By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Recommend me movies to watch from 2008

After the two movie topics i've been having an itch for some good movie watching. Recommend me anything quality from 2008. If it's foreign it can be from 2007 or 2006 since a lot of that takes a good long while to be localized to America. I like movies of all types, from the indiest indy to the biggest blockbusters. Feature length only for now though. No short films. The country doesn't matter because I'm open to any kind of cinema and have no problem with reading subs. I even put them on in an english language film.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

Dark Knight and Iron Man were pretty good. Hellboy 2 was pretty much exactly what you would expect from the movie. Futurama: The Beast With a Billion Backs was pretty funny, but not as good as Bender's Big Score. I might have more later but thats what I remember off the top of my head

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

WALL-E

Also the new Futurama movie is coming out this holiday season!

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Traitor and Burn After Reading if you are into highbrow stuff. Both were very quality films.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

This year so far.... I've seen:

Walk Hard: loved it.
WALL-E: loved it.
The Dark Knight: loved it.
Wanted: hated it.
The new X-Files movie: liked it.
Burn After Reading: loved it.

I think that's it for new movies in the theaters this year so far. I could list maybe 80 DVDs I've watched, 50 short films I've seen at school, and 30 feature films I've seen at school, but they'd all be spanning the 1890s to the 1990s.

I'm gonna totally use this thread for myself too.

Anybody seen Religulous yet? I think I'm gonna go this weekend if I have time.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
This year so far.... I've seen:

Walk Hard: loved it.
WALL-E: loved it.
The Dark Knight: loved it.
Wanted: hated it.
The new X-Files movie: liked it.
Burn After Reading: loved it.

I think that's it for new movies in the theaters this year so far. I could list maybe 80 DVDs I've watched, 50 short films I've seen at school, and 30 feature films I've seen at school, but they'd all be spanning the 1890s to the 1990s.

I'm gonna totally use this thread for myself too.

Anybody seen Religulous yet? I think I'm gonna go this weekend if I have time.

Christ. Here I thought you would be a beacon of hope for some good indy stuff. Well at least give me five or so that are the most recent from what you've seen.

To update a bit, I just saw The Dark Knight so no need for more recommendations for that movie. I have DLs going for Tell No One, 4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days and Happy-Go-Lucky. Has anyone seen Gus Van Sant's Paranoid Park?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Wanted - Great

Dark Knight - Good movie, but not my thing

Rightous Kill - Never got to see it, but looked great

Bangkok Dangerous - Good Movie

Iron Man - Awesome

Wall-E - Looks gay and i never watched it. But it got good reviews

Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - It was good, except for the lame ending

Kung Fu Panda - Never saw it, heard it was okay

In Bruges
Choke (in theatres)
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Pineapple Express

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was pretty good from what I saw (only saw the last 30 minutes).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread, cause i have an enormous back-log of 70s-80s cinema which i have to go through before considering the current fare.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach