By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Record-breaking Iron Man Blu-ray sells 500K+ units in first week

http://www.n4g.com/tech/News-212332.aspx

Every time i hear a "blu-ray death" thread it makes me laugh. Face it the format is going up and all studios are behind it.

OT: Good for Ironman i own it, love it, now I cant wait for the hoilday blockbusters to come out in HD!!!

Around the Network

Blu-ray adoption could be faster, but it's certainly not dying. 500,000 times $30 per movie equals $15 million in sales in just a week. Not insignificant.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Well if you look it it the movies are very close in price.... DVDs are almost as much as the blu-ray......

But i bought mine for 25 bucks.....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=iron+man+dvd&x=11&y=12

LOL the DVD collectors is a dollar less!!!!

Blu-ray movie prices are not that much money.. what we should be bitching about is HD games prices... 59.99 USD is a lot.....

Shows that awareness about blu ray has increased significantly. Helps that there are over 15 million blu ray capable ps3's around the world :)

Around the Network
Dno said:
Blu-ray movie prices are not that much money.. what we should be bitching about is HD games prices... 59.99 USD is a lot.....

We paid like more ten years ago for N64 games? In a time where it cost more money to make a game and offer a lot more you want that they cost cheaper?  Games is like the only entertainment that didn't went a lot more expensive (compared to all the other entertainment Movies/Music etc.).

^ Agreed. I remember SNES/Genesis games that were $65-80.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Thats really good.

With how closely Iron Mans target demographic matches the PS3 userbase, how heavily advertized it is, and how it represents the benefit of Blu-Ray is 500,000 really that impressive of sales? With everything this movie has going for it you'd think that it would be able to approach the sales of Halo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4 yet it didn't even come close ...

Hehe - so much for blu-ray dying.

I wonder how Iron Man will do over the next few weeks though...