Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls, MAG, etc.

makingmusic476 said:
axumblade said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Tbh, 2009 is looking great thus far. Things start off with a bang, too, unlike this past year where we had no big exclusives until MGS4 in June.

InFamous - May
God of War III - Q3/4
Uncharted 2 - Q4 (probably October-ish)
Ratchet & Clank Future II - Q4 (also October-ish)

Not to mention all the multiplatform titles like Resident Evil 5 in March.

makingmusic476 said:
axumblade said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Tbh, 2009 is looking great thus far.  Things start off with a bang, too, unlike this past year where we had no big exclusives until MGS4 in June.

InFamous - May
God of War III - Q3/4
Uncharted 2 - Q4 (November)
Ratchet & Clank Future II - Q4 (late October-ish)

But the biggest one, GT 5 should also be coming that year, as well as FF XIII as an exclusive in Japan, so it will be a very good year for PS3 owners!

2009 will be the year of the PS3!!!!

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:

But the biggest one, GT 5 should also be coming that year, as well as FF XIII as an exclusive in Japan, so it will be a very good year for PS3 owners!

I'm not saying this as a criticism, but why does the PS3 (or any console for that matter) have to have a "year of console X" to be successful?  I see the PS3's success as one in which it slowly builds up to a critical mass of machines (which it is doing nicely), and the game library maturing/filling out.  The *only* weakness I see right now in the library is the inexplicable lack of JRPGs, but I'm sure that will change as well over time.

I'm not waiting for the Year of the PS3 to roll around... I think the PS3's time came when it starting selling +100% year-on-year on a regular basis, and when titles like MSG4, COD4, etc. arrived for it.  One of these days someone is going to look around and notice that the PS3 is running full steam ahead, and they're going to say "hey, when did that happen?".

Just my two cents.

Soriku said:
Munkeh111 said:
makingmusic476 said:
axumblade said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

InFamous - May
God of War III - Q3/4
Uncharted 2 - Q4 (November)
Ratchet & Clank Future II - Q4 (late October-ish)

GT5 is coming in 2010. The dev confirmed it some months ago...

@Torillian

Nintendo have only announced their small games a little while before release. You won't see a game like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. announced a few weeks before release obviously.

It wasn't confirmed, but it likely won't make it out until 2010.

Also, I wouldn't call Mario Kart and ANimal Crossing small.

crumas2 said:
Munkeh111 said:

I'm not saying this as a criticism, but why does the PS3 (or any console for that matter) have to have a "year of console X" to be successful?  I see the PS3's success as one in which it slowly builds up to a critical mass of machines (which it is doing nicely), and the game library maturing/filling out.  The *only* weakness I see right now in the library is the inexplicable lack of JRPGs, but I'm sure that will change as well over time.

I'm not waiting for the Year of the PS3 to roll around... I think the PS3's time came when it starting selling +100% year-on-year on a regular basis, and when titles like MSG4, COD4, etc. arrived for it.  One of these days someone is going to look around and notice that the PS3 is running full steam ahead, and they're going to say "hey, when did that happen?".

Just my two cents.

Because everyone had labelled 2008 as the year of the PS3, so now that has to be shifted! (I am joking in case you haven't guessed)

Soriku said:
@making

Doesn't AC release like next month? Or is it in December. That's like 5-6 months in between release and announcement.

As for MK Wii...when was that announced?

I think E3 2007 alongside with Wii Fit

Wasn't Animal Crossing announced at E3 in July? And it's releasing in November. Mario Kart was first announced in August of last year.

Either way, even 5-6 months between announcement and release is a really short period of time.