By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Nazna's 360 Impressions

naznatips said:
mrstickball said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
naznatips said:
I really don't see how children are any worse as main characters than arrogant and thickheaded teenagers (most FF games and every Tales game).

Actually, the hero in ToV is in his mid 20's I believe, and he's a very adult character with several moral delimmas.

Agreed.

Yuri Lowell is one of the darkest, mean-est most sarcastic I-don't-care hero/leads in any game ever. He's like Sheppard from ME if Shep was on the Paragon side 70% of the time.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the "angsty, disturbed, hero" is over-used as hell ever since Cloud from FFVII.

@Tuanniez

I am on the first disc, but I already played the first 15 hours on a friend's console a while back, so I'm sorta cheating with previous knowledge on how much better the game gets as you go.

Oh but the ending. BD wasn't as bad as most thought, but the end of the game makes you want immediately get rid of it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

congrats. If you like rpgs you should get mass effect, simply an amazing game...

yo_john117 said:
congrats. If you like rpgs you should get mass effect, simply an amazing game...

Already reviewed the PC version.  People around here weren't too happy with my review.  I gave it a B.  It had a lot of issues in my opinion, but a lot of potential to improve with future entries in the franchise.

naznatips said:
mrstickball said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
naznatips said:
I really don't see how children are any worse as main characters than arrogant and thickheaded teenagers (most FF games and every Tales game).

Actually, the hero in ToV is in his mid 20's I believe, and he's a very adult character with several moral delimmas.

Agreed.

Yuri Lowell is one of the darkest, mean-est most sarcastic I-don't-care hero/leads in any game ever. He's like Sheppard from ME if Shep was on the Paragon side 70% of the time.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the "angsty, disturbed, hero" is over-used as hell ever since Cloud from FFVII.

It seems like there are less available types of heros that you won't criticize, than those that you will.

I'm sorry, I don't know of any jrpgs with a 65 year old purple eyed Turkish woman with freckles and a devout religious belief in santaria, as the main protagonist, but if I find one, I'll let you know.

In the mean time, if you don't feel like judging a game by the age and/or attitude of the protagonist, try ToV. It's better than FFIV, and any other Tales game(according to most reviewers, gamespot even spells that out) and has more character development than the entire Apollo Justice game times 2. You thought Lamroar was good, wait until you meet Karol.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

naznatips said:
yo_john117 said:

Already reviewed the PC version.  People around here weren't too happy with my review.  I gave it a B.  It had a lot of issues in my opinion, but a lot of potential to improve with future entries in the franchise.

I agree. Story was pretty good, but technical issues abounded, and I'll be damned if the landrover, lack of tutorials or direction of any sort, and repetitious fetch quests through multiple loading screens is good rpg gameplay. Sidemissions being in the same architecture, and repeats of themselves are also quite pathetic. The game has many strongpoints, however, and I enjoyed it.

I miss Fallout....and KoToR.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
naznatips said:
mrstickball said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
naznatips said:

Agreed.

It seems like there are less available types of heros that you won't criticize, than those that you will.

I'm sorry, I don't know of any jrpgs with a 65 year old purple eyed Turkish woman with freckles and a devout religious belief in santaria, as the main protagonist, but if I find one, I'll let you know.

In the mean time, if you don't feel like judging a game by the age and/or attitude of the protagonist, try ToV. It's better than FFIV, and any other Tales game(according to most reviewers, gamespot even spells that out) and has more character development than the entire Apollo Justice game times 2. You thought Lamroar was good, wait until you meet Karol.

It's hardly going to stop me from playing the game, I'm just pointing out that it's not an original hero type. I'd love to see an RPG branch outside the few possible lead characters one of these days... it hasn't happened yet, but someday I'm sure it will.

It's fairly easy to have more character development than the entire Apollo Justice games since there is only 1 Apollo Justice game, and the focus isn't on character development. The characters themselves however have far more character than any JRPG.  Comparing games with such style and humor as the Ace Attorney franchise to Tales is an injustice to Tales, as it will only be embarassed by the much more clever and unique franchise. 

If you want any sympathy for Tales of Vesperia, you are heading down the wrong path.  Compare it to other RPGs, which are generic anyway, and maybe the strong gameplay mechanics or a better constructed story will pull it above them.  Don't try to compare it to one of the few franchises in our industry that's actually fresh, interesting, and unique.  It's ridiculous to even suggest Tales, the walmart brand of RPGs, would compete in these areas.

While I agree with you that Tales games in general are pwnd by the writing and character development of the Ace Attorney games, this particular Tales isn't pwnd by the last Ace Attorney game, Apollo Justice. That might be setting the bar low, but for a jrpg, that's pretty huge. While it isn't actually better, as I asserted before, it is comparable. When you play it, you'll see. It won't be readily apparent, so wait until you've beaten it before you write your rant.

As for saying Tales is the walmart brand of rpgs, and generally flaming the franchise, it's obvious that you've developed incorrect preconceived notions about this, and many other games you've never played. I call it, "Judging a book by its cover" and it's no better than generalizing an entire genre based upon a couple of games you played in it. You realize that many internet smarts, as well spoken as you or I, flame the Ace Attorney series, using the same justifications.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

...When was the last time Cloud or any other steriotypical angsty hero goes on murdering sprees in-game?

Last I checked, Yuri was the only one that did. Vesperia deals with a far broader, more deep range of topics than any Final Fantasy I ever played. Yuri is about as evil as you could get for a hero in a JRPG.

But again, maybe Naznatips can remind me which Final Fantasy hero murders people.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
...When was the last time Cloud or any other steriotypical angsty hero goes on murdering sprees in-game?

Last I checked, Yuri was the only one that did. Vesperia deals with a far broader, more deep range of topics than any Final Fantasy I ever played. Yuri is about as evil as you could get for a hero in a JRPG.

But again, maybe Naznatips can remind me which Final Fantasy hero murders people.

Oh, come on. You know the meaning behind the kills was not a evil intent, but for wish that world will be better.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
mrstickball said:

Oh, come on. You know the meaning behind the kills was not a evil intent, but for wish that world will be better.

Mild ToV character development spoilers.

The point is, that in most games, when the steriotypical protagonist has the bad guy in a helpless situation, and the bad guy is begging for his life to be spared, the protagonist doesn't kill him in cold blood while he's begging for his life. Usually the bad guy pulls a gun or something, allowing the main character to kill him in "self defense."

Not in this game. Not only that, the game is knowledgable on this subject, and actualy uses it as a main theme of the game. It's not as critical as I'd like it to be, but for a jrpg to even explore these kinds of ethical decisions is a good thing.

NO NO, NO NO NO.