By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which mattered/matters most to Sony???

I believe they very much like the word, "money."

Profit, would be my answer.

Around the Network

Both PS3 and Blu-ray were equally improtant to Sony. If not for PS3 Blu-ray would have failed. If not for Blu-ray PS3 would have failed. Sony banked the stability of the company on both of these products, and if one of them failed the other was going down the tube, and the Sony empire would be right behind them both. Had Sony left the PS3 woithout a Blu-ray player, the product would mean nothing to them. Ken Kuteragi had already priced the system out of reach without the addition of Blu-ray. Had Sony launched the PS3 with DVD it would have still seen a $599 price tag at launch with a 50 to 100 dollar lose per console, instead of 260 to 310. In this outcome they would have had to go after the Blu-ray market the same way Toshiba was going after the HD-DVD market.

If Sony had Blu-ray and PS3 seperate, they would have been facing HD-DVD as Sony only. They would have had to sell PS3 and Blu-ray players at massive losses. PS3 would have hit profitability a little bit quicker, but even if they won the HD format war, Blu-ray would have been a money sink for years to come. They would never be able to sell players at some rediculous price like $179 at 400 - 500 dollar losses, and then when Toshiba drops out they can not bump prices to $499 - 599.

Had the PS3 been Blu-rayless we could pretty much forget about making the fans happy. Say they did make the PS3 $399 at launch. PS3 sells better than the Wii and 360, and all the exclusive games never go Multiplatform. Sony does not give a crap about the PS3, it sells fine, and the future has no worries. Forget about Playstation Blog, Forget about In Game XMB, Forget about Home, Forget the Playstation Store, Forget the Video Download service. NON of the great things about PS3 would have become a reality. PSN would have been a service for Blu-ray players only, and would have featured movies and music only. Sony would have never given people custom soundtracks, and the same we will one day have this awsome thing, but it never comes mentality would be there.

So please get off the Sony tried to screw Playstation fans and shove Blu-ray and a high price down their thoats. I stated above the great reality it would be today had they not went the way they did. Sure everyone would be happy, the PS3 could be at $299 by now, and all the games that are now on 360 would have never made it there. That sounds fun and all, but knowing how it has turned out, if I got sucked back in time and that happened, I would never buy a PS3. I would neverget an HDTV, and I just go pick up a Slim PS2, and see what happens in the next generation.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I believe the same of you, at the beginning of the war, Sony wanted to take advantage of their fan base and wanted to kill 2 birds with one shot, they thought that they could have a succesful console and to make a succesful Blu-Ray putting high prices. Now they are conscious of their mistakes in the gaming division and they are trying to make it up.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

I think Sony's decision to include blu-ray was largely due to them wanting to continue the strategy/tradition they've used in the past, by introducing a new larger format to replace the old with each new console - It worked well for them in the past. People shovel the trojan horse idea around way too much I think, and I really believe it wasn't their main motivating factor here.

I don't think that anyone can argue that CD format was a major advantage when the PS1 entered the industry against Nintendo64. And DVD may have had a larger role than most of us realize in keeping PS2 games from going multi-platform to the cheaper gamecube last generation. (for example gamecube didn't get a GTA game)

That's great that you think that. Personally, I'm a little glad that they did this.

I spent $500 on my XBox360 with a 20 GB HDD and a wifi adapter. I could play DVDs on it but the DVD drive was about a million dB too loud. I also had to check to make sure any original XBox games I bought were compatible before buying them.

I paid $500 for my PS3 with a 60 GB HDD, built in wifi, built in card adapters, and it plays Blurays. It also does a great job upscaling DVDs. It's also pretty quiet for movies. It also plays every PS2 game I've bought flawlessly. No need to check for compatibility. And Bluray movies are fabulous. Ratatouille made me a believer in Bluray (that, and the terrible job WB did with The Departed's DVD transfer).

So you tell me. Is Sony trying to screw me over? Obviously things have changed a little now (XBox360 price drops, Sony taking out backwards compatibility), but I think I got an awesome deal.

Around the Network
Lumbo said:
Funny, the same pointless questions came up with the PS2

"DVD is not needed, compression will be enough who cares about one or two 2 CD games"

*yawn*

Sony wanted to offer the most advanced tech with the Ps3. All the usual bashing "BluRay is not needed, its just for the movies, Sony is rippoff" stuff completly ignores the fact that if console companies would think like i.e. kowenicki we would still only have 16kb cartridges for the games, hey, compression and maybe multiple cartridges, sure. I understand that certain circles that are stuck with the same tech as last gen again hate progress, but all other Companies did UPGRADE their storage.

Nintendo went from mini-dvd in the gamecube at 1.5 GB max to DVD at 9 GB max
Sony went from DVD 9 GB max to BluRay at 50 GB max
Microsoft went from DVD 9 GB max to DVD 7.5 GB max (Xbox 360 uses part of the dvd space for the already hacked encryption)

Either the developers evolve, or they loose the touch and go under.
Sony did clearly NOT want to add the same Disk format they had on the PS2, as already the multidisk titles for the PS2 where getting more and more. Hardly any RPG with just one disk. Their solution was the inclusion of BluRay as the main format to move storage space to brighter pastures again, as with the PS1, as with the PS2.

Due to manufacturing issues the BluRay pickup was more expensive then the original plans accounted for, resulting in a delay that cost Sony dearly even today, as the competition fired off nearly a year ahead. Though that system was plagued by shabby manufacturing due to the rushing. Even in the release year Sony had to delay the EU launch from the planned day and date worldwide release.

The BluRay inclusion was a smart move that will serve gamers cause it offers developers all the space they need for their games without limiting lets say open world games to only one old DVD. Also it enabled customers of the gameconsole, like with the PS2, to experience the most up to date movie format without the need for another player.

Naturally Sony did not do all that cause they are so generous, but because they saw it as PERFECT business plan. You get the most advanced format into the system from all the systems on the market, you can promote your own movie format against the monopolistic HD-DVD Toshiba system, you can cross finance your console costs by movie licenses and ensure a healthy installbase for BluRay.

It was a clear win-win situation. The console market plans where shaken up by Nintendos old-tech, but fresh appeal Wii, selling like crazy due to a well planed marketing campaign and universal appeal for all ages.

Looking back the PS2 BC was MORE costly to Sony than the BluRay drive. Cause contrary to the PS2-chip, the BluRay pickup dropped from ~ $100 per piece to $6 a piece in less than 6 month after the release. It seems logical that Sony calculated with that prize instead the high first batch prize, but hindsight is always perfect.

In my opinion BluRay was the right decision for Sony and for the gamers. More space offers chances for more content. And allows gamers to experience the HD movies available now. I watch BluRay movies regularly, but the last time i put a PS2 game in my launch PS3 is more than a year ago, so in retrospective i guess the BluRay drive was the better decision than the BC, and the less expensive one, too.

Hate to tell you this but,DVD offers HUGE improvements over CD,How ever Blue Ray does not offer big improvememts over DVD!

How?

Sure it has cool HD  but its only effective if you have a huge 30 inch HD TV,infact a upscaled DVD and blue ray look the same,Therefore Blueray is not very effective nor do many people want it,I guarantee you if Blue Ray was not built into the PS3 that HD-DVD would of won the format war.

Garnett said:

Hate to tell you this but,DVD offers HUGE improvements over CD,How ever Blue Ray does not offer big improvememts over DVD!

How?

Sure it has cool HD but its only effective if you have a huge 30 inch HD TV,infact a upscaled DVD and blue ray look the same,Therefore Blueray is not very effective nor do many people want it,I guarantee you if Blue Ray was not built into the PS3 that HD-DVD would of won the format war.

Did you mean to say VHS instead of CD?  And why did you say this in response to his post when his post clearly deals specifically with storage space, and not on movie quality?

kowenicki said:

Blu-Ray or PS3?

I ask this because it seems more and more apparent that the success of Blu-Ray was at the obvious expense of the PS3.  Blu-Ray meant that the launch price of the PS3 was just too high for the vast majority, surely Sony knew this would be the case.

Sony seems to have banked on brand loyalty to promote a new standard, believing that its 'fans' would pay the price whatever it was.  Or perhaps they knew it was too expensive but that it would shift enough to win the Hi-Def battle with HD-DVD?  In other words Sony 'used' its supporters to feather its nest.

I am beginning to believe that Blu-Ray meant, and means, much much more to Sony than the PS3... 

Blu ray movie sales, DVD library upgrades to Blu-Ray, Blu ray players, HDTV's, Blu ray adoption in PC/Laptop   v   PS3

Was the PS3 the Blu-Ray patsy?  I think so.

I think it was a good idea :\

Check out my game about moles ^