By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dow index no longer over 9000;GM shares at 58-year low;WSJ:recession's here

MrBubbles said:
FishyJoe said:
I wouldn't touch GM with a ten foot pole. The Volt is over 3 years away and they still don't have the battery worked out yet. Nobody is going to buy their cars in the next year or two. They are up to their ears in debt. How do you think they are going to pay bills if they can't get any more loans and nobody is buying their product???

i thought the USGov was going to give the vehicle manufacturers a $25b "loan" ?

GM lost $38 billion in 2007. They lost $15 billion in the last quarter alone.

Around the Network
bigjon said:
I would say if GM is healthy 6 months from now... INVEST in them. They seem to get it. The Volt will be huge, I like the direction they are heading. I do not see a depression coming. I see a major inflationary period ahead, tight credit, and higher job loss. No Depression the fundementals of the US economy are too strong, even Obama becoming president would not lead us to a depression.

I having been analyizing the economic leaders, and they seem good. Most of the doom in gloom you see politicalization of the crisis for gain. Yes, it is bad, but the politicians are making it seem worse than it is.

Tight credit. You hit the nail on the head. The dow is bad but this is worse. This is what will lead to unemployment. What leaders are strong? People won't be able to pay their workers, banks are hoarding money, and GM and Ford sure as hell won't be able to weather this if it keeps getting worse.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

FishyJoe said:
MrBubbles said:
FishyJoe said:
I wouldn't touch GM with a ten foot pole. The Volt is over 3 years away and they still don't have the battery worked out yet. Nobody is going to buy their cars in the next year or two. They are up to their ears in debt. How do you think they are going to pay bills if they can't get any more loans and nobody is buying their product???

i thought the USGov was going to give the vehicle manufacturers a $25b "loan" ?

GM lost $38 billion in 2007. They lost $15 billion in the last quarter alone.

I could be wrong but I suspect that a lot of (bad) things will be done by the government after the election in an effort to "Bail Out" the American automobile manufacturers; what I would expect is some funding for unfunded liabilities that these companies hold (Healthcare, Pensions), funding to free up financing for new cars, and "investment" into green cars. All in all, I wouldn't be (that) surprised  to see the US government give these companies $250+ Billion ...

American car companies wasted their time . Not even the japanese, who actually bothered with hybrids, are surviving this so why would you expect the suv manu. to recover.

I believe economists when they say it won't bottom out till it hits 7000, that won't be for a few months (maybe weeks now) and growth is going to be snails pace for another 5 years. There is no rush to reinvest.

Plus side of all this is that even with the Kyoto protocal signed by all countries, and most likely ignored, a recession is ultimately better for the environment. There will be less emissions.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Oh yeah, japan is wholly reliant on US car sales. That would be why

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

WHAT!?!?! A POWER LEVEL OF UNDER 9000!?!?!

akuma587 said:
bigjon said:
I would say if GM is healthy 6 months from now... INVEST in them. They seem to get it. The Volt will be huge, I like the direction they are heading. I do not see a depression coming. I see a major inflationary period ahead, tight credit, and higher job loss. No Depression the fundementals of the US economy are too strong, even Obama becoming president would not lead us to a depression.

I having been analyizing the economic leaders, and they seem good. Most of the doom in gloom you see politicalization of the crisis for gain. Yes, it is bad, but the politicians are making it seem worse than it is.

Seriously bigjon, wake up.  The economy is way beyond people "politicizing" it to be a crisis for gain.  And it looks like you copy and pasted some of what you said straight out of things McCain has said before (bolded parts).  Are we all just "a bunch of whiners" too?  In a "mental recession"?

Here is the YTD chart of the DOW.  You see that part at the end there?  That is the last month.  There is about a 3000 point drop in 1 MONTH.  You can't really spin that to be something minor.

I said people are FREAKED! The Markets are driven by 2 emotions, fear and greed. Right now fear is thriving. Buck up, it is not the end of the world, there will be no great depression 2. It might be a really bad recession, but there is a difference. Recessions are part of the Business cycle, Depressions are not. Right now the dow if free falling because people are selling stock just to get rid of it... these are the same dumasses who will hide it in their matresses. Like I said I am only worried about inflation. If you are worried about inflation diversify. Get some commodies to even out your portfolio. So if it is dooms day you will still have something.

Let me remind you, that the selloff we have seen the last 7 days or so (combined) is less than the 1 day selloff in 1987 (that was like 24%). The bleeding will stop, there as just ass loads of undervalued stock waiting to be swooped. I named GM as one of them, Bank of America is a steal right now, they purchased a crap load of bad debt from Merril (which someday they will actually profit off of) and they obviously are in trouble if they can go out and spend billions to buy Merril. they are getting dragged down with the entire finance industry, and they appear to be OK, same with CITIGroup.

This is being politicized, no one wants to come out and say that things aren't as bad as people are fearing... Obama knows it will help him, and McCain knows people are freaking out, and people will think he is a retarded old goon if he tries to act like it is not as bad as people have already percieved. Bush is just listening to his advisors, I think he is kinda lost right now.

I am not saying this is not a mess, I am saying that things will be OK. Just diversify, some companies will go under and you don't want all your eggs in 1 basket. We will get throw this, and the people who decided to put their money in the market when it bottoms out (could be another 25% down or so) are going to get flithy rich. And it won't be average joe investor... it will be the Warren Buffets who always seem to being far ahead of the curve.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Warren Buffet just bought stock in GS and GE. It hasn't worked

Lingyis said:
bigjon said:

wow, how much faster can one lose his credibility!

of course, you did say "if" GM is healthy 6 months from now.  well, i can also say that if the economy is fine 6 months from now, you can pretty much invest in anything and make money.

you think politicians are making it seem worse?  i actually think they're underestimated how bad it is.  especially two weeks ago when they couldn't even pass that stupid bill.

When I said "healthy" I meant, not bankrupt. There stock should still fall from here, and like I said there future looks bright... They just need to survive this crisis. Yea losing my cred.... right. And what do you know about Economics and Finance to say that? (you might be Bernake, so i am just checking) Akuma studies law and is very intelligent, I think Fishyjoes is in Finance (Am I wrong?) Again by healthy I did not mean that they are turning exxon like profits... I just meant that there heads are above water and are continueing to show signs of improving.

The Volt? I thought I read 2010 for that? Maybe a wide release is 3 years away. And it is not just the Volt. They are showing signs that they just "get" it.

Shit, economic leaders.  Well, one for example is I heard today that IBM is going to meet their earnings targets. Many retailers are doing fine. This could change as many of the businesses I mentioned will not be hit by the tight credit right away, and as hard.

Remember, Many companies do use a line of credit to pay salaries and such, but many use cash assets. Nintendo is a good example. What do they have a 8 billion dollar chest of money now? They had like 6 billion during the dark years of the GC.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

well, on the upside gas prices are diving as fast as the market is.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan