By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What are Microsoft doing to Halo?

Kantor said:
selnor said:
@OP Bungie have and are making all except Halo Wars and the PEter Jackson one.

I guess considering what your post says you think the same about Half Life.

That has spanned 4 games for Half Life 1 and 4 for Half Life 2 (not including multiplayer games.

Halo has been around 8 years and only 3 games that to me is very impressive, not milking at all. By 2010 we will have 6 games. OOOOHHHHH milking it over a 10 year period. Ok.

All of those have been in the same genre.

Also at the person, who mentioned Mario, THANK YOU for getting what I've been trying to imply here.

I'm glad you noted the very point I was trying to make. Halo is being diversified. Wheras Blue Shift for instance was absolutely boring.

Around the Network

Wow is this blown out of proportion. There's been three games in about eight years, which is remarkable given how successful the series has been. Now there is an additional three games planned, a RTS game (which is a fairly reasonable and logical addition to the main series), an expansion and a game we know nothing about. This hardly looks desperate, nor is it a case of unnecessary milking of a franchise. It appears at this point in time that the people in charge of making decisions regarding the future of this franchise are being very careful.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

It hasn't been whored out like mario yet...very soon lol

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

A very inaccurate post.

First of all, Bungie is developing Halo 3: Recon and is a major part of the development for Halo Wars and the next Halo project. Its all over the media so I dont need to post any links, it just shows how much research you actually do.

Secondly, Halo had 3 games over 7 years. If this is whoring, then what do you call Guitar Hero/Call of Duty. Heck even my favourite game this gen Rock Band already has a sequel with the same assets after 1 year. I think it should be applauded that MS is exploring other genres and extending the Halo universe rather than whoring an FPS every year. Furthermore, Halo 3: Recon is not going to be the same, its going to have different elements to the original Halo 3 formula.

Nintendo/Mario= Milked
Sega/Sonic the hedgehog= Milked
Capcom/Resident evil= Milked
Bungie/Microsoft/Halo= Gonna be milked

Halo is a multi million franchise, Who wouldn't cash in?

Around the Network

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Ronster316 said:
Nintendo/Mario= Milked

Not so much Resident Evil, but definitely the other two.

It'd be a shame for such a good series to become another Mario. Some people will go out and buy a game at the sight of Mario, others will cringe. I am one of the latter.

Mario shows Nintendo's desperation as much as Halo is beginning (only beginning) to show Microsoft's.

Yes, I am aware that Nintendo has other franchises. Are any of them as popular/milked/famous as Mario? Not counting bundled with all console games (Wii Sports and Play), doesn't Mario feature in six of the top ten selling Wii games and four of the top five? Is any other game franchise in the world as famous as Mario?

I really hope Halo does not become like this. It would be such a waste of an excellent series.

Hopefully they'll stop at three games a year.

EDIT: I should emphasise that I see nothing wrong with Halo 1-3. They were nice and spaced out, and a lot of effort was put into them. Even one game a year is fine. Maybe even two can be acceptable if they are spaced out. Three is getting closer to Mario.

And even if Halo: Chronicles would be in 2010, why announce it now? Why do people need to know two years before it is released? What would you think if Konami suddenly announced an expansion to MGS4, an MGS RTS and an MGS FPS, all under development at the same time? Now imagine that Kojima is (somehow) making the expansion, Insomniac the RTS and Naughty Dog the FPS. Wouldn't you find that odd?

Halo.... has changed.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Ronster316 said:
Nintendo/Mario= Milked

Not so much Resident Evil, but definitely the other two.

It'd be a shame for such a good series to become another Mario. Some people will go out and buy a game at the sight of Mario, others will cringe. I am one of the latter.

Mario shows Nintendo's desperation as much as Halo is beginning (only beginning) to show Microsoft's.

Yes, I am aware that Nintendo has other franchises. Are any of them as popular/milked/famous as Mario? Not counting bundled with all console games (Wii Sports and Play), doesn't Mario feature in six of the top ten selling Wii games and four of the top five? Is any other game franchise in the world as famous as Mario?

I really hope Halo does not become like this. It would be such a waste of an excellent series.

Hopefully they'll stop at three games a year.

EDIT: I should emphasise that I see nothing wrong with Halo 1-3. They were nice and spaced out, and a lot of effort was put into them. Even one game a year is fine. Maybe even two can be acceptable if they are spaced out. Three is getting closer to Mario.

And even if Halo: Chronicles would be in 2010, why announce it now? Why do people need to know two years before it is released? What would you think if Konami suddenly announced an expansion to MGS4, an MGS RTS and an MGS FPS, all under development at the same time? Now imagine that Kojima is (somehow) making the expansion, Insomniac the RTS and Naughty Dog the FPS? Wouldn't you find that odd?

Resident evil 0 (Gamecube)

Resident evil 1 (Sega saturn, PS1)

Resident evil 1 remake (Gamecube)

Resident evil 2 (PS2,Gamecube, Dreamcast,N64)

Resident evil 3 (PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast)

Resident evil 4 (Gamecube, PS2)

Resident evil 4 wii edition

Resident evil code veronica (Dreamcast,PS2 Gamecube)

Resident evil gaiden (Gameboy Colour)

Resident evil gun survivor (ps1)

Resident evil gun survivor 2 (Ps2)

Resident evil: Dead aim (Ps2)

Resident evil outbreak (Ps2)

Resident evil outbreak: file 2 (Ps2)

Resident evil:Deadly silence (Nintendo DS)

Resident evil: The missions (Mobile/Cell phone)

Resident evil: Confidential report (Mobile Cell phones)

3 movies and a 4th to be released

Comic books

Hardback books

Animated movies

Sure, It's less milking than Mario and Sonic yes............... But theres a whole lot of milk here lol

Halos only taking its first baby steps in terms of milking a franchise (But it will be milked, Oh yes)

I agree though, Sometimes overexposing a game can backfire, I hope after this burst of new halo games they shelve halo for a couple of years and let everyone get thier breath back...................

Its amazing that some people actually have the balls to say " these games will be great!" when they are not even released. Someone else saying that one of the games is an expansion to one of the best games Bungie have ever made, when as of becoming Bungie Studios they have made three games. Halo three being Universally excepted as the worst of the three. Maybe they will all be great maybe not but please try and reserve judgement until you have at least touched these games.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

IMO, they were already trying to milk the Halo series for everything it had after the first Halo. They just threw in a few new weapons and maps and said "hey, here is a new game." MILKKKKK.