By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which games will actually benefit from the holidays?

On the walls of several games, it is often posted how such and such game will do well with a holiday boost. Which makes me skeptical as to how many games will people actually have on their minds when they want to buy something during the holidays.

What we are guaranteed to have get boosts during the holidays: FIRST-PARTY games

Name whichever 3rd party/non-blockbuster you want, but who knows if it will actually get that holiday boost you hope it does.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
SaviorX said:

What we are guaranteed to have get boosts during the holidays: Nintendo games

Name whichever 3rd party/non-blockbuster you want, but who knows if it will actually get that holiday boost you hope it does.

Fixed

On Topic:

de Blob, Samba de Amigo and ToS: DotNW

MANUELF said:
SaviorX said:

What we are guaranteed to have get boosts during the holidays: Nintendo games

Fixed

On Topic:

de Blob, Samba de Amigo and ToS: DotNW

That was my first thought, but y'know, gotta be fair here.......

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Although I do think that the bad economy will translate into reduced sales for all games.

Economy will have little affect on games sales. Look at the great depression, it is considered by many as the beginning of the golden age of hollywood which climaxed in 1939 with Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz, amoung many classics.

OT-

I think the Wii will be helped by the holidays the most. Nintendo has been stockpiling TONS of Wiis and cmas is when the casuals attack in hordes.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

There weren't many entertainment options during the depression. Contrast that to today where we have internet and tv which are essentially free. So I think that line of reasoning is somewhat flawed.

People will still buy games. But instead of buying a console and 3 games, a consumer might just buy a console and one game. Anyone who was planning on buying 3 games might only buy 2 games now.

Also, consumers will be more willing to wait for discounts and used games. There are a ton of used games on the shelves for cheap. I think there is enough old content available at significant discount that it will impact new sales in a bad economic environment.

Mario & Sonic, Boom Blox, and a number of those cheap party games like Deca Sports or Game Party.

Boost sales of a console? Or just recieve a boost anyway?

Veggie said:
Mario & Sonic, Boom Blox, and a number of those cheap party games like Deca Sports or Game Party.

Yep.

Games that will get a holiday boost: GTA4, Madden, Rock Band, maybe MGS4. Most casual games. (Lego, etc) Older "greatest hits" games.