By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Netflix, Hulu, CBS, YouTube and more on both PS3 and 360 today!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/01/playon-media-server-streams-netflix-to-ps3-xbox-360-today/

Yes, you can today watch all kinds of internet video on your PS3 or 360 today with a new program called PlayOn.  It works great and is very easy to use.  As a bonus it does NOT require you pay for Live (it works with the media streaming feature) and includes all the TV shows from the major networks (CBS has its own streaming, Fox and NBC are both on Hulu along with FX, SciFi and others) so it really eliminates the need for cable more or less.  

It has turned the PS3 into an even better media machine.  Yesturday I streamed a bunch of downloaded Divx TV shows to my PS3 and then watched the Daily Show from Hulu again on my PS3.  Between Blu Ray, being able to use just about any codec and now streaming all kinds of media the PS3 has become the only media device anyone needs.  

Oh and you can stream netflix using Play On too.  Kind of makes that new Xbox experience a non event now since that was the only really interesting feature it introduced.

The one downside, after a 60 day trial the software is 30 bucks, but at the same time thats just a few months of Live and remains a pretty good deal to me.

For all you Wii fans, they say they are trying to make it work with the Wii right now.  Quite possibly the Wii could get some streaming media capability.

http://www.themediamall.com/playon is the site if you're interested in the trial.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

Nice find .you have immunity to the SDF hitmen for the next 48 Hours , use the time wisely :).

Hulu pisses me off to no end. Do Americans pay some kind of internet-video-watching tax? I don't know why else I can't watch things there for free like Americans can.

I don't have my PS3 at where I am now, but couldn't you basically visit Netflix from your PS3 browser anyway? I sure can with Mandriva instaleed as I tried before.

Anyway, nice find.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

You know how many people outside our us are going to know about this? None... unless CBS or NBC or someone airs this on The Morning Show or whatever this will be something gamers and tech heads know about and that's about it.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
SeriousWB said:
Hulu pisses me off to no end. Do Americans pay some kind of internet-video-watching tax? I don't know why else I can't watch things there for free like Americans can.

It's the same as the US not being able to watch british BBCi player, or 4oD etc etc.

They sell the rights to air abroad, and those rights are worth more if the people living there can't just stream it weeks before it gets aired from another country.

I didn't know Hulu was a television broadcasting network, or is it? BBCi shows BBC programs, as 4oD shows Channel 4 programs.

Hulu shows Family Guy for example, which is broadcast by Fox right?

Okay, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is that $30 monthly or one-off?
2. Would this work in Canada?
3. Do these streaming things allow you to pick specific episodes of TV shows to watch?
4. Where can I buy one?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

looks like netflix has now come 2 ps3 after all

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Hulu broadcasts all the stuff NBC and Fox make (plus universal/fox subsidiaries, for example Fox makes FX and Universal puts out SciFi).

It is not a channel, it is on demand. If you pick Bones, for instance, you can watch any of the episodes in the most recent season plus a few from past seasons. You can watch older programs too, for instance a few seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the A team and others are choices.

Basically you pick Hulu or CBS or whatever, then you pick a show, then you pick an episode (it has picture previews for each show) and then it plays on the TV. So if I want to watch Numb3rs on CBS I just pick an episode and it starts from the begining of it.

As to cost Hulu and others are free because they use very limited ads. Basically it plays one commercial that is usually 15 seconds where the normal on TV program would have 6 or 7 commercials. Probably around 5 15-30 second commercials in a hour long show.

To the cost of the program, it is a one time 30 dollar fee if you want to keep it. The 30-60 day trial is free. It is still in beta so it isn't perfect (some youtube videos don't work for me, for instance) but it DOES work and will only get better. Between this and the ability to play DIVX over my network the PS3 has become more or less the only media device I need. It's like a blu ray player, a media server, an apple TV (you can download/play movies and TV shows legally from the PSN store) and a game console all in one.

Pretty great overall :D.

All the above applies to the 360 as well, except the interface isn't as good. By that I mean the 360 uses certain kind of strange protocols for example it alphabatizes EVERYTHING no matter what and so the lists are a bit weird among other things. It still works though, I've tried it on both PS3 and 360. It just works a bit better on the PS3.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

This seems like such a waste when for $30 a month someone could pay for like 6 on-demand channels that would likely offer you more content through your cable or satellite provider.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.